Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gilly's happy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:54 pm
Post subject: Gilly's happyReply with quote

Gilchrist happy in dual role

Fox

ADAM Gilchrist has put fears that he is burnt out to rest by confirming he's relishing the dual role of one-day opening batsman and wicketkeeper in the tri-series against India and Zimbabwe.

The Australian star admitted he was weary and in need of a rest immediately after four Tests against India in which he had a paltry return of just 96 runs from six innings, underlining fears he needed a break.

But after a pair of quickfire 34s in Australia's opening two one day wins, Gilchrist said he was happy at the top of the order and that limited overs cricket's evolution to an attack-at-all-costs style suited him perfectly.

"I see myself as a wicketkeeper first and foremost ... I pride myself on my record and my performances that have warranted staying in the team," he said at training in Sydney today.

"If the next guy that plays for Australia is the best wicketkeeper and he can bat in the top four, well he should do it.

"But if he can't and he bats at No.11 it's no big difference.

"I do think one-day cricket changed the way keepers were looked at and there's been a few points in history that changed it too.

"The (World Cup-winning) Sri Lankans in '96 by getting Kalu (Romesh Kaluwitharana) in there, opening with him and letting him tee off in the first 15 overs, plus he's a wicketkeeper, so that gives it a handy balance."

Gilchrist started his one-day career as a middle order batsmen, then played as a keeper batting down the order.

He began opening during the 1997-98 tri-series and has made the role his, going on to become one of the most dashing and innovative strokemakers in world cricket.

Ahead of Friday's match against Zimbabwe at Bellerive Oval, Gilchrist said he was ready to put his first genuine career slump behind him.

"I said after the Tests that I was tired," he said today.

"If I had done a press conference 24 hours later it probably would have been a whole different tone.

"I got a chance to have a rest, have a good sleep ... it was pretty consuming, the whole Test series, with the challenge from the Indians and obviously Stephen's (Waugh) scenario.

"It was pretty all-encompassing, the Test series.

"This series is a brilliant time of year, you are on the road, it is pretty demanding, but it's just great fun."

Australia is yet to hit its straps in the series, but its spread of talent has secured two wins from two matches.

While Gilchrist, captain Ricky Ponting and Matthew Hayden are still to fully fire, Michael Clarke (63 and 40), Andrew Symonds (88 and 42 and four wickets), Brad Williams (seven wickets at 10.57) and Ian Harvey (28 and 22 and three wickets) have filled the breach.

"The feeling in the squad at the moment is terrific," Gilchrist said.

"A lot of focus used to go to the bigger fish in the team ... but it's Symonds, (Andy) Bichel, (Brad) Hogg in the World Cup and Ian Harvey now.

"We've got a lot of people who can help out if someone misses out."

The Australians will train in Hobart tomorrow before watching the India-Zimbabwe clash.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: