Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rookie replaces Lee

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:23 pm
Post subject: Rookie replaces LeeReply with quote

Rookie replaces Lee

By Robert Craddock and AAP

RAW South Australian paceman Shaun Tait will replace the injured Brett Lee on Australia's tour of Sri Lanka.

The 21-year-old tearaway fast bowler has played just 14 first-class matches but was told of his Australian selection last night, a SA Cricket Association spokeswoman said today.

Tait, who has claimed 53 wickets at an average of 26.56, replaces Lee who is returning to Australia today after sustaining an ankle injury.

Tait, a strike bowler with pace said to match that of Lee, shot to prominence with a domestic one-day haul of 8-43 this summer and was chosen in Australia A games.

He snared 30 first-class wickets this season at 28.33 and will replace Lee, who said he is weighing up his options after his latest ankle injury.

"I'll sit down with (captain) Ricky Ponting when we get back to Australia and go through a few things with regard to my workload," Lee said before exiting the Australian camp in Galle, Sri Lanka.

"We need to work out how much they want me to bowl per day and what type of role they want me to play.

"Whether they want me to go in and bowl four overs flat out, have a rest and come back and bowl another four overs, and maybe only bowl 15 overs a day, or whether they want me to be more of a stock bowler and bowl 25 overs over a day."

Lee's injury is to the same ankle which was operated on to remove bone spurs and restricted him during the Australian summer.

"Since I've had the operation it hasn't felt quite right and that's from rushing back, not having a chance to have a proper rest and I've played a lot of cricket too this summer," said Lee. "I won't be coming back in a rush this time, I'll be taking my time."

During a marathon stint in December, Lee bowled 194 overs in four weeks which featured back-to-back Pura Cup games then back-to-back Tests against India.

That prompted the selectors to take a stand and make sure he is used as a shock, rather than a stock, bowler but it could not save Lee from his current distress.

With Glenn McGrath just returned from ankle surgery and Michael Kasprowicz sustaining shoulder soreness yesterday, Australia's bowling stocks are becoming brittle.

"What really hurt me is time off. I only had three weeks off and played six weeks after a major operation," Lee said.

"I have put up with a fair bit of pain over the last couple of years.

"I will try to give it as much rest as possible.

"You just reach the point where you know enough is enough. It is too much pain."

cheers bryan..!!
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting selection. More of a pointer for the future than a bowler likely to play a Test in Sri Lanka.

I doubt very much he'll actually play in a Test over there. Williams is already there and Tait is far too inexperienced to go straight into the big time, especially on Sri Lankan wickets.

Although, there's a perception Lee's express pace would've been very unsettling for the S.L. batsmen even though he's not express anymore. He just does not bowl in the high 150s, these days. But Tait IS quick.

If Kaspa's injury persists and a more pace friendly wicket is produced (an attempt at comedy there Laughing ) there's a rough chance of a Gillespie/Williams/Tait pace attack. Only a rough chance.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:38 pm

So have the selectors really got it in for Andy Bichel this time?

dyso

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:50 pm

Bichel's started doing a Dean Jones....talking to the press too much...he's finished, unless there is a plane crash!
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:24 pm

maybe he wants to play the Pura CUp final. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: