Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hewitt plans for regaining No.1

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:30 am
Post subject: Hewitt plans for regaining No.1Reply with quote

Hewitt beefs up team

Fox Sports

LLEYTON Hewitt has bolstered his support staff for a fresh assault on the world No.1 ranking.

Hewitt, 22, has recruited Adelaide pennant and occasional satellite tour player Jimmy Chaousis to assist coach Roger Rasheed.

Currently world-ranked 17th after a year of injury and moderate Grand Slam form, Hewitt hopes to quickly regain a single-digit ranking.

Chaousis, who has a physical education degree, will help as a hitting partner and with off-court training.

Rasheed, condemned by many after Hewitt's first-round Wimbledon loss to Ivo Karlovic, was hailed by Australian Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald during the 3-1 win over Spain.

The former touring pro formulated a high-risk fitness and recovery strategy for Hewitt after his foot injury in September.

At Rasheed's behest, Hewitt had a wart removed from his heel before embarking on a virtual pre-season preparation for the Davis Cup final.

The move paid dividends as Hewitt followed his Cup semi-final win over Roger Federer with an impressive success over Juan Carlos Ferrero in the final. But it was not without cost.

By missing several tournaments after the US Open, Hewitt's ranking plummeted, leaving him without the protection of a high seeding at this month's Australian Open.

Hewitt, however, is unfazed because his main goal at the start of last season was Davis Cup success.

But now he wants to reprise his best Grand Slam form.

"The Australian Open is the one Slam I've always wanted to do well at," Hewitt said, while preparing for his first Hopman Cup match tomorrow.

"The funny thing is that I've never really done that well there, so I'm not that worried about where I'm seeded.

"I've had my best Grand Slam results overseas, but I'd love to win the Australian Open, obviously."

Hewitt will play either Canadian Frank Dancevic or Hungarian Atilla Savolt in the Hopman Cup on Sunday -- depending on the result of today's Burswood play-off.

He then has round-robin matches against Belgium's Xavier Malisse - and a mixed doubles confrontation with fiancee Kim Clijsters - and Slovakian Karol Kucera.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

first he'll have to pull that stick out of his arse then he's got a chance..
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:24 pm

Not sure it's a stick CC, but it's obviously something sharp, painful and a sympton of some unfortunate attitude problems.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:39 pm

An attitude condoned by tennis officialdom.

First by Connors and Nastase and then taken to new heights (depths) by McEnroe.

It brought paying customers in so they turned a blind eye.

Hewitt, a very talented tennis player, is not as bad as McEnroe was but the influence is obvious.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: