Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Reality Check

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ytry4 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 5:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some people on this BB do need a little bit of a reality check... It was a great win, but lets get carried away - the old cliche of taking it one week at a time. Remember what Mick Malthouse said in his press conference? The more successful teams like Carlton and Essendon get on with business, even after big wins. They don't get too excited...

I know this is a bit hard for US because we haven't had that much success over the last 5-10 years. We haven't had the 'winning culture' at the club, so we do get a little too excited with big wins like this.. But remember in the pst - 5 straight wins, but only to stall in the middle of the season.

Go PIES 2001

biodave 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 5:08 am

i back Hiya-and-Higher. As long as we're winning... why not enjoy it, for the time may pass up on us. Football at Vic Park is so unpredictable these days, esp. with a young list and the ever lurking possibility of a major setback. Let's live for the moment, and celebrate the achievements of our youngsters. Who knows what the coming season may bring...and who cares...As long as collingwood continues to prove the doubters wrong and emerge as the giant killers of the league...I'm more than satisfied.

LOVE THE PIES and...

bless their courageous hearts

Broadie 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 5:22 am

JB69 -

You'll find similar sentiments voiced by a number of us at many stages.

What gets us more optimistic this year is the absence of wheelchairs and passengers. YES, they need to put together a few seasons of sustained performances and reach finals (and I agree with Alf again - this year would be a huge bonus, not an expected result). But there are only a handful over 25, leta alone over 30.

This is the core of a successful era that has not yet begun.

Broadie
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 5:56 am

Well I didn't get to see the game on Saturday night but I was at the previous two games and thought we were fairly ordinary in both games. The boys must have had a night out on Saturday night. I wouldn't be excited about the win, enjoy it yes cos winning is so much better than losing. This team meed a lot of improvement, I went to an Essendon game a few weeks ago and I hate to say it but their skills are so much classier than ours. We have a long way to go, I'm not being critical, just realistic. The guys go out and give it their very best each week and play with tremndous heart and that's all you can ask of them. I just think a lot of you have your hopes up too high.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 10:02 am

Great win and it better happen alot more often but I will still be taking it "one week at a time".

afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 6:01 pm

well how did that go for the old reality check
%$^£$%^&%% I really hate losing , and that Yellow and Black sh.t really burns

Black_White 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 6:04 pm

Geez, I did not imagine that the negativity would jump up here so fast. Only 5 days to the next match, time to focus forward.
-Craig

The Phoenix Is Arising

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 9:04 pm

OK. Let's check the reality.

The reality is that we have a very good team wearing the black and white this year. They're not world-beaters ... yet ... but they're going to give us a lot of excitement this year ... win, lose or draw. They are good value.

I guess the player who epitomises the new Collingwood is Molloy. He is an inspiration to everyone around him.

Lonie is a class player ... already. Forget "potential". This guy is already one of the finest players in the A.F.L. He WILL win several Copelands and possibly a Brownlow or two. He WILL represent Australia against Ireland. He IS a champion.

Chad Rintoul is another great pick-up. A premiership player from a few years back, this bloke has the experience, courage and skill that we need.

Josh Fraser. Another great player, growing in stature with every game.

Tarrant ... now our 2nd highest paid player. And worth it. Showed his class last season after a couple of spasmodic season. But he's now one of the genuine stars of the AFL.

I could go on, I suppose. But really, the talent is there. (and I haven't even mentioned Buckley)

The REALITY is that we are privileged to call ourselves supporters of this team. Talent in abundance. And bit-by-bit it's starting to gel.

The REALITY is that we will get our arses kicked ... often ... as things continue to fall into place. And there's no guarantee of success because, unfortunately, other clubs have a lot of talent too.

The reality is that we are no longer the laughing-stock of the AFL. There are a few other clubs in a much worse state than us at the moment. So expect some good wins this season.

The reality is that we are not yet genuine premiership contenders. But we are capable of beating anyone ... including the genuine contenders ... on our day. When it all falls in place, it's bloody beautiful to watch.

The reality is that it's not going to "fall in place" all that often.

Reality is for people who can't handle drugs ... and I'm definitely one of those people who can't handle drugs. Therefore I've got no choice but to accept reality. And reality, for Collingwood at the moment, isn't too bad.

The reality is ... I'm enjoying this season ... the highs AND the lows.

**floreat pica**

the prez 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 9:28 pm

Well said Alf!We need to get used to up & down performances until the team really gels together.Of course having a full list available would be a bonus.

GO WOODS

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 1:43 am

The other 'reality' is REAL collingwood people dont go bagging the shit out of there club unless of course youre a social desperado who for some reason feels the need to be heard.The days of going from wooden spooners to near premiers is far gone it's gonna be a slow process and any sort of improvement will be most welcome,if you PART TIME collingwood supporters find that offensive...TWO WORDS.....PISS OFF.

There is nothing in life greater, than to be a supporter of our beloved collingwood football club,we must remain united,we must stand tall,we must be prepared to fight for our glorious black and white for we are the ENVY OF ALL NATIONS.'YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE'
http://www.mp3.com/joffa

afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 4:08 am

This match was part of the learning process for the players. When you can play like sh.t for 2 quarters and be within 1 point late in the last quarter, your not too far off the mark. As Mick said the players need to adopt a winning culture, and once they can, learning to make a charge fom behind, they will be a threat every week. Remember the good teams win even on there bad days.
Certainly the frame work is in place , the potential there, the youth outstanding , and perhaps a close loss , after being miserable through the middle of the game will give them the belief that they can, when applying for 4 quarters, shake and beat the best.
From a crowd perpective , although quiet last night , I reckon we were on a par if not in excess of the Tigers, though it only showed through for a few minutes when we closed on them in the final quarter.
Perhaps as much as the players may need to adopt the winning culture, some in the crowd will need to embrace a supportive passion from the first to the last minute (and not just when we look the goods). I reckon with the type of hype we use to generate , last night the army in the outer could have pulled the boys over the line.
But as with the players , the culture is slowly changing, and the consistent results will come.
Carn the Pies

Broadie 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 7:46 am

Well put Alf.

Broadie
Dantheman 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 9:21 am

I think most supporters are happy with the Pies progress. We've improved against every team we've played so far.

I wouldn't mind a season where the team wins a couple and loses a couple without any major streaks. It's better than win five, lose nine.

Still, don't hope for too much yet. We've got a sh!thouse fixture, and we don't get to play many of the crap teams for a few more weeks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: