Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Philippoussis: man or saint?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:46 pm
Post subject: Philippoussis: man or saint?Reply with quote

Courtesy www.thebladder.com

Scud: “I did it for the kiddies”
by STAFF REPORTERS

Australian tennis star Mark Philippoussis has revealed he lost last weekend’s Davis Cup tie because he couldn’t bear the thought of a quarter-final affecting the Seven network’s annual telecast of the Good Friday Appeal.

Australia was set to contest the quarter-final at home against the United States, starting on Good Friday, right up until Philippoussis lost both his matches against Sweden in straight sets in Adelaide.

“Like literally every single person in Melbourne, I grew up watching the Good Friday Appeal telethon,” Philippoussis told thebladder.com. "I was damned if I was going to be the person who sent us into a Davis Cup quarter that risked taking airtime from John Deeks reporting from the tally room or maybe Blue Heelers star John Woods interviewing footballers at the Royal Children’s Hospital."

“My worst nightmare wasn’t facing the media after losing to the Swedes. It was the idea that because I was due on a Sydney court against Andy Roddick, Melburnians would be robbed of the chance to hear Andrew Daddo introducing a fantastic musical act like Kaylan or Salsa live on stage at the Good Friday Variety Concert.

“Those kiddies are battling to survive or at least get better in the Royal Children’s Hospital, whether or not I win some tennis match. Good Friday is the day when they get their moment in the sun,” he said.

Reporters repeatedly tried to wind up the Philippoussis press conference but he insisted on reminiscing about great moments in the Good Friday telecasts. “There was the time Russell Morris and Ronnie Burns teamed up on stage, and there was a Lisa McCune song and dance number that really surprised me because – boy! – could she move and sing. I couldn’t believe it was the same Maggie that I loved in Blue Heelers, before the death, of course.”

Philippoussis said he always loved the energy and the excitement among watching children when The Wiggles performed at the concert, even though he didn’t have children himself, and he was forever impressed by some of the young talent – whether singing, dancing, or playing instruments – that the variety gala’s organisers unearthed each year.

“Am I disappointed that our chance of winning the Cup this year has gone? Yes, I am,” said Philippoussis. “Am I sorry that instead, I’ll be spending my Good Friday in front of the telly watching the guy who now hosts Wheel of Fortune talking for three hours to some Home & Away starlet while people talk aimlessly into telephones behind them? No, I’m not.”

Hooked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: