Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cricket's 3 best batsmen

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally the 3 best batsman for mine under all conditions are Hayden, Lara and Tendulkar.

Ponting had a shocker of a tour in India. Murali in Sri Lanka will be his big test.

jlc

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:04 pm

At last, a reply with some figures. Thanks, SoS.

Yes, Lara's 153 was a top knock but the second innings stats for all 3 show they bat way below their first innings average.

It may also interest some to know Steve Waugh has 30 first innings centuries an only 2 in the second. Most Test wins are set up on the comparative first innings totals.

JLC, some homework for you. What does Sach average for away Tests ?

And just on a personal opinion level, I rate Tendulkar somewhere after Hayden, Lara, Ponting, Dravid, Gilchrist and Laxman (not in order).

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:14 pm

India dont play enough test matches atm. I think Tendulkar has played only 5 test matches this year. As for his away record i would guess it would be around 40 - 50.

jlc

Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:54 pm

Of Course guys average less in the second innings than in the 1st the conditions are far more difficult so nearly every batsman would average less in the second dig. But Ponting averages considerably less than the others in the second innings, I think he struggles in the difficult conditions and dosen't handle pressure well.

Tendulkar averaged 51.9 before the Adelaide test in away test matches. This isn't as good as his overall record but certainly it is still a very high average.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:50 pm

That does surprise me he averages over 50 away from home, and thanks again, SoS.

My whole point about this subject was people seem to just mouth this 'Sachin is the best' stuff without much alalysis (JLC has given that example again, a few posts above this one)

The latest ratings don't even place him in the top ten.

People critisise the ratings but they are a purely statistical ratings system and it's worth noting performances by the Aussies against other teams are worth less than the other team's players performances against them, or Sth. Africa.

For instance, Lehmann's and Waugh's centuries against Bangladesh only slightly moved them up the list. Lara and Dravid got more points for scoring double tons than Ponting because they were against the #1 & 2 ranked teams in the World Test Championship and Ponting's was against the 6th. ranked team.

Similarly, Hayden lost big points because he had two low scores against the 6th. team, India, and Gilly has dropped from 5th. to 7th. for the same reason.
--------------------------------

Sachin out of top 10

From correspondents in London - Fox Sports

THE longest and worst slump of his career has forced Sachin Tendulkar out of the top 10 batsmen in world cricket for the first time since 1993.

West Indies captain Brian Lara has reclaimed top spot in the PriceWaterhouseCooper's Test ratings, released today, after his 202 in the first Test defeat by South Africa in Johannesburg yesterday.

India's Rahul Dravid moves up to second place following his innings of 233 and 72 not out in their second Test victory over Australia in Adelaide, while Matthew Hayden is at three.

Tendulkar, touted as the world's best batsman, has gone a year and 12 innings without scoring a century.

It is the longest time he has been without a ton in his 14-year career.

Other lean streaks came at the start of Tendulkar's career when he took nine months to score his maiden Test century, but he still averaged 34.38 in that period.

He went six months without a century in 1996-97 and averaged 26.9 over 10 innings. On last year's West Indies tour and the start of an England tour he went 10 innings without a ton over a three-month period.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:17 pm

Well Tendulkar hasnt played many test matches of late now has he ??

My analysis is by watching them play and listening to comments from people such as the late Sir Donald Bradman and by players who play against Tendulkar. Ask McGrath or Warne or any of the aussie bowlers who they think is the best. Reading a book isnt as good as seeing the real thing in action.

jlc

Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:40 pm

Does the fact that they haven't played much effect your ranking Magfan? cos if he is only down because they haven't played many test it is a true reflection of his standing in the game. I excpet he will bounce back before the end of tour, India probably aren't suited to conditions at the G but look out Sydney on the slower pitch up there.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:50 pm

Well, SoS, it's not my ranking. Remember, Dravid plays for the same team and he's ranked #2 now.

Sach simply hasn't even had an innings over 100 in his last 12. That's why I must question why people still speak in terms of him being 'the best' when someone like Ponting has 5 centuries in that time and two of them doubles.

Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:56 pm

I certainly don't doubt he has been going through a bit of a slump but great players don't loose their ability and I think over his carrer he has proved he is a great player. I agree with you about Dravid, his recent form has proved he too is one of the best in the world so he is up there with anyone at the momment.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:57 pm

Lets wait until both careers are finished and see who is regarded as the best player in the world.

You may be confusing current form with who is the better player overall. On your theory Jimmy Adams would have been a gun player......lol Its a bit like the tennis rankings as a player like Hewitt can be number 1 and ranked ahead of Agassi but when they both retire who do you think will go down as the better player ??

jlc

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:12 pm

JLC, it's now we're talking about.

When Paddams first came into Test cricket, he was a sensation and averaged 70 for a while but he fizzled as the better bowlers worked him out.

Hewitt won a US Open and Wimbledon and deserved his #1 ranking. If he wins 3 or 4 more Grandies, he'll probably be remembered as the better player.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:18 pm

Yes at this very present after scoring 242 Ponting is the best. Argarkar is in the top 5 bowlers as well after his match winning haul seeing we are talking about now.

Fancy that Argarkar a better bowler than Warne who would have thought hey

jlc

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:28 pm

Now being the present and recent past. That's what the ratings are worked out on.

You may be able to shoot off to 20 years into the future but I haven't got that one worked out - yet.

Just when was it, that you thought Sacred Sach was the best ? When he was nurdling the ball around from 85 to 100 for most of his 35 ODI centuries ?

To me, great players are great team players. You know, JLC, the Haydens, the Pontings, the Dravids, the Gilchrists. When Sach starts winning Tests or even ODIs for his country, he may even climb back into the ratings top ten.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:11 am

VERY good read... may i say, Sultan of Spin Some great stats Very Happy

I must say its very obvious who's the match winner! Cool

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:10 am

Very disappointing post from someone who is meant to know a lot about cricket.

You basically have insulted one of the games best ever players by implying that he is selfish in the way he plays the game ??

BTW what did you think of Buckley as a player when Collingwood were losing ?

jlc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: