Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Its so clear to me! why not u people!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Newelly, you say they are a lil inconsistant, i cant name too many batsmen who have been consistant through their Careers.

Hayden didnt start all that well at all... Ponting has gone through many had times with Spin and Even Steve waugh has had inconsistant patches..

the only batsmen i can think of that has been fully consistant is Bradman

Last edited by couragous cloke on Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:58 am

His risk taking has lead to inconsistency and some low scores. Remember Glen McGrath having his way with the Prince going back 5-6 years in the Sir Frank Worrell Trophy. His recent record against Australia in tests isn't great. Lara's form often follows the West Indies fortunes and lets face it the Windies have been barely a shadow of the powerhouse they were during the 70's through early 90's.
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:42 am

Lara had his glory period in the first half of the 90's where he tore everyone apart. Since then, personal probs and the decline of WI cricket have impacted on his appearances, consistancy and performance. Realistically, it has only been recently that he has approached anywhere near that level of performance.

Despite his mediocre performance on this tour and at the risk of attracting Donny's scorn, Tendulkar of all modern players has probably held the greatest level of consistency over the last 10-12 years.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:09 am

Newelly u didnt answer my question!

Look at it like this, Anyone who averages 53 has got to be quite consistant, i think besides his injuries and personal problems threw the 98-99-00 years, he's been extreamly consistant and could of averaged in the 60's if not for those years.

And i agree with you on Sachin Wombat, he's probably the most consistant player ive seen anyway.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:22 am

100 Tests of Pure Genius

Monday, December 22 @ 16:01:47 EST

by LAURA EVANS
On May 2, 1969, Pearl Lara gave birth to the last of her seven sons.

Did she realize even then, with a mother's intuition, that the Gods had given this one a little extra touch of magic? This child was destined to be many things, everything except ordinary.

Brian Charles Lara graced the world with his presence on that day without much fanfare, but in the years to come the master plan would begin to be shaped and formed into something the world would never forget.

Anyone who believes in destiny and the powers that be will also believe that nothing happens before the time. It would be 22 years later that the first encore act in this enthralling play that is Brian Lara unfolded. In only his fifth Test match the Gods decided to officially announce to the world who he was and what he was about, and when he was finally run out on 277 magnificent runs in Sydney, the cricketing world was hopelessly enraptured.

He had given some warning in first-class matches and proceeded to storm into the test arena with flair and pomp. Amazingly, his magnetism would remain as powerful over a decade later as it was that day. It was a marvelous treat that would leave any appetite well sated, but to our delight the dessert would be even more wonderfully rich and delicious, one that melts in the mouth and leaves you always wanting more.

It was over a year later that Brian would spring the real coup d'état. On April 18, 1994 at 24 years of age he eclipsed the world record for most runs in a single test innings scoring 375 runs against England in Antigua. The world was well and truly at his feet, and the meteoric rise would continue a few weeks later when he again rewrote the record books scoring an unbeaten 501 at Edgbaston, the most runs ever in a first class match in his first English county season for Warwickshire.

In the space of a few months Brian Lara's stock had multiplied enormously and it would be a true test of character for him to go though a life that was forever altered by his achievements in 1994. Uneasy is the head that wears the crown, and Brian would later question whether he was blessed or cursed.

In the years to come there would be a lot of negative rumors surrounding the enigmatic young superstar. There were allegations of walking out on tours, plotting to overthrow and sabotage captains, arrogance, and all in all, just a general bad attitude. The public and media that were enamored with him a short while before, were now becoming increasingly skeptical.

This love-hate relationship with the public has become an innate part of Lara's life. He has learnt to live with the fact that while there is unconditional support in some quarters, there are others that do not forgive so easily and are almost impossible to appease.

The weight he has had to bear while playing for the West Indies is arguably unparalleled by any other personality in world sport. There has been constant pressure to perform in a team in which no one else is close to matching his exceptional batting ability. As long as he is at the crease hope springs eternal, but as soon as he goes the light wanes. The opposition will rejoice riotously at the fall of his wicket because he is the one they fear, the one who always seems to hold the key to the West Indies' fortunes.

That is the nature of the burden that is on his shoulders every single time he walks out to the crease, with the knowledge that he is the one solely responsible for preventing the ship from sinking. While he has saved them on several occasions, there have been those unfortunate times when he has had to face the harsh reality that the force of his will is not enough to prevent the rest from drowning.

This is a man that knows what it feels like to have an immortal test, and still experience the bitter taste of defeat. In 2001 he scored 688 runs in a three-test series in Sri Lanka, but was unable to celebrate his personal triumph as the team was unceremoniously whitewashed. He has had two double centuries in losing causes, and all of four centuries against Australia alone while fighting in vain. He knows better than anyone that sometimes your all is just not enough.

However, there have been those magical times when he has delivered the goods, digging deep to produce unbelievable innings in the midst of a crisis and emerge victorious. Memories of the 1999 home series are forever etched in our consciousness. He sent West Indies fans into a state of euphoria as he blazed away, humbling the mighty Australians with dazzling displays in Kingston and Bridgetown.

The English have also felt his wrath, with six centuries against them, including the former world record 375, and three consecutive tons in their backyard in 1995.

Enter 2003, his finest year to date, where already he has scored five centuries including two doubles for an aggregate of 1261 runs from 9 tests. It is obvious to onlookers that Brian has assumed an aura of invincibility, strength of will, and a newfound acceptance of his destiny as an all-time great. For those who thought it was the lucky white string on the right hand, the string is now gone, but the runs continue to flow.

In his second stint as captain, he is enjoying prolific personal success, with batting sponsors MRF smiling from ear to ear at the brilliance and aptness of their latest acquisition. The team results are a bit less convincing than the captain's performance, with three wins, four losses and two draws. But considering that it started out with 3 consecutive losses, it seems to be heading in the right direction.

On December 26th 2003 Brian will take the field for his 100th Test. The people of the Caribbean will no doubt want to pay tribute to him on yet another epic milestone. Our leading all time run scorer will be starting yet another chapter, and the story has been a truly engrossing one so far.

Thank you for the memories Brian, you are loved and revered and appreciated by millions of fans worldwide. People have named their sons and daughters after you, and your legacy will never be forgotten. You have electrified the world and brought excitement and joy to all who have witnessed your brilliance. Congratulations on all your monumental achievements, and we eagerly wait as the rest of the drama unfolds.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:28 pm

Wombat, your comment - "Tendulkar of all modern players has probably held the greatest level of consistency over the last 10-12 years" - dosen't attract my scorn, just this:

"THE longest and worst slump of his career has forced Sachin Tendulkar out of the top 10 batsmen in world cricket for the first time since 1993.

Tendulkar has gone a year and 12 innings without scoring a century.

It is the longest time he has been without a ton in his 14-year career.

Other lean streaks came at the start of Tendulkar's career when he took nine months to score his maiden Test century and again in 1997 when he failed to score a century for 6 months and averaged 26.9 over 10 innings.

On last year's West Indies tour and the start of an England tour he went 10 innings without a ton over a three-month period.

And from cc, " ... i agree with you on Sachin Wombat, he's probably the most consistant player ive seen anyway"

Doesn't sound consistent to me.

Another example of people repeating this "Sach is a cricket god" stuff when all he really is, is a very classy batsman on his day who has the failings of any other 'mortal' batsman.

My dear friend and unabashed Charlie lover, Anthony (couragous cloke), writes, "Look at it like this, Anyone who averages 53 has got to be quite consistant"

Not so, mate. Scores like these - 0, 53, 0, 105, 1, 2, 156, 0, 1, 0 and 212 n.o. would give a batsman an average of 53. Very inconsistent. Very Happy

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:31 pm

Quote:
And i agree with you on Sachin Wombat

I never said anything about the little known player of Sachin Wombat.

CC, Commonwombat said it for me. Also the question was why he wasn't rated the best in the world by some. I gave my reasons as did everyone else.

As you said he has the most double centuries of any batsmen. There's your answer for why he has an average above 50. That implies that in between the big scores there are sequences of small scores. Which is what we are talking about with consistency. Its no good scoring mammoth innings every 4th innings and then failing to barely get on the scoresheet in the next two to three. Especially when your team relies on you so dearly. Allan Border also carried an unfair burden and retained an average above 50.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:33 pm

lol your a crack up Don...

Got a point there, but im saying over a long period of time, generally consistant.

You seem to really hate Sachin Don.. Dont u think he's that good Confused

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:36 pm

My question was... Who is a batsmen who has been CONSISTANT through their career??

Last edited by couragous cloke on Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:42 pm

What a load of sentimental, sacharine slop that article was. Was that hack one of Lara's famous maiden overs?
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:50 pm

Laughing

sounds like another 1 of them arrogant Aussie fans.. geez they're building up these days Rolling Eyes

didnt answer my question, AGAIN

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:56 pm

Allan Border, Sunil Gavaskar, Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards, The Don for just some off the top of my head. Steve Waugh for consistency over the last 5-6 years. Consistency for Lara? CC please read Donny and my statements regarding his average.
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:57 pm

Arrogant? Lara is the king of arrogance. Your lips are too attached to the mans ass to see his inflate cranium.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:59 pm

Allan Border, Sunil Gavaskar, Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards.

Every single 1 of them have had their rough patches. failures...

Steve Waugh! HAHAHA geez consistant

read between the lines.. open both your eyes, and give a champion the praise he deserves hahahaha

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:01 pm

i admit! WAS the king of arrogance... Look at the present bro.. anything but arrogant these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: