Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"We're not bullies"-Gilly

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:30 am
Post subject: "We're not bullies"-GillyReply with quote

We're not bullies: Gilchrist

By Jon Pierik Fox Sports

INDIA's teenage fast bowler Irfan Pathan was yesterday reprimanded for misconduct as Adam Gilchrist claimed Australia had unfairly been branded the bully boys of world cricket.

Match referee Clive Lloyd found the hot-blooded Pathan guilty of misconduct when he clapped in the face of Australian batsman Damien Martyn as he left the crease in the one-day final between Australia and India in Sydney on Sunday.

Gilchrist yesterday told SEN radio he considered sledging a non-issue and that Australia gave as good as they got.

"Whenever the word sledging comes up we seem to be thrown in as the bully boys but I can promise you it ain't the case," Gilchrist said.

"It goes on. It's not drastic. It is not personal. It is just a few words said in the heat of battle. I can promise you we are not the only ones. I am more than confident of saying that.

"I am not sure whether it is a cultural thing. We kept getting told it is a cultural thing and other people's cultures don't adhere to this type of stuff. If that is what they are believing then the wool is being pulled over their eyes.

"Maybe we have been less subtle about it and what we don't do is when it does happen is go running and squealing to umpires. We just cop it, get on with it. Other teams can be pretty happy to make a bigger deal of it.

"Sledging gets way too much discussion for what is really going on. Certainly there are things said out there and both teams partake. There is no denying that. I don't want to sit here and say the Indians are sledgers and they are the ones that start it."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: