Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cricket's 3 best batsmen

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

From Warnie

'Tendul-corized' Warne cannot help but sing the praises of the Master
24 August 2001

Tormented once, as Shane Warne says, by master-blaster Sachin Tendulkar in nightmares, the legendary leg-spinner has finally found words to express his admiration for the batsman.

A candid and insightful autobiography by Warne, which hit the stands in Sydney, describes how he was "Tendul-corized" and hails the Indian as "number one" in the game.

Amongst descriptions of the many memorable matches played against almost all cricketing nations across the globe, Warne relates the legendary on-field battles with Tendulkar and Brian Lara.

"Much has been made of my personal contest with Tendulkar," he writes. "Some people have said that my duel with Tendulkar in India in 1997-98 was the most compelling Test cricket they have ever seen, but there is no doubt he enjoyed the better of the exchanges.

"He has played me better than anybody. Most Indian batsmen pick the length very quickly, even when it is flighted above the eyeline, but Tendulkar moved into position even earlier than the likes of Mohammad Azharuddin and Rahul Dravid."

The eulogy continues. "His footwork is immaculate. He would either go right forward or all the way back and he has the confidence to go for his strokes. I suppose I would be confident too if I batted as well as Tendulkar."

The candid admissions seem to flow right from his heart as he says, "Although my statistics in that series don't make happy reading, I am still prepared to say it was a pleasure to bowl to him".

Warne even goes on to write: "Obviously, I never bowled to the Don, but if he was consistently superior to Tendulkar then I am glad he was an Australian."

On the loss in the Coca Cola Cup final in Sharjah, Warne says, "We were once again Tendul-corized!"

He also talks of how ahead of the 1997-98 series against India while he was recuperating in Australia, Sachin was practising intensively by deliberately scuffing up an area outside leg stump in the nets to face the Aussie wrist spinners.

"I suppose I should take it as a compliment that he felt he needed to do that before he took Australia and me on. I have nothing but admiration for the guy and as the series progressed he showed why he is the number one."

The other Indian batsman who impressed Warne during the series was the opener Navjot Singh Sidhu. "One batsman I never felt received the credit he deserved during the series was Navjot Sidhu," he writes.

Among the spinners during 1990s who gave Warne most pleasure were Anil Kumble and Mushtaq Ahmed. Warne writes, "If he was not a hero in India already then Kumble set himself up for life when he took all 10 Pakistan wickets in an innings in Delhi in February 1999."

Kumble was always like an old buddy for Warne. "We would chat about our methods. It is no different from a couple of used-car salesmen bumping into each other. They will pass on a few tricks about deceiving customers while we talk about deceiving batsmen.

"Kumble's strengths are his longevity and consistency.... He is a thorough gentleman off the field but extremely competitive on the field."

Warne talks at length about the match-fixing controversy while pleading his innocence.

"I have never attempted to fix a game or any part of a game in my life. I never would and never will. Nor have I knowingly received money from a bookmaker.

"As far as the man I knew only as John is concerned, I was stupid and naive to accept money. It didn't dawn on me that he might be involved with trying to fix cricket matches. I thought he was a wealthy man who liked to bet, who had won money on Australia in the past and wanted to express his thanks. I took it at face value and thought he was telling the truth."

"In hindsight I think it would have been better for all of us if the Board had made it public straight away."

The news that Mark Waugh and Shane Warne had taken money from a bookie broke after months of silence from the ACB in December 1998.

"In my heart I knew I had done nothing wrong. I would love John to come forward to confirm my version of the story. In future, if I can still help the cricket authorities to get to the bottom of anything relating to corruption then I will be happy to assist," he writes.

He further writes: "Like Hansie Cronje, Mohammad Azharuddin was another guy I never held under any suspicion, but who is said to have been involved. I thought of him as a very polite, sensitive, quiet person, who dressed extremely smartly away from the game.

"He was also a particularly high class batsman, capable of taking batting to another level on his day."

Even while discussing Sharjah and charges of it being the hotbed of corruption, Warne cannot help but allude to Tendulkar, albeit in a humurous vein. "I have played in Sharjah, where investigations have centred, and not to my knowledge, set eyes upon a bookmaker.

"I am afraid, like Sachin's straight drives, it all went over my head!"

In Warne's opinion, match-fixing warrants a life ban and it is the duty of every cricketer to pass on any information however small and insignificant it might seem to the authorities.

But his own gambling habits are no hidden secrets. "I played blackjack and roulette and bet on Aussie Rules, but never on cricket when I was involved."

Warne, who made his Test debut against India in 1991-92, says, "Apart from the pitches in India, the harsh conditions, heat and humidity explain why so few sides come out on top.

"But I must say that food did not present quite the problem for me that people might have imagined from some of the newspaper headlines and pictures of tinned spaghetti and baked beans being shipped out with the words 'To Shane Warne in India' plastered all over the crates."

Warne is indignant about the Australian team being labelled as the worst sledgers in the world. "Fast bowlers generally sledge out of frustration. For some reason Australia have acquired the reputation of being the worst sledgers in the world, but I think New Zealand should hold that mantle.

"Compared to the Australian side I joined in the early 1990s, the team of today is relatively quiet, even with McGrath in our ranks," he writes.

And it was none other than Allan Border who taught Warne the usefulness of sledging. "If things were not happening for me, he (Border) suggested it was probably worth having a word with the batsman - not for the sake of having a go, but to switch myself on for the contest."

While Shane Warne may not have been included in Bradman's Dream Team, he has been voted one of the five greatest cricketers of the twentieth century along with Sir Donald Bradman, Gary Sobers, Vivian Richards and Jack Hobbs.

In the book, Warne lists his own Dream Team and Tendulkar, who is the only contemporary cricketer to find a place in Bradman's XI, figures in both Rest of the World Test and one-day teams.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:26 am

Lol. To quote one of your sayings, JLC, that's too funny.

You use a person who's character you've roundly and consistently criticised (and from an article written over 2 years ago) to bolster your argument ?

I'll also remind you of two things.

1. This topic is about today's best batsmen.

2. The 'unemotional' ratings table has Tendulkar at #16 and Kirsten at #9.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:32 am

Well todays best batsman is Laxman based on the mornings form. However it could change by afternoon.

jlc

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:35 am

Whats Warnes character got to do with it ?? Warne wasnt making a statement about world peace. He was merely commenting on cricket something which he is well versed to comment about.

jlc

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:27 pm

JLC wrote:
Kirsten is garbage. Looks good against ordinary opposition but McGrath would sort him out quick smart.
jlc

To say Kirsten is garbage is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Kirsten would average 45ish againt all comers, which is a good to v good test record, but only high 30's v Aus (the best attack of his era).
his averages would be the same as a Dean Jones, though Jones averaged mid-high 30's against the Windies attack you always harp on about as being numero uno(the best attack of jones' era).

If Kirsten is garbage,your logic suggests so is Jones, and all the other players who suffered an average drop' when playing against the dominant team of their era...Border probably went down 10 v Windies, so is he garbage too? Marshall and co 'sorted him out!'

Is Kirsten in the top 3 bats...NO, and I don't agree with anyone suggesting it.

Is he a top quality test bat? IMO yep, but not the bloke who'll carve out 100 in a session, a 100 in a day perhaps, but 100 nonetheless.

Is he garbage? lol
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:28 pm

according to right now... sum crappy player called Rudolph is the number 1 batsmen. Very Happy

I think your both right in your arguements in your own way, donny refers more to the present while JLC will refer to the past 4-5 years. am i right?

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:34 pm

kirsten is world-class.

leading run-scorer ever for SA, isn't he? pretty fair achievement.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:40 pm

made 16 last night... poor shot.. is world class though.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:12 pm

Clokey, I'd be careful about calling Rudolph crappy. Who did he score his ton against ? Laughing

I refer more to the present ? Isn't what this is all about ? And ... it wouldn't be the first time JLC has been behind the times. Very Happy

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:34 pm

Great to see Tendulkar is back.

South Africa has only been back in world cricket for a decade so im sure his achievement wont last for long.

You people are seeing the worlds greatest batsman before your eyes in Hayden Ponting Tendulkar Dravid and Laxman and you are worried about Kirsten........lol lol

jlc

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:21 pm

MAGFAN8 wrote:
I'll save you the trouble.

Tendulkar's last 14 Tests have produced 2 centuries, none against Australia.

Thanks for saving me the trouble.........However i may need to trouble you again as you can add a double century to his stats.

jlc

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:22 pm

Ok, mate. Done.

Kirsten last 19 innings - 6 centuries. 2 against Australia.

Tendulkar last 19 innings - 3 centuries. 1 against Aust. (double)

Funny you should mention it , JLC. Sach looked just like Kirsten today. Played very carefully. No risks. Despatched the loose ball. Supported his more adventurous partner. Yep, just like Kirsten.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:40 pm

Whatever floats your boat........

jlc

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:56 pm

So, mate, they're both garbage or both excellent batsmen ? Which is it ?

By the way. Who is worried about Kirsten ?

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:37 pm

You are seriously trying to compare Kirsten and Tendulkar.......lol You are a classic. Please also compare McGrath and Bichel and see if you can spot any differences between them.....lmao

I suppose you can't tell the difference between chalk and cheese either.

jlc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: