Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Warne's ban finishes today.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:46 pm
Post subject: Warne's ban finishes today.Reply with quote

Wait your turn, Shane

By Barry Toohey and Cameron Bell

Fox

THE Shane Warne comeback juggernaut has hit the wobbles, with several highly respected former players declaring he should be made to fight for his place in the Australian team to tour Sri Lanka.

Warne makes his much-anticipated return on Tuesday, slotting into Victoria's Second XI side on day two of its game against Queensland.

Having completed his 12-month drug suspension, the expectation is Warne will walk straight back into the Australian Test side.

But that line of thought has been torpedoed by a panel of former Test stars polled by The Sunday Telegraph.

Neil Harvey, Doug Walters, Dean Jones, Kerry O'Keefe, Len Pascoe and Greg Matthews – who between them played 277 Tests – were asked a series of questions on some of the biggest issues facing Australian cricket.

Their views differed on issues such as who is the best cricketer in the world and which team is likely to challenge Australia for Test supremacy in the future.

But they were almost unanimous in their thoughts on Warne's comeback with only Pascoe in favour of the controversial leg-spinner's automatic reinstatement to the Test side.

Matthews, never backward in coming forward with his views, was the most outspoken on the Warne issue.

He believes the Test selectors should show Stuart MacGill the respect he deserves by retaining him ahead of Warne for the tour.

"Stuart MacGill has done a stunning job in the past 12 months . . . just stunning," Matthews said.

"He gets my vote.

"Let's look at the statistics – Stu is the fourth-fastest Australian cricketer to reach 100 Test wickets.

"He got there quicker than the great man DK (Dennis Lillee), and quicker than Thommo (Jeff Thomson).

"Where's the respect for him?

"I hope 'Suicide' (Warne) doesn't come straight back in, and I'd love to see Ricky Ponting put his arm around Stu and say 'I love you brother, I'm with you all the way and I will stick with you'."

While making it clear he was not denigrating Warne, Matthews said the spin king should have to work to win his place back in the side.

"Look, I was there in Sri Lanka back in '92 when Suicide became a star. I sat next to him on the bus so I know the bloke and I know his greatness.

"But Stu has paid his dues. Where has he fallen over? He's proved he is also one of the greatest."

Former Test leg spinner O'Keefe also believes MacGill's achievements have to be respected.

"Shane's selection shouldn't be automatic," O'Keefe said.

"His form has to be monitored on his return and MacGill's wicket-taking accomplishments have to be respected."

Dean Jones's views echoed those of Matthews and O'Keefe, claiming MacGill should be afforded at least a couple of Tests in Sri Lanka.

"He took the second-most number of Test wickets in the world over the past 12 months," Jones said.

But Pascoe believes Warne is the player to steady Australia's ship.

"I feel he should come straight back in," he said. "The guy has been the greatest leg-spinner of all time.

"He is still young enough and has the right mental approach to the game."

West Indian great Brian Lara failed to figure when the panel named their best player in the world.

Jones could not split Ricky Ponting, Matthew Hayden and Sachin Tendulkar while Walters singled out Ponting, Harvey and Tendulkar.

O'Keefe went for South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis and Kallis's teammate Shaun Pollock.

Pascoe rated India's V.V.S. Laxman the best after he "brought Australia to its knees this summer".

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane likely to struggle: Ganguly

By Robert Craddock - Fox

INDIAN captain Sourav Ganguly has forecast tough times ahead for Shane Warne when he goes to Sri Lanka and India to confront a slow bowler's ultimate challenge.

Ganguly believes Warne will not have lost the magic that netted him 491 Test wickets and may even return a rejuvenated force when his one-year suspension for taking a banned drug ends on Tuesday.

But the Indian captain believes Warne will face a difficult challenge in making an immediate impact on this month's tour of Sri Lanka and an even greater one on a rugged tour of India in October, in which four Tests will be squeezed into five weeks.

"He will be all right," Ganguly said.

"This was an unwanted layoff, but it does help cricketers because he will come back fresh. I don't think he will have a problem switching on, but at the same time they are going to Sri Lanka where they plan spin well. It will be a tough tour for him to come back on."

The Sri Lankans play spin well, but India is without peer. Stuart MacGill had the uncomfortable feeling the Indians were reading almost every ball he bowled this summer, an experience shared by international spinners around the world.

Ganguly confirmed coach John Wright does not even bother tutoring his players about how to play spin because they are exposed to so much of it from such a young age their techniques are fine-tuned by the time they reach Test level.

"It is what we are brought up with," Ganguly said. "If you look at our batting side, all of our batsmen play spin very well.

"We have played him well over the years. You cannot take his record away against other sides and he is a great bowler."

Warne's Test record against India (29 wickets at 55) is easily his worst against all nations.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:58 pm
Post subject: Re: Warne's ban finishes today.Reply with quote

[quote="MAGFAN8"]Warne's ban finishes todayquote]

All I can say to that is... Thank God!
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:10 pm

Shall we run a book of odds as to the date and nature of Shane's NEXT drama ???
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:22 pm

First time he steps back onto the ground?

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:31 pm

Or picks up the phone !!
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:23 pm

Or tells his mum he's feeling crook....

dyso

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:34 pm

commonwombat wrote:
Or picks up the phone !!

I think Telstra might be still after him to pay his SMS billl it would be a massive bill too.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:44 am

One hopes that Warney may have had the snips whilst on the sidelines, probably his missus would have insisted.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:50 pm

Warney was able to put his feet up during the first day of his comeback match.

A former team-mate, Paul Reiffel, could not as he was umpiring.

Victoria Second XI 1st innings R

RG Marcy c Hartley b Sullivan 34
M Klinger c Nye b Brant 0
GC Rummans c Hartley b Sullivan 34
BR Joseland not out 100
N Jewell not out 103

Extras (lb 3, nb 16) 19

Total (3 wickets, 96 overs, 371 mins) 290

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:39 pm

The scene is set for Warne's return

Wisden Cricinfo staff

The one man and his dog who usually attend second-team cricket will need to arrive early at the Junction Oval in Melbourne tomorrow if they want to get a seat to watch Victoria's 2nd XI play their Queensland counterparts. For Shane Warne's 12-month ban ends at midnight tonight and as he returns to the game the world's media will be in attendance.

The match might be low-key but the occasion will not be. A big crowd is expected, and among them will be Trevor Hohns, Australia's chief selector. "That's if I can get in," Hohns joked. "I think it's probably a sell-out. With all the publicity it's received it's going to be a big occasion for a lot of media people and probably some of the public as well. But for Shane it will be nice to see him back playing cricket again."

Warne sat out the first day's play –the last of his ban – but will join in tomorrow, replacing one of the Victoria side in an agreement made before the match. He didn't miss anything as Victoria won the toss, batted, and at the close had reached 3 for 290.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:27 am

Hohns gives Shane hope
By Robert Craddock
February 10, 2004

DARREN LEHMANN was left in the cold and Shane Warne given a hint he would be welcomed back when Australia yesterday stayed loyal to the one-day unit that is slaying the cricket world.

World champion Australia has lost just five of its past 42 one-day internationals and the selectors obviously like the chemistry of the squad, which was defeated only once in the VB Series.

The predictable 15-man squad, which leaves for Sri Lanka on Friday, contains fast man Michael Kasprowicz, who has elbowed Andy Bichel back to Pura Cup cricket, wicketkeeper Brad Haddin, chosen as a back-up to Adam Gilchrist, and Michael Bevan, who returns from a rib injury.

The panel could find no place for the experienced Lehmann, yet to strike his best form in a comeback from a strained achilles tendon.

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns said Lehmann needed to "put a few performances" before the panel to work his way back.

This is a crucial time for Lehmann's career as he wades through the emotional aftermath of the death of his friend and boyhood hero David Hookes.

If he can force his way on to the three-Test tour of Sri Lanka next month, he may set himself up as a senior member of the side and have several bountiful years before his career ends.

If Lehmann misses that tour, his international career may be over.

Warne, who returns to cricket with the Victorian Second XI today, was not considered for the tour because he is officially retired from the one-day game, although he is considering a comeback.

Hohns was cautiously optimistic about the Victorian leg-spinner's future if he made himself available for ODIs.

"Given the Australian one-day side has been very successful, that would be a difficult one for us to include him over the top of the others if he was to make himself available," Hohns said.

"In saying that, he would be most welcome if he was to make himself available for selection.

"Then we would just have to make a judgment whether we should pick him."

Warne has taken 291 wickets in 193 ODIs at an average of 25.82.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:42 am

Nervy Warne 'the best'

By Michael Horan and AAP

SHANE WARNE says he's nervous about his much-anticipated comeback today.

But as he prepared for his return from a 12-month ban after testing positive to a diuretic, he said: "I firmly believe I am the best leg-spinner and I will fight for my place in the Australian team."

Warne arrived at Melbourne's Junction Oval this morning to play for a Victorian Second XI against Queensland.

The teams agreed for Warne to join the Victorian side on day two of the match.

Warne's 12-month doping suspension expired at midnight.

He told reporters he's nervous and excited about playing and looks set to bowl early on in proceedings.

But overcast weather in Melbourne may be the wildcard, with light rain falling in the city earlier this morning.

The Victorians resume their first innings at 3-290 after captain Peter Roach won the toss yesterday.

In a career that has produced 491 wickets in 107 Tests, the king of spin said he felt "absolutely no pressure", but was "excited" about playing again.

He also revealed he wasn't "desperate" to immediately play for Australia and would contentedly bide his time playing for Victoria in the Pura Cup.

"My goal is to make the Sri Lanka tour but if I don't, it really doesn't matter," Warne said.

"I'm not feeling desperate to get back into the side.

"If I don't, chances are I'll play in a home Pura Cup final for Victoria, which would be a pretty good alternative.

"As usual people presume to know what I want in my cricket career, but the fact is the thrill of walking through the gate and not knowing what is going to happen next is the important thing.

"I love the game and just playing again and letting it unfold is the exciting thing," Warne said.

"People think I'm desperate, that's wrong.

"If I don't make the Sri lanka tour it's not the end of the world. I know I'll get back into the side eventually.

"I believe I'm the best leg spinner in the country. That's not saying anything against Stuey MacGill or the great job he has done, but I have to back myself and believe in myself."

With national chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns looking on, Warne said he felt he was in a win-win situation.

"I'll be thinking a few things when I drive into the Junction Oval, but there are no nerves at all. I'm just excited to be back playing," Warne said.

The controversial leg spinner received good luck calls from near and far yesterday, inlcuding Australian captain Ricky Ponting.

"The well-wishing from friends and teammates has been terrific," he said. "Through this whole past year it is the support of my teammates and friends that has made things easier."

Hohns will alternate between Warne's game and the Pura Cup match between Victoria and South Australia at the MCG.

Only the "Warne factor" could get the national chairman of selectors to a second XI game when the first XI is playing up the road.

"The publicity surrounding Shane's return has been unbelievable," Hohns admitted yesterday.

"Shane is a big-name player, he's been an outstanding player for Australia, so everyone has been waiting for him to get back, there is no doubt about that.

"I'll be poking my nose in, having a look. It's a matter of going to have a look, see how he's bowling."

The Test squad for Sri Lanka will be announced on Friday week – the day after the scheduled finish of Warne's comeback first class game for Victoria against Tasmania at the MCG.

Hohns admitted he wasn't sure if it was enough time for Warne to convince the selectors he is ready for the international stage.

"I'm not sure, that's a judgment we'll have to make at that stage," Hohns said.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:28 pm

Vic second XI decared at 6/379.

Joseland remained 139 n.o. and Jewell scored 137. Warney made 11.

i_luv_tarkyn! Scorpio

Dream Big!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:38 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

WARNIE IS FINALLY BACK!!!
so happy

luv jess

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: