Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ottke Wins,Hangs Up His Gloves

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:04 am
Post subject: Ottke Wins,Hangs Up His GlovesReply with quote

Ottke wins, hangs up his gloves
From correspondents in Magdeburg, Germany
March 28, 2004

SVEN Ottke finished his career unbeaten today, winning a lopsided decision over Swedish challenger Armand Kranjc to defend his WBA and IBF super middleweight titles.

After his dominating performance against Kranjc, one of Ottke's best, the 36-year-old German surprised even his manager with his announcement he was retiring.

"If you saw his performance today, it's sad, but it was his dream and mine for him to finish unbeaten," said Uli Wegner, who has trained him since his amateur days.

Ottke, 34-0 with six knockouts including sending Australian Anthony Mundine to the canvas, defended his IBF crown for the 21st time and the WBA belt for the fourth time, charging out from the first round against Kranjc and throwing flurries of punches that landed.

The Swedish former WBO middleweight champion may not have won one round in a bout ruled 120-110, 120-108 and 119-109 by the judges.

"I've never seen Sven throw this many punches," said Markus Beyer, the WBC middleweight champion who fights under the same promoter.

Ottke was simply too fast for Kranjc, charging in and landing everything to uppercuts and hooks, before pedaling out with the Swede swinging and missing.

His final fight appeared to rebuke the speculation that Ottke was losing the nimble footwork and speed that has marked his career.

"I knew this was coming for a long time," said Ottke, generally ranked No.1 in his division.

"But I was having more and more trouble with the hard training. Sometimes it's just time to call it quits."

Krajnc (29-3 with 21 knockouts) was jarred with hard shots through all the middle rounds and finished with blood running from a cut under his right eye.

"It's too bad, but I don't think there's many fighters that have retired unbeaten, and then after a fight in which his opponent didn't win a single round," said Ottke promoter Wilfried Sauerland.

Ottke, who also said back troubles were involved in his decision, plans to become a golf coach.

After a successful amateur career with 308 fights, he beat American Charles Brewer on October 20, 1998 to win the IBF title, then decisioned Byron Mitchell to add the WBA title in March of 2003.

Although the light-hitting German was often derided as being dull, his unusual stamina, speed and ring smarts made him a better pro than amateur.

Among his other big fights, he beat Thomas Tate, Joe Gatti and Mundine.

Agence France-Presse

cheers bryan..!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: