Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Its so clear to me! why not u people!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:14 pm
Post subject: Its so clear to me! why not u people!Reply with quote

ok ok, so i couldnt help myself Very Happy

Once again, the topic is brian Lara! now, lets get things straight, people think Matty Hayden is the best batter in the world, Well, its got me stumped because i believe lara is a class above.His 202 in the first test was unbelievable.. who knows what he could have acheived if he had support later on in the innings.

This man has the most double centuries than any other current batsmen in the world, which clearly states he's the best at going onto big BIG scores.. He's masterful on both backfoot and front foot play, how can u say someone is better than the prince of the caribbean??? i dont understand it, can u pick a flaw in this man? anything he's not good at?

can someone please give me an explination??

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:19 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Captaincy. Very Happy

In the field, he needs to look like he wants to win, not like someone who's just wet his pants.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:37 am

HEY! i dont think soo donny

And might i add that he's got the safest hands ive just about eva seen

zoia Virgo

didak's number 1 fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:19 am

personaly i think the safest hands i have ever seen was mark waugh then pointing they rarely drop catches. As for Lara his way over rated his avg has droped abit latelyused to be around 54 now its 52
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:33 am

Its also important to remember the quality of bowler each batsman has had to face. I think at present there is not much depth in fast bowling compared to when Hayden first made his debut and was tormented by a rampaging Alan Donald.

A player like Border faced much better quality fast bowling than the likes of Ponting have had to endure.

jlc

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:49 am

actually paul, lara's average has lifted considerably. It used to be around 48-49 now is a healthy 53. And funny you say your safest hands, mark waugh doesnt even play anymore and Ponting just recently dropped like 4 catches in 1 game..

good post HAHAHAHA

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:52 am

Lara averages something like 58 against australia facing the likes of Shane Warne, Glen McGrath, Brett Lee or Jason Gillepie.

I just wonder if hayden would be so good facing a bowling line up like that, or even half as good as he is.

Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:07 pm

No arguments from me about Lara CC, I think he is the best batsman I have seen. You ae right about his average improving as well but the only reason it was low in the first place was because of a spell he went through a few years ago when he was just tired and frustated with the game but since he has come back he has been bigger and better than ever.

I also agree with JLC about Border, durung the recent test match channel showed a graphic showing current day batsman(Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting) being ranked equal or above the likes of Border, Greg Chappel, Doug Walters and co in terms of average. I think those stats are distorted cos those greats of yesteryear faced fair superior bowling than the guys encounter today. Remember the graet attacks of the West Indies? I'd like to see these guys up against them and also lets remember that England used to be a cricketing force and not the whipping boys they have been in the last decade. Also these guys didn't play against average boosting nations like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:11 pm

Sultan, I disagreed with you re Chuck Berry but do agree with much of yr point here about distorted stats these days due to greater volume of matches, and frankly inferior bowling.

One point re Border though. He broke many many records because at the time of his retirement he had played so many more matches than those whose figures he had eclipsed. He certainly faced far higher quality attacks than those of today.

CC, I too will not attack Lara. He will justly take his place amongst the greats and when he has his shit together he is, to my mind, the most exciting batsman to watch. Sultan's point is well made. Where people do have reservations has been with regards to his temperament. For better or worse, he spent much of the late 90's absent in action with only periodic displays of brilliance. Also because of the nature of his game, he takes more risks than others and this can obviously backfire on him.

Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:18 pm

I agree with you in reguard to Border and some of his records, that they were only due to the number of matches played but his average over such a long peroid of time against far superior oppistion was remarkable.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:22 pm

BORDER (clap,clap,clap) BORDER (clap,clap,clap) BORDER (clap,clap,clap)

Ah, memories from the MCG...

dyso

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:30 pm

Dyso, I know it's Friday arvo and it's beer time so why not go and take yr medicine.

Sultan, it may bring down the charge of heresy on my furry hide but a career analysis of one A R Border may show a pattern of rich viens of runs followed by periods of slim pickings. There was a period where he went @ 4 years without a test century, tadmittedly by then his form was of lesser importance with others carrying more of the weight.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:37 am

takes more risks! yes... Thats why he's the best in the world, hetakes it to the bowlers.
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:21 pm

If you say so, CC. It also equates to great highs and sadly bigger lows when he's off form. With his style, many bowlers feel that they are always in with a chance.

Not knocking him, I'd always pay to watch him, something I couldn't say for a number of others.

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:25 pm

Lara and Tendulkar are technically the best batsmen in the world. The stroke play of both is near faultless. Consistency is the only thing that has let them down. That and the burden of being expected to carry their teams innings every time they come to the crease. Aussie batsmen can be confident and relax somewhat in the knowledge that they have a long batting line-up that produces on a consistent basis. The Windies and India until just recently haven't had such luxuries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: