Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Runners

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:09 am
Post subject: RunnersReply with quote

The other day in the first test between Sri Lanka and the Aussies we saw a runner being used. Now that is nothing new, but the 'injured' batsman ended up scoring a century. As an aside, does anyone know the most runs scored by a batsman using a runner?

And this brings up my point - if a batsman is injured, should he be allowed to continue to play by utilising a runner? If a bowler is injured, he can't get someone else to come in and do his run-up! I realise that this may be a silly comparison, but do you get my point? You should either put up with the pain or whatever, or retire hurt. You certainly shouldn't be given an opportunity to stay out there and go on to score a century when it is not you actually doing the running!

I don't think runners should be permitted, especially not the farcical situation we used to see, with Ranatunga using a runner often, simply because he was too unfit to do the running himself!

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I tend to agree Kristin.

From my years of experience as a cricket captain, I can testify to how annoying it is when that happens. It's quite confusing out there with 3 batsmen especially for the younger players.

That brings up an aspect young players should be aware of. Both the injured batsman, when facing, and his runner are 'live'. If the batsman has played his shot and is out of his crease while the other two batsmen are running, he CAN be run out even if his runner had made his ground.

Ranatunga was a classic (dare I say) cheat with this rule. Once, when he called for a runner, Border asked him for a reason. "General soreness" was the answer. General fatness more likely. Laughing

A batsman is only allowed a runner if injured during the game. If a batsman comes into a match with an injury, the opposing captain can refuse a request for a runner.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Canberra Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:35 pm

I remember the farcical situation with Glenn Turner,captain of New Zealand on a tour here. He arrived with a suspect hamstring and struggled through until the Melbourne test. He wanted to leave the field and bring on the 12th man. The Australian captain,who was batting at the time,refused the request. Three overs later the umpires overruled the Aussies and allowed Turner to be replaced. I believe the rules have changed since then.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:33 pm

Towards the end of his career, Gordon Greenidge had a hammy that always mysteriously twanged a couple of overs into the oppostions innings, allowing Roger Harper to come on. Seemed OK to bat with though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: