Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Stevens qualifies for 1500m

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:54 pm
Post subject: Stevens qualifies for 1500mReply with quote

Stevens to think about it

By Rebecca Williams - Fox

CRAIG STEVENS says he will seek the advice of coaches before making a decision about whether to step aside from the 400m freestyle for Ian Thorpe.

Stevens last night qualified for his second individual swim at the Olympics when he finished second to Grant Hackett in a personal best time in the final of the 1500m freestyle.

There has been debate all week about whether Stevens would surrender his place in the 400m for Thorpe - disqualified from his pet event last Saturday - if he qualified for the 1500m.

But Stevens said he would make a decision in his own time.

"There'll be a lot of advice coming from coaches and I will sit down and have a think about what's going to be best for myself and decide what's going to happen," Stevens said last night.

"I guess I can't delay too much on it (a decision). When I decide what I'm going to do, I'm going to come out with it."

Stevens, who qualified for the 400m when he finished second to Hackett, felt there was support for him to swim the 400m in Athens.

And he said he was eager to have a swim before his 1500m event, which is on the last day of the Olympic program.

"Everyone that has talked about it has kind of said 'whatever you decide to do, we support you either way'," he said.

"It would be good to have that event to start off with. To have a swim at the pool before the 1500m, (instead of) sitting around for a week, which I've had to do before to watch everyone swim.

"To sit on the pool deck for seven days, you become really agitated wanting to get in.

"I have that 4x200m spot in the morning, I hope. Either way, what I choose to do I'm going to have a swim before the 1500m, which is a bonus for me."

Stevens said he was relieved to put the week behind him and would now take time out to get away from the attention.

"I'll take a week off and think about it," he said.

"It's over now ... I can go away and have a week's break, do a bit of fishing, take my mind off it and have a think about what has happened."

Stevens admitted the week had taken its toll.

"The media entourage was a bit unexpected. I kind of expected it, but not as big as it was," Stevens said.

"Seeing my family on TV and in the papers, that was a bit traumatic. That kind of got a bit close. I was a bit annoyed that the media did annoy my family.

"I got a bit emotional during the week, but the last couple of days, with the support of Clark Perry, I settled down and concentrated on this race, which is what I've been training for.

"I couldn't let that stuff get in the way of my goals and I'm just glad I've achieved that.

"There have been so many close friends and family supporting me ... all my support staff, it has just been overwhelming."

Stevens said Thorpe had been a source of support last week.

"Ian, I guess, has been a really big support just having him on my side as well," Stevens said.

"Having Kieren (Perkins) voice his opinion has helped a lot. He has come up to me a couple of times.

"My squad mates Petria Thomas and Sarah Ryan, who have qualified for their third Olympic teams, they are inspirations."

While Stevens stole the headlines, Olympic backstroke silver medallist Matt Welsh was handed less favourable coverage.

Former head swimming coach Don Talbot said the out-of-sorts Victorian needed to lose weight ahead of Athens.

"He has high skin folds - too heavy," Talbot said.

"But he's a great swimmer. He's potentially a winner if he wants to be. It depends how hungry he is."

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
labrooy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a question that I am sure someone will know the answer to.

Ian Thorpe failed to qualify for Athens because he broke the start in the heats of the 400m. He therefore failed to register a qualifying time, according to my limited knowledge.

How then can Craig Stevens just stand aside for Ian Thorpe? Surely if he stands aside the next in line would be the guy who came third in the final, assuming of course he swam the qualifying time.

Just wondering.
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:50 am

Had a look at FINA (Worls Swimming Fed) qualifying regulations. Essentially, to qualify, a swimmer must swim a qualifying time between 1st April 2003 and 15the July 2004 at any FINA sanctioned meet.

Under this criteria Thorpe's time in winning the 400 at last years World Championship fits just fine. Some countries like Australia do set other criteria but this does give them a loophole.

A cold assessment of the situation is that Stevens is by no means an imposter in the 400 and is a more than reasonable chance of making the final, a creditable achievement on it's own. He is however a high 3.47 best time whereas the medals in this event will be decided at @ 3.44 between Hackett, Thorpe if there, Rossolino and poss Phelps. Stevens is unlikely to be a factor.

In the 1500, Hackett looks a prohibitive favourite. The minor medals are open slather and will probably be decided in the mid 14 min 50 sec. Stevens looks v good finals chance and with a best time at @ 15 min flat, is possibly in the mix.

If he were to forego the 400, he WILL have an earlier swim in the meet as he will swim the qualifying round of the 4x200 relay (unlikely to swim final).

As per Thorpe's prospects, he would be favoured in the 200 but is not invulnerable. At 400, he and Hackett look to have a gap on the rest. At 100, he is competitive but a notch behind the top 1-2, minor coin at best.

Not an easy situation at all and requires sensitive handling in any outcome. From a team situation, it favours Steven's stepping down but we are dealing with human beings not machines.

It obviously cannot be allowed to fester to too long but Steven's should be given sufficient time and peace to make his call. Whatever is decided should be respected by all parties , media and the public.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:10 pm

Thank you, wombat. Excellent info.

Some of the other posters in here could take a leaf out of the underground dweller's book.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:45 pm

Great info wombat.

I get the feeling from the interview the other night after the 1500, that Stevens will decide not to swim the 400. I think he'll do the relay and the 1500. From how saw it, Stevens was looking for a swim to warm up for the 1500, almost as if the 400 would only be a warm up for him and wasn't considering a medal.

I just hope whatever decision he makes, HE's happy with. I'd hate to hear he regretted swimming/not swimming the 400 in 5 years time.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
labrooy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:35 pm

Thanks wombat.

It still makes me wonder at the way qualifying is organised in Australia. There seems to be too much reliance on one performance. Grant Hackett could have missed out on the 1500m due to illness. Ian Thorpe has missed out on selection in the 400m due to his mishap.

I know that rules are rules but maybe a bit of common sense could be applied so that elite athletes are able to be selected despite making one mistake or suffering illness at the wrong time.
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:38 pm

Your concerns and comments are valid however the selection game for these sorts of events can end up a total minefield.

I'll try to explain the swimming situation to the best of my limited ability.

FINA (the sport's governing body) sets out it's criteria for Olympics and World Champs about 18 months before the event and set the qualifying period during which swimmers must satisfy the relevant qualifying times.

For this Olympics, the qualifying period is from 1st April 2003 until 15th July 2004 (the date when ALL Olympic entries must be nominated. Performances at the 2003 World Champs fit into this criteria and DO come into play when it comes to seedings for relay teams.

References are made to A and B qualifying time. The A time is a reasonably competitive level (equating to a top 16 semifinal level time). If you have 2 who can make this level then you can enter these 2 (max no. per event). B level is a lesser time and making this level can allow one only for that event. Australia has been strong enough to qualify 2 in all events.

Australian Swimming has taken the attitude of turn up and perform at the national titles or not be selected. This HAS been counterproductive in notable instances in the past; namely the instance of Murray Rose in 1964 who was US based but swimming WR times.

It certainly acts against o/seas based swimmers who may be unable to get back for the trials for valid reasons. More importantly, it does not take into account the top raking performer who, due to a temporary but nasty illness, cannot compete at the trials or who's performance is impaired.

It is an imperfect system and there needs to be consideration of these factors but it stacks up when compared to a number of other sports which have less cut and dried criteria and are subject to frequent appealls and legal challenge. Cases in point: athletics, cycling, triathlon, rowing where it can be a hodge-podge of qualifying times and periods, consideration of past performances, selection series and selectors subjective judgements.

Fun and games isn't it folks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: