Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Reality Check

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JB69 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:38 am
Post subject: Reality CheckReply with quote

I hate to be the devil's advocate or a wet blanket but you guys need a reality check.....Yes, the game on Saturday was awesome, kicking 10 goals in a quarter is something to be marvelled. But can we do this again. You shouldn't be getting this excited over one good win, we need to win many more if we are a GREAT team. Trust me, I have 10+ years more Collingwood experience than most people on this board and I can only remember one truly brilliant year and many years of heartache. Reread your messages in 10 weeks time and if they still hold true, you were right and I was wrong.

I'm just trying to prevent heartache.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 8:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well JB69 i can see you and i will get on like a house on bloody fire, so what if we are a little excited over our great win on sat night its better being positive than bloody negative and i'll give you my tip, we will be firmly entrenched in the 8 in ten weeks time so until then....ADIOS.

There is nothing in life greater, than to be a supporter of our beloved collingwood football club,we must remain united,we must stand tall,we must be prepared to fight for our glorious black and white for we are the ENVY OF ALL NATIONS.'YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE'
http://www.mp3.com/joffa

Big poppa pump 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 8:09 am

Yes i have to admit i am not getting to carried away just yet as we have all seen it b4 but u just get the feeling that these kids are different than those previous collingwood teams that haven't delivered and that they are totally united and really want to succeed so maybe just maybe this could be the spark that ignites us.

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 8:16 am

JB69,

Ah, yes. How well I remember last year. Those walking-on-water days at the start of the season ... and those weak-as-piss insipid performances for the rest of the year (with a bit of an improvement in the last 3 or 4 games).

I started this season expecting us to finish 16th, with 0 wins and 22 losses. Well, I was wrong. At the very worst, we will finish 16th, with 2 wins and 20 losses.

Are the Kennedy's gun-shy?
Is the Pope Catholic?
And do Collingwood supporters live in eternal dread of the next losing streak?

I know I do. I have decided that even if we win our next 8 games, and are sitting on top of the ladder with 10 wins and 1 loss at the half-way mark of the season, I WILL STILL NOT EXPECT TO MAKE THE FINALS UNTIL IT HAS BECOME A STATISTICAL CERTAINTY.

I know ALL about reality, mate.

**floreat pica**

SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 8:38 am

JB69, i think i want to live in my 'our team kicks arse' world. so dont bother me with reality checks, ok

sorry bud..LOL

SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 8:39 am

oh and another thing..

this time its the real deal.

[This message has been edited by SS11 (edited 17 April 2001).]
afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:52 am

Im partially with JB69 here (no offennce Joffa, and SS11, as I love the passion)but,although it was a great win (should that be sensational), and this team looks to have more depth and sunbstance than the 2000, 1999 etc models. I remember feeling just as euphoric, after a 12 goal win against the blues round 3 last year, and more so after the come from behind wins against Dogs, and Swans that followed. 6 years of mediocrity have thumped into me "dont count those chickens". So for me no wild predictions, just a firm belief we are heading in the right direction, and the hope that we are about to get there.
I bleed black and white , and after the last 6 years (since a moderate 1994) I definitedly need a PROLONGED transfusion. So yep Ill go nuts with each win, stick it straight up the opposition , but hope that the potential that we have is realised.

Go and kick the tigers a*se (we owe them )

DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:21 am

Hot damn who hasnt barracked for Collingwood forever and a day. Geez if u cant get excited over Sat night u should look for a heartbeat cos mine was working overtime and still is....cmon dont knock this collingwood folks its was truly a night to savour and one officially bringing on a new dawn at collinwood....Go Benny johnson

Louis

DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:21 am

Hot damn who hasnt barracked for Collingwood forever and a day. Geez if u cant get excited over Sat night u should look for a heartbeat cos mine was working overtime and still is....cmon dont knock this collingwood folks its was truly a night to savour and one officially bringing on a new dawn at collinwood....Go Benny johnson

Louis

DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:22 am

Louis

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:26 am

I would much rather the "Reality check" comes about from an on-field performance. We are all realists here no matter our age, we've all been through the pain of the "Shaw" years for a start.
So let us enjoy the moment and revel in our teams great performance.
When they stop winning that will be the time for "reality checks"

-Craig

The Phoenix Is Arising

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:27 am

I would much rather the "Reality check" comes about from an on-field performance. We are all realists here no matter our age, we've all been through the pain of the "Shaw" years for a start.

-Craig

The Phoenix Is Arising

This is not good, I have posted this but the message "page cannot be displayed " came up, so I re posted. Now there are 3 posts! Sorry!!

[This message has been edited by Black_White (edited 17 April 2001).]

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:27 am

-Craig

The Phoenix Is Arising

Sorry about the repeat post but something went crazy when i submitted and now I cannot delete it

[This message has been edited by Black_White (edited 17 April 2001).]

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 1:28 pm

Whilst the reading of the tea leaves at this stage of the season augers more positive than negative, we will only get the true picture after we have played every team once. I am a little more optimisic than last year, if for no other reason than we appear to have a little more experience and a little more depth. I've only seen the tape of the first game so far, but we look a little more polished. Perhaps the true test we be what we do after (God forbid) a loss or a hammering. Then we will see what character exists, but the noises made by the club thru the press seem to point to a bit more spirit and good old Collingwood G&D in the team.

I was rapt when I saw the scores against the Dogs, but they are a team on the way down one feels, and we should cack on them. can't wait to view the 10 goal qtr though, haven't seen one of those for a while! fridays game should be a real test, as we have been pretty useless against Tigers for a few years now.

JB69, if you have 10+ pie years on me, you must be Lou Richards grandfather!!!!!!

Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 6:03 pm

When I was a kid I used to virtually live and breathe Collingwood. Good mood if we won, bad mood if we lost, depressed if we were creamed...all the usual. I kept books of stats, clippings from the papers. Now that I've grown ...I realize it's not life or death...it's FUN...So let's ENJOY being on the threshold of having a good team...enjoy watching young talent developing...we have no duds...they're all good...if we get knocked off it's because the other lot have plenty of talent too, and it will fire on their day...sometimes the bounce of the ball will kill us...other times it'll give us amazing moments.

Here's just one of my old clippings I found over Easter:

Headline: Magpie Win Was So Boring. By Jim Robb. Collingwood beat Essendon so easily at Victoria Park on saturday it even bored its own supporters to tears. The magpies ruthlessly handed out a 147 points beating to Essendon, and it was no game. It was a massacre. After leading by 61 points at half time the Magpies could have been forgiven if they relaxed and gave their opponents their moments of glory. But there was no relaxating. Collingwood forged further ahead and midway through the last term it sensed it was within kicking distance of a VFL record.
Scores:
Coll: 5.5 - 13.10 - 23.15 - 30.20 - (200)
Ess: 2.5 - 3.9 - 5.10 - 7.11 (53)

Now just in case someone's thinking that I'm living on past glories, my response is this: It's the past glories that create the tradition. And what makes one club special? It's its tradition and the young guns wanting to be part of that old tradition...to be Legends who people will talk about 30 years from now. In times of crisis, its the feeling of being proud to be a Collingwood player that should lift our guys above the rest, and we have so many great moments to inspire us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: