Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Skill errors?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 5:55 pm
Post subject: Skill errors?Reply with quote

I only heard the game on radio (the tape is in the machine but I cannot bear to watch it yet) but the commentators seemed to think that the turnovers cost us the game.
Anyone care to fill us in.
-Craig

The Phoenix Is Arising

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 7:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's true - not many of them can kick to a target and hit them right on the chest (although they seem to find an opposition player easily enough!). But also, they don't seem to man up - Richmond had so many loose players, it was unbelievable. Another thing is that they don't help each other out by sheparding or talking - often they have to rush a kick because they are about to be caught. It's very frustrating, especially when I know they can play a lot better (like last week and a patch in that last quarter tonight).

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 8:09 pm

Yeah. I'd agree. We showed some excellent error skills tonight. I'm sure they must practice turnovers at training, they're so good at them.

Does Matthew Knights play for Collingwood or something? We really seem to love giving him the ball. We did it last year in that absolute debacle when the wheels completely fell off for our season, too.

Tonight was a 100% improvement on that abortion of a game we played against Richmond last year. But there some absolutely horrible moments in the 2nd and 3rd quarters tonight when I could have sworn it was still 2000.

We might have to wear a bit of ridicule over the next few days, but que sera sera.

**floreat pica**

the prez 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 8:50 pm

Unfortunately as half the team is still young and inexperienced and not used to playing together,we will continue to see skillerrors and we gotta get used to them.Skill errors are a result of inexperience but as the team really gels and get used to playing together and knowing where everyone will be I expect to see them drop.Richmond made a lot of them as well.I put it down to pressure from both sides.I thought it was a good sign though that at no stage did we drop our heads and we hung in there all the way to try and stay in the game.Good signs for the future.Bit of a reality check after last week.But things could have been worse.

GO WOODS

ytry4 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 2:38 am

But inexperience is no excuse for NOT MANNING UP!!! It is the basic principle in football. All you have to do is follow your opponent, and not just drift where the wind takes you.

Go PIES 2001

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:44 am

ytry I think your being a bit harsh. I was at the game and no the manning up wasn't great but it was an improvement on the Hawthorn game. Give them time, they'll fix it up.

Black_White we did have some bad skill errors, Molloy missed a gimmee goal, We failed to punch the ball through for behinds twice that cost us goals and Lockyer kicked one straight to Knights who banged back over his head for a goal. Skill wasn't good, the guys just wern't on but I'm still proud of them. We were copping a hiding at three quarter time and the boys could've dropped their heads and got thrashed but instead they showed heart and fought back and actually gave me something to cheer about. I don't like losing, I'm getting really sick of it but as long as they have a go and thats what they did well thats all I can ask of them.

Rhain07 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 9:07 am

It is called Kicking the ball into space that we are missing. We seem to be kicking directly at a player that is leading (Tarrant) other than sticking it a fair way in front of him and letting him run into it. The passing into the forward line is what lost us the game, also our kicking at goal was very poor. We also need to centre the ball into the forward line other land kicking it out wide. When we get Adkins back I would strongly advise we place him in the forward pocket. He could be a key crummer in our premierships to come Rhyce Shaw and Alan Didak will also be big assets to the side once they mature with Rhyce Shaw having the midfield skills in his genes and Didak being a talented youngster that was picked up by us early in the draft.
We have a lot to look forward to. Be positive.

Keep on chanting!!!

ytry4 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 11:16 am

The other thing I should have talked about is Molloy's kicking. I don't know who his kicking coach is, but he should immediately be sacked! lol

He sure does have a strong mark, and good crumbing goals (which is a bit ironic, as he is considered on of our 'big men'), but his kicking style doesn't look right. He just lets go of the ball half way through the air, and that's why the ball often ends up a mongrel punt or one off the side of the boot.

Someone should talk to him about this.. which they probably are doing already..

Go PIES 2001

Broadie 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 7:38 am

Amazing.

Aren't these the same players who last week couldn't miss a target? Anyone for conceding that the skills are either there and the minds weren't, or that the skills aren't as bad as Friday showed, but they maybe believed their own press a bit too easily?

Just heed Mick's warning.

Broadie
Dantheman 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 9:32 am

As for not manning up, it's not as simple as just sticking on your direct opponent. Whenever the Tigers seemed to have free players everywhere, it was usually the result of a turnover. The collingwood players have to run off their men when we gain possession to provide targets up field. If the footy is then turned over, they are obviously in deep sh!t. But players have to take that risk, otherwise the ball gets kicked to no-one and we are left saying "who was that to?".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: