Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Windies v. England 1st. Test

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:20 pm
Post subject: Windies v. England 1st. TestReply with quote

HERE WE GO!! am i pumped or what!! GO DA WINDIES!]

THE TRINIDAD GUARDIAN - Brian Lara

Jamaica and, by extent the Caribbean are buzzing as we go into the First Cable and Wireless Test Match against England at Sabina Park.

The last time these two teams met at this venue in February, 1998 there were only 56 minutes of play as the match was abandoned because of the state of the newly relaid pitch.

English batsmen were knocked about by our bowlers in the opening overs. It was not an encounter I or anyone of the players would like to remember and I am quite sure the fans, who were at the venue on that day, would not either.

Of course, we went on to win the six-match series 3-1 over Michael Atherton’s team. In saying that, I am truly hoping that we can have a full encounter this time around and our aim is obviously to start the series on a winning note.

We are fully aware that there is much interest in this series, both from our fans at home, as well as at various points around the globe and I know that the rest of the guys are very much committed to the task of getting the job done.

The England supporters have journeyed to the Caribbean in their numbers because they too feel that this can be a successful series for their troops and we expect them to make their presence felt in all of the matches, particularly in Barbados, where I expect that they may even out number the home fans.

Crowd support is always an important aspect and we intend to make our fans proud by performing as they would expect us to, which is to give it our all on every day of this tour.

Looking at the pitch, I definitely do not see a recurrence of what took place in 1998 and I think we can expect a result. There is that hint of unevenness but the Sabina pitch is one where you have to take a look at it on the morning of the first day to get a true picture, before making any assessment.

There has been much hype over our team for the series and the actual eleven which will be taking the field for this match. I will say that every player, who goes out there, will have his role to play and the responsibility of ensuring that he makes a significant contribution to the team’s overall display.

Young Dwayne Smith has been ruled out because of injury and will be wearing a splint on his dislocated finger for the next week as he goes through the recovery process. We will be going

into the match with a four-man pace attack and a decision will be taken as to whether we include either Ricardo Powell, who has been looking very compact, or Ryan Hinds because of his all-round abilities. I must admit that I would be much more comfortable with a bit of variation in our bowling department and Ryan might be the man getting the final nod.

The camp here was a worthwhile one, as it allowed us the opportunity to see the state of our physical and mental fitness, as well as to assess any minor injuries. Most importantly though, it gave us the time to come together as a team and renew that camaraderie which is always going to play a vital role in our overall performance. So in that regard, I can say that we are in top shape and raring to go.

One of the areas we have paid specific attention to is assessing just how good our opponents are. Like any team, England have their strengths and weaknesses and it is important that we attack the latter and try to limit them using their strong points against us. We are well aware that they are a much tougher team on the road today than they were six years ago and we do not expect them to give in at any time.

Their fast bowlers are a bit more experienced than ours but I don’t consider that to be any major advantage. Their captain, Michael Vaughan, is a world class batsman and they will be banking heavily on the experienced players like Graham Thorpe, Nasser Hussain and Mark Butcher, who passed a fitness test yesterday.

As captain of the team, my responsibility is always great and I feel no differently going into this series. It is an

important one as we embark on the journey to get our cricket back to the top and, while we will be aiming to play good cricket, winning is a priority for both myself and the entire team. I feel great and mentally I am ready which is something any top sportsman will tell you. I spent yesterday relaxing and playing a game of golf with Sir Vivian Richards and Ian Botham. It was just what the doctor ordered for me and now the time has arrived for battle on the field.

If I am to make any predictions, I would say that it will be a closely fought series. There will be occasions when one team may falter and it will be at during these periods that the opposing team will have to grab hold of the match. One thing I know for sure is that we would love to come to Trinidad one up in the series.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

England aim to end 36 years of hurt

Freddie Auld in Kingston - Cricinfo

It's been six years since England last toured the West Indies. In today's crammed international calendar, it feels like even more. Never mind that elusive Ashes urn, England still have to bury 36 fruitless years in the Caribbean, comprising six trips of bruises, bashings and beatings. The first round of the four Tests, at Sabina Park, promises to be an intriguing opening bout, with both corners sizing up evenly, but with players capable of packing a serious punch on their day.

One local magazine billed the series as the "Clash of the Titans". A bit over the top, you might say - yet with all the hype in Kingston ahead of Thursday, you wouldn't think so. All the talk from the locals, and most of the tourists as well, is that it will be close, but that home advantage will be the key to West Indian success. "The public will demand us to win," said Brian Lara, "and you'll see a different outfit at home."

There's no doubt West Indies are a better side on their own patch, due largely to what Lara described as a "comfort zone". However, this is a side that has lost recent home series against South Africa, New Zealand and Australia and they can't hide behind that piece of propaganda if things don't go to plan early on.

One thing that is true is that there is an obvious incentive for West Indies. "England are our biggest rivals," warned Lara. "They have done a lot for our sport. They are almost like a father figure." But West Indies are not planning on showing any respect to their elders. "We still feel the disappointment of losing the Wisden Trophy in 2000, and we will fighting all the way to get it back."

One of the worries for England was whether two weeks will prove to have been sufficient preparation time, but with a testing warm-up game against a Jamaica XI, and a not-so-testing one against the Vice-Chancellor's XI, Michael Vaughan insisted they are ready and raring to go. "Only three of us have played in the Caribbean before, so we'll have to get used to things quickly, but we can't wait for Thursday now. Thirty-six years ago none of my players were born, so we've got no cobwebs of the past."

For the first time in a generation, England will not have to cope with a world-class fast bowler in West Indies' ranks, but, then again, none of England's bowlers are pushing that particular bracket yet. Simon Jones and Steve Harmison are near-certainties to play, considering their genuine pace, while Matthew Hoggard is expected to take the last fast-bowling slot ahead of James Anderson.

Hoggard was the one bowler singled out by Lara as a threat to his side. Whether he was bluffing or not is another question. However, if Hoggard does play, it will cap a dismal last six months for Anderson, who will have gone from England's Brylcreem boy to baggage boy.

The only question mark in England's batting is Mark Butcher's fitness, but after a couple of light net sessions, and a round of golf, he is likely to keep his place ahead of Paul Collingwood. West Indies' plans, however, have been disrupted at the last minute by the withdrawal of Dwayne Smith with a dislocated finger on his right hand. "It was a most unfortunate development for the young man," said Ricky Skerritt, the team manager. "But Dwayne has the right attitude towards situations like this and there is no doubt he'll be back stronger than ever." He is likely to be replaced by either Ricardo Powell or Ryan Hinds.

The Sabina Park groundsman is the same one who concocted the infamous terror track for England's last Test here, in 1997-98. That match was abandoned after only 56 minutes before any English bonces were knocked off. This time is the groundsman's turn to put his head on the block. He insisted England would have nothing to complain about, promising good pace and carry, with a little uneven bounce later in the game.

As ever, the toss will play a big part, but an interesting fact to chew over is that only nine out of the 38 Tests played here have been won by the team batting first. And since Steve Waugh's world-turning double-hundred here in 1994-95, no touring side has scored over 350. So perhaps we won't have the predicted formula for success on this tour: bat first, post a daunting total, and bowl them out on the fifth day.

West Indies (probable) 1 Chris Gayle, 2 Devon Smith, 3 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 4 Brian Lara (capt), 5 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 6 Ricardo Powell, 7 Ridley Jacobs (wk), 8 Corey Collymore, 9 Adam Sanford, 10 Tino Best, 11 Fidel Edwards.

England (probable) 1 Michael Vaughan (capt), 2 Marcus Trescothick, 3 Mark Butcher, 4 Nasser Hussain, 5 Graham Thorpe, 6 Andrew Flintoff, 7 Chris Read (wk), 8 Ashley Giles, 9 Simon Jones, 10 Steve Harmison, 11 Matthew Hoggard.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:55 pm

Devon Smith and Ryan Hinds rescued the Windies from 4/101 with a 122 run 5th. wicket partnership.

Smith scored his maiden century, 108, and Hinds hit 84.

At stumps, the Windies were 9/311

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:57 pm

good days play... Hinds was terrific and so was Smith, good fightback by the young'uns.

Im proud, now to bowl de skunts out for 150 Very Happy

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:00 pm

Smith pops England's bubble

The Wisden Verdict by Freddie Auld

March 11, 2004

Devon Smith on his way to his maiden Test hundred© Getty Images

England are used to having problems against left-handed blokes called Smith, especially on the opening days of series. But while last summer's tormentor - Graeme - is a huge, hulking, mouthy bruiser, Devon Smith is an impish, more compact player who heavily favours the offside. After being dropped for West Indies' disastrous tour of South Africa, Smith forced himself back in to the side after racking up consistent scores in the Carib Beer Championship for the Windward Islands. And he carried on that form today, keeping things simple in a well-paced knock: starting slowly and stepping up a gear after lunch.

England took the early honours with the four big wickets - Chris Gayle, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Brian Lara and Shivnarine Chanderpaul - for only 35 runs, and would have expected to have been batting themselves before the close. But Smith, and later, Ryan Hinds, emerged as the unlikely saviours. While the big guns fired blanks, it was the young comeback kids, especially Smith, who took aim and popped England's early bubble.

The main steadying influence in England's weaponry is supposed to be Ashley Giles. But when Michael Vaughan tossed the ball to Giles with the West Indies on 130 odd for 4, his first ball was speared down the legside, the second was a long-hop outside off. It was a pivotal moment. Twelve runs came off the over and West Indies regained the initiative.

But on the whole, England didn't bowl badly, and a score of 311 for 9 is no disgrace. Hoggard and Steve Harmison made good use of the new ball, digging it in short of a length on a pitch offering good bounce, and when Simon Jones marked his comeback with one of the most coveted wickets in the world, England were riding high and seizing the initiative.

But the trouble with this attack is that nobody can quite provide that spark when things go flat. Andrew Flintoff and possibly Jones are the closest England have in terms of character, but Flintoff is rightly being used sparingly, and Jones, one tends to forget, has only played a single full Test match.

As the evening wore on, England needed someone to hold their hand up, as Nasser used to say, but, by that stage, all hands were on hips, complete with the hang-dog expressions. The Barmy Army did their bit to get things going again, and Giles responded with the fortunate dismissals of the impressive Smith and Hinds, but England were left pondering what could have been.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:10 am

Hoggard took the last wicket without addition to the score. He finished with 3/68.

Fidel Edwards (2/46) put a scare through the England camp by dismissing both openers but Butcher (50 n.o.) and Hussain (40 n.o.) have hit back with a 100 run stand for the 3rd. wicket.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:22 am

Butcher goes, caught behind for 58, to Edwards. 3/154.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:22 pm

Windies hit by Lara injury

From correspondents in Kingston, Jamaica - Fox

WEST Indies skipper Brian Lara has suffered a dislocated finger while fielding on the second day of the first Test against England at Sabina Park in Kingston, Jamaica.

Lara, who will have a scan on the injured little finger on his right hand, picked up the knock while attempting to catch Mark Butcher at first slip off Fidel Edwards in the final session of the day.

The West Indies captain, who had been involved in a heated discussion with umpire Billy Bowden just before the incident, immediately left the field for treatment.

Butcher was out next ball, caught by wicketkeeper Ridley Jacobs off Edwards for 58.

England finished the day on 154-3 in their first innings in reply to the West Indies' 311.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:59 pm

Dont worry donny Very Happy he's gunna be fine, will field and bat Tonight, well i hope we get a bat Very Happy
I@n S 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:33 am

Sky London News said Lara hasn't taken the field after the rain delay and Edwards who's taken the 3 wickets won't be playing the rest of the test match because hes hurt his back.
Sorry couragous cloke but "come on england" Very Happy
I@n S 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:37 am

and having just said that.
GP Thorpe c Sanford b Best 19 runs
Thorpe goes for the hook, and Sanford at deep fine leg counts him out.
Why play that shot so early in your innings?

England trail by 117 runs with 6 wickets remaining. Flintoff is in.
Here comes another England tumble no doubt Sad
Come on 117 more should be easy to at least get close to.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:54 am

England secure lead despite Best efforts

The Wisden Bulletin by Andrew Miller

Yesterday it was Fidel Edwards's turn to give England the hurry-up. But today, with Edwards off the field nursing a worrying back strain, it was Tino Best who stepped into the breach. With three vital wickets – his first in Tests – Best ensured that England's first-innings lead was kept to the barest minimum. By the close of another weather-shortened day, West Indies trailed by just 20 runs, and had everything to play for.

At first, the day had all the makings of a disaster for West Indies. Edwards's injury was compounded by the temporary absence of Brian Lara, who missed the first session after dislocating his little finger late on Friday afternoon. But after Nasser Hussain and Graham Thorpe had cruised to 187 for 3 in a nine-over mini-session, the rains forced a half-hour hiatus, and West Indies returned refreshed.

After a wide and woolly first over to Thorpe, Best soon found the perfect line to complement his pace, and Thorpe top-edged an uncertain hook straight to Adam Sanford at fine leg. Best's celebration was exultant – he had gone wicketless on debut against Australia last year, and after 30 overs of Test cricket, he had begun to wonder whether this wicket would ever come. So he hared around the pitch with his arms outstretched, before tumbling to the floor like Gazza expecting the dentist's-chair treatment.

His morning got even better two overs later. Hussain had been playing with typical phlegm all through his innings, but when he attempted to steer Best through the leg side, he managed only to chip a tame leading edge to the substitute, Dave Bernard, running in from the covers. Hussain was gone for 58 and at 209 for 5, West Indies sensed an opening.

But Chris Read and Andrew Flintoff carried England through to lunch without many alarms, and after another lengthy rain-break, Flintoff raced towards his half-century with a beautifully controlled innings, with clips and nudges for two replacing his usual meaty strikes.

Sadly for England, the beast in Flintoff can never be subdued for long. On 46, he attempted to smear the part-time legspin of Ramnaresh Sarwan over long-on and holed out to Ryan Hinds at midwicket (268 for 6). It was a disappointing end for Flintoff, and with the new ball just around the corner, it was a badly timed one as well – with Best's first delivery back, he caught Read completely out of position, and a throat-ball was shovelled to square leg (278 for 7).

But for all the wholehearted efforts of Best, West Indies's lack of experience began to show as the shine came off the new ball. Ashley Giles and the gloriously strokeless Matthew Hoggard milked some wayward fare from Sanford in particular, to carry England into the lead that included 60 extras. Sanford eventually got his revenge, bowling Giles off his pads for 27, but Simon Jones and Steve Harmison smacked a boundary apiece as England finished on a satisfactory 339, 28 in front.

Hoggard found some excellent movement late in the day as Chris Gayle and Devon Smith survived to the close. But with two days remaining, and Best's efforts notwithstanding, West Indies will be hoping that the probable loss of Edwards does not prove to be costly.

I@n S 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:10 am

England start well with 2 wickets to Harmison

C Gayle caught by Thorpe for 9 runs
R Sarwan plumb lbw for a duck. Thats a pair for him
Damn I wish this was on foxtel Sad
I@n S 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:15 am

Harmison to Chanderpaul, OUT: played this onto the stumps, and West Indies still trail by 13 runs. Bed time for me. Great start by England Very Happy
Lara comes out to bat but doesn't last
Hoggard to Lara, OUT: edges this into the slips, Flintoff pouches.
Thats 3 Ducks. England on fire

Hoggard to Smith, OUT: spliced this up for caught and bowled off the follow through
I@n S 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:32 am

West Indies all out for 47 in 25.3 overs
Harmison 7 for 12
Hoggard 2 for 21
Jones 1 for 10

Jacobs the highest scorer for the WI with 15 runs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: