Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tugga's Replacement

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that Lehmann would be stone cold cert to automatically return. His intl record is certainly repectable but not overwhelming. He would, to my mind, have to prove his full fitness and form but he would obviously have to be seriously considered by the selectors.

Katich has been able to steal a jump on some of the others and let's see what he does with it. Love will, I fear, be destined to be a Mr Fix-it over the next season or so pending continued form. By this I mean that he will get matches here and there due to injuries but despite performing well being liable to miss out upon return of the regular incumbent.

I agree with Donny's point about Clarke and D .Hussey. Clarke's talent is patently obvious but has yet to sustain consistent performance. He should not be rushed in but he does have the eye of selectors and a media push behind him so he may be the golden child. David Hussey, it really is early days and he would legitimately be behind other contenders, an A appearance is more down his line in the nearer future.

To those Vics claiming discrimination, apart from Warne returning you frankly are short of front-line contenders for the short term vacancies. Elliott is certainly good enough but will prob miss out on any opening vacancies due to age; Hodge is behind others for middle order spots and has not made anything of A team opportunities he has been given and Hussey has been discussed above.

Inness may be a shot down the track for a pace berth but will have to be back on the field performing. The brightest hope that I see is Cameron White overtaking McGill in the spin pecking order and becoming replacement for Warne pending his retirement or further personal disturbances. White's allround ability may see a ODI debut in the near future but hope media and public comparisons to Warne don't destroy him.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:39 am

Well they must be doing something right as they are on top of the Pura Cup table.

jlc

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:48 pm

Here is his track record and not nearly as poor as you propose

Tests: 15
Runs: 995
HS: 177
Avg: 49.75
100's: 3
50's: 4

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:23 pm

Who were the 100's scored against......lmao

Lets see an average against each team

jlc

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:28 pm

Wow Lehmann averages 143 against Bangladesh.

overall 15 995 177 49.75 3 4 7 3/61 25.71 0 8 0

v Bangladesh 2 287 177 143.50 2 0 0 - - 0 0 0
v England 5 146 42 20.85 0 0 0 - - 0 2 0
v India 1 52 52 52.00 0 1 1 1/27 27.00 0 2 0
v Pakistan 2 127 98 42.33 0 1 1 1/6 18.00 0 1 0
v West Indies 4 353 160 58.83 1 2 2 1/6 28.00 0 2 0
v Zimbabwe 1 30 30 30.00 0 0 3 3/61 21.33 0 1 0

Those statistics are hardly anything to write home about. The West Indies bowling attack is pretty weak atm as well. How deceptive stats can be. Im sure Steve Waugh or Border dont average as much agaist the Windies but they faced the likes of Ambrose and Marshall etc.

jlc

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:20 pm

JLC his stats against Pakistan is quite good as well. He hasn't played against RSA which probably have the next best attack along with NZ. I see most of his averages against those teams are above 40 bar England and Zimbabwe (which can be discounted). You are right though the national selectors should consult your astute eye for talent before finaling the team. It's obvious you are objective and unbiased in your assessment of first 11's abilities....
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:59 pm

Lehmann is an outstanding shield cricketer but is a bit short of test standard. Luckily he hasnt faced Sth Africa as Ntini and Pollock would sort him out quick smart as high quality fast bowling is his weakness.

Last year was his perfect chance. A home series against England which had a pretty ordinary depleted attack. He wasted his big chance to show what qualities he had.

jlc

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:00 pm

Well Martin Love has to come in for Steve Waugh. Love should be playing now instead of Katich. I'd like to see Katich oout and Clarke come in. If its not Clarke then Hodge. Damien Martyn is on thin ice too I reckon

Lehman is too old. forget him.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:08 pm

Martyn seems to escape a lot of scrutiny as Ponting and Hayden have been exceptional but i think its time Martyn pulled his weight at number four. However he is lucky that Steve Waugh is departing and the heat is also on Katich and that the Aussies have been winning.

I think Clarke is the best LONG TERM prospect and could be eased in at number 6 and be given time to settle and then he can progress up the order.

We dont want to be a dads army like how England used to be and not bring the youth through.

The bowling stocks are a bit of a worry as Gillespie is the only one who has stood up. Lee and Co are not ready to take over the mantle.

jlc

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:32 pm

Katich is safe and will really blossom as a middle order batsman, settling in at 4 or 5 over the next couple of years as Martyn and/or Lehmann move on.

Clarke will more than likely take #6 but not for a while. Just not ready. In the meantime, Love should get a few more Tests as he has the runs on the board ahead of Brad Hodge.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:50 pm

Why is Katich safe at this stage. To be safe in the Australian test team you would want to be scoring runs and be able to field.

Hopefully the NSW era is over.

jlc

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:47 pm

Katich silences critics

By Will Swanton Fox Sports

Simon Katich, accused by the outspoken Victorian coach of getting an easy ride into the Australian side this summer because he was playing for NSW, proved his worth beyond doubt today with a maiden Test century – 125 finely crafted runs in the farewell game for a man who has played an extraordinary role in his career.

It's been a long and winding road for Katich.

He toured Sri Lanka with the Australians in 1999 and was offered a baggy green cap to play in one of the minor games. He turned it down. He said he didn't want one until he deserved it as a member of the Test team.

The opportunity almost presented when Steve Waugh broke his nose at Kandy, but the Australian skipper crawled out of his hospital bed to play.

So close, but so far.

The next 12 months were a nightmare. Katich was knocked off his feet by chicken pox, glandular fever and chronic fatigue. At his lowest ebb, he was asleep in the Western Australia dressing room when it was his turn to bat in a Pura Cup match. He walked to the crease like he was dragging a ball and chain.

He rebounded to make the Ashes tour of England in 2001. His career was set for lift-off. He earned, and gratefully accepted, a baggy green from Richie Benaud before the fourth Test at Headingley when Waugh was sidelined by a badly torn calf muscle.

A dejected Waugh said the only good thing about his unavailability was that Katich was receiving a deserved opportunity in the Australian middle order. He said Katich would be a successful Test batsmen.

It's taken a while.

Having made 15 and nought on debut, Katich was denied a place in the final Test at The Oval when Waugh recovered to play.

The wheels feel off again the following domestic season when he fell out with WA coach Mike Veletta and averaged only 34.41.

Test cricket was a world away again.

Katich moved to NSW for 2002-03 but didn't score a century, leading to Hookes' claim that he didn't deserve his Australian call-up at the beginning of this season. Hookes might have had a point then, but he doesn't now. Katich belongs.

Waugh has never been far away.

His determination to play in Sri Lanka took a Test berth away from Katich. His injury in England let Katich play. His recovery denied Katich another Test. Waugh and Katich have struck up huge partnerships for the Blues this season and there's no doubt the Australian skipper pressed selectors to choose his left-handed mate against Zimbabwe for the first Test at the SCG in October.

Katich's rise above Martin Love and Michael Clarke was as much to do with his being able to bowl left-arm leg breaks as make runs.

Today he played his part with the bat and proved to Hookes – and more importantly himself – that he was worthy.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:48 pm

See all it takes is a move to NSW.

jlc

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:36 pm

I agree. Brad Hodge and Matthew Innes if you want to play for Australia then cross the border, blokes with less ability are robbing you of a baggy green.
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:47 pm

Bloody hell, I have beleived for a long time that Americans are the most parochial and provincial people on this planet but some of you Victorians DO have me wondering. JLC, you are really bringing true meaning to the term "one track record".

There doesn't appear to currently be a Western Australian based selector on the panel yet WA players seem to be able to make the team and be in the frame for A sides.

Where are these "inferior" players, Fradam?? Please name them. Bracken is to my mind and others nothing special. He has had the advantage of LOI exposure where he hasn't set the world on fire but neither has he crashed and burned. Inness DOES look very promising and MAYBE he will be a better prospect than Bracken but he does have to be on the track performing to press his case.

I do respect the case re Inness but Bradley Hodge, puhleeze folks.

1. He cannot be claimed to be a young prospect. He is of similar vintage to most of the other contenders and considerably older than Clarke.

2. His career stats read respectably but not spectacularly with some consistant ones mixed with some disappointing ones. This season is probably the first where he realistically been within reach of the Test side.

3. He has been given A team opportunities, this season and previously but whilst others have used these matches to advance their cause, yr beloved Bradley has failed to do so.

4. Other contenders such as Katich, Love and Lehmann do have at least respectable intl form to their name. Katich may have been a lineball call but he fitted the relative vacancy (middle order who can roll over some spin ala Boof) and he has justified his selection.

If a Victorian warrants selection, then he will be selected end of story. Warney will be back pending fitness, they obviously have Cameron White in mind as his shadow and are proceding along such lines. Frankly are there any Vics that are crying out "select me"??

Hodge has had his best season but is honestly a couple down the queue, and any others that some of you have nominated are more prospects than performance at this stage. Gentleman, can you realistically make a case for desperate selction gambles at the current time??

Last edited by commonwombat on Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: