Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The odd couple - Andrew Symonds and Test cricket

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:39 pm
Post subject: The odd couple - Andrew Symonds and Test cricketReply with quote

The odd couple - Andrew Symonds and Test cricket

Symonds in contention for Test team

AAP

February 9, 2004

Andrew Symonds is under consideration as Australia's first genuine Test allrounder in a decade partly due to his bowling repertoire.

Not since Steve Waugh finished his days as a regular change seamer in 1994 have the Aussies boasted a viable allrounder, but Symonds's bowling versatility and the dusty, dry wickets of Sri Lanka have him on the brink of selection. Trevor Hohns, the chief selector, today admitted he was in the running for next month's three-Test series in Sri Lanka.

"While they're both different games he's in outstanding form at the moment," Hohns, whose four-man panel will select a 15-man squad on February 20, said today. "He's a very entertaining player and certainly will come into contention for the Test match part of the tour."

Although his powerful hitting highlighted his worth this summer, Symonds's selection loomed due to his ability to bowl offspin and medium pace. His Test aspirations were strengthened not only by his remarkable limited-overs turnaround, boasting 1071 runs at 48.68 since his surprise selection for the 2003 World Cup, but also the likely return of Shane Warne.

The biggest call of the Sri Lankan series will not be whether Warne tours, but whether he plays in the first Test with Stuart MacGill. If both legspinners play, and a batsman is not dropped to make way, Australia will take only two fast bowlers into the important series opener in Galle, on March 8. For that reason, Symonds is a strong candidate as a first-change bowling option and a spinner who turns the ball in the opposite direction to Warne and MacGill.

Terry Oliver, Queensland's coach, said that Symonds's selection was important for Australia's balance on wickets prone to spin. "If they were looking for versatility over there in Sri Lanka they'd be mad not to pick Andrew. He's the best fielder in the country, with Ponting, is in sensational form with the bat, gives you good spin and seam bowling options and he has the ability to swing the ball Irish [reverse-swing] as well. I think it would be the right move. If he can get in there and establish himself in Sri Lanka, you've got the India tour at the end of the year - that's the one frontier Australia hasn't conquered "

Symonds, who could bat at No. 6 or No. 7, allowing Adam Gilchrist a possible move up the order, would have the added advantage of being road-tested against Muttiah Muralitharan in the one-day series, starting next week.

"He'll be used to the surface and the bowlers and that will count in his favour," Oliver said.

Asked previously about Test aspirations, Symonds had said he hoped for an opportunity to show he could succeed at the top level.

"I just want the one chance to prove it."

© AAP

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I certainly think he's worth a try at Test level.

Sort of a rich man's Funky Miller - probably not quite the bowler yet but a potential match winner with the bat and an asset in the field.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:37 pm

Australia would be basically playing with 8 batsman if he plays as a bowling all rounder ?? Or would he take the place of a batsman ??

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Gilchrist
Symonds
Lee
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

That is just an idea for a team with the bowling at full strength.

jlc

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:45 pm

I think that Symmo would be great for the Test side. A brilliant field, handy bowler and the hardest hitting batsman around. Just think, he and Gilly midway through the 2nd day with the bowlers wishing that they were in bed!!
Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:18 pm

JLC wrote:
Australia would be basically playing with 8 batsman if he plays as a bowling all rounder ?? Or would he take the place of a batsman ??

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Gilchrist
Symonds
Lee
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

That is just an idea for a team with the bowling at full strength.

jlc

How good is this team??? Wouldn't guarentee Katich, Martyn won't be dropped.

I'm all for Symmo to be in the test team, i've always hoped he would step up to make the test team. He could be a similar player to Ian "Beefy" Botham, bash & crash batsman who can bowl 1st change seamers or offies later on if needed!

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:10 pm

Clarke is NOT in the Test team yet. Martyn is probably in for Test 1. Barring injury or major misfortune, Katich is in.

Would not surprise to see Symonds play Test cricket in the next season or 2 if he can put together good enough performance in the longer game.

zoia Virgo

didak's number 1 fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:38 pm

i rekon katich has earned his spot, piss martyn off i rekon
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:18 pm

Yeah that was my best team for Australia not the one Hohns and his merrymen will pick.

jlc

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:07 pm

Interesting side JLC but curious that you have Dizzy at no.10. Looking at recent times, I'd have him ahead of Bing for Tests at least. Warney is another matter, had the ability to be a good all-rounder but has largely wasted his batting talents.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:14 pm

Yeah true Dizzy is the perfect night watchman.

Lee is more the squash buckling batsman.

jlc

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:38 pm

Squash buckling ?? That'a new one !! For all his swash and buckle, Bing come off all too infrequently in Test cricket, usually with his house knocked over for no v many.

Dizzy as night watchman. Interesting. He's always had a good defence but in the last 2 seasons has shown more run scoring capability with some power added to the defend and nurdle.

Bing's last over 6 in Sydney in the one-dayer was his one batting highlight for the summer. One-dayers we can quibble but for Tests it's Dizzy ahead of Bing until Bing proves otherwise.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:58 pm

Didnt Lee smack Pollock for about 20 runs from one over in Perth last time they were here??

jlc

Collies4Eva 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:09 am

Get rid of Marto and put Symmo in. Marto's becoming more and more like jeff boycott every match - much as i was glad to see him back in sum semblance of form last sunday i was glad he got out coz we was slowing our runrate down bigtime, if symmo had come out ahead of him i reckon we couldve cracked 400+
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:32 am

JLC wrote:
Didnt Lee smack Pollock for about 20 runs from one over in Perth last time they were here??

jlc

He belted 50 odd v the windies last time they played in Perth too.
Lee is quite at home smacking quicks/mediums when the ball ain't doing anything, but if there's a bit of sideways movement, he ain't as productive. Reasonable technique, good eye to hit through the line. reminds me a little of Richard Hadlee, who would smack ordinary straight bowling about, but didn't fancy the short stuff.
2 PIES IN CAIRNS Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:30 am

Collies4Eva wrote:
Get rid of Marto .... i was glad he got out coz we was slowing our runrate down bigtime+

Reckon you're being a bit harsh. 67 off 76 would be acceptable to most people, particularly from a guy who was probably playing for his career. His strike rate was only just under Gilchrist's. Suppose you're "off" Gilly as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: