Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ponting warns cocky India

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:02 am
Post subject: Ponting warns cocky IndiaReply with quote

Ponting warns cocky India

Fox Sports

A CANDID Ricky Ponting has warned pugnacious India they still have a lot of work to do before they can lay claim to being cricket's next superpower.

After a night of dissecting just what went wrong in a stunning second Test loss, a tired Ponting said it was premature of India to start talking up its chances of replacing Australia as the world's No.1 side.

"They have got the side to (be No.1), they are a good team," Ponting said.

"But there is a long way to go yet. They have won only one Test match.

"They have won one Test (in Australia) in 20-odd years.

"They have got a long way to go before they can start talking like that.

"If they think they can be world champions after winning one Test, well, good luck to 'em."

The Indians arrived in Hobart yesterday ahead of their three-day match against Australia A beginning tomorrow.

Coach John Wright said being away from their millions of delirious home fans and family in India could only work in favour of the tourists as they seek their first ever series win in Australia.

"We'll just keep our feet on the ground and keep working," Wright said.

"We've enjoyed the success but there's still two Tests to go."

While Steve Waugh's men may have been on the receiving end of one of Test cricket's greatest comebacks in Adelaide, they remain confident of at least drawing the series which resumes in Melbourne on Boxing Day.

Jubilant Indian skipper Sourav Ganguly believes his side can lay claim to being the best side in the world if they can win one of the final two Tests and slay Australia at home.

His argument has a lot of merit, as the Indians won

the last series between the countries on home shores two years ago.

India's four-wicket victory in Adelaide was their first in Australia since 1981.

Since five-day limits were put on Tests, no team has conceded 556 runs on the first innings and then won, never mind being without several frontline stars and being 4-85 in their first innings.

Wright said it was important India's batsmen maintained their standards after two outstanding efforts in Brisbane and Adelaide.

"Our batsmen are in good form which is good and we just have to keep that form going," he said.

"We've got the belief that has come from the way they've played ... it's the key for any side."

After taking what looked to be a stranglehold in Adelaide with an imposing first innings total, vice-captain Ponting said he and his side may have become arrogant.

Ponting plundered a career-high 242 in the first innings but failed to score in the second.

"If you looked back to the way we played in the second innings, it probably looked as if we were a little a bit over-confident and a little bit arrogant," he said.

"That's one thing the team has never really done.

"We've never got a step ahead of ourselves.

"We have always been in the moment.

"Unfortunately we just got a little bit too far ahead of ourselves the other day and it cost us."

The Aussies now face their first home series loss since Richie Richardson's West Indies side stormed home in the final two Tests in 1992-93.

"We are going to have to play extremely well to win this series," Ponting said.

"They are both going to be pretty good batting wickets which the Indians generally play well on."

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you posted that Donny and i hope you read it as Ponting brings up the topic of arrogance......saved me posting it Smile

jlc

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:17 am

Come in, spinner. Very Happy

"... brings up the topic of arrogance .... " If you brought up the subject of stealing, should we assume you're a thief ?

Ponting said, "If you looked back to the way we played in the second innings, it probably looked as if we were a little a bit over-confident and a little bit arrogant," he said.

"That's one thing the team has never really done.

"We've never got a step ahead of ourselves.

"We have always been in the moment.

"Unfortunately we just got a little bit too far ahead of ourselves the other day and it cost us."

Context, JLC, context.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:55 pm

Arrogance is winning one test against the world champions and then claiming the title. I'll say it again, Australia with our 2nd string bowling lineup had India on the ropes and nearly won the test. Heaven forbid if we had McGrath, Lee and Warne back in the team.

It would be like West Perth playing half of the collingwood 2nd's and winning by 2 goals...then claiming to be the 2nd best footy team in Australia. It's laughable.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:08 pm

Well India did beat Australia last time in India.

And Australia claimed they were the best after beating the West Indies for the first time in years even though the Windies had enjoyed a similar dominance.

At present Australia is the best but i think they are maybe crossing paths. India is on the way up and maybe the Aussies are on the way down.

Only time will tell.....

jlc

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:51 pm

Agreed India have the team to beat Australia but our record is there for all to see. I don't believe it's the end of an era. People forget how important guys like Lee, McGrath and Warne are in keeping pressure on at 4-85. That's what has made the aussies so good. When Lee isn't on then McGrath and Gillepsie will be. The aussie bowling line up is too good when at full strength.

I do rate the Indians as tough one off customers but not consistently over 6 or 7 years.

btw, that series in India was AWESOME - best I've ever seen. They deserved it because they played great cricket.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:56 pm

Someone will need to step up pretty quickly to ease the workload that Warne and McGrath are normally faced with. That player to me is Lee. He has some big weapons but still needs to cause some damage in the form of plenty of wickets and winning games for Australia.

jlc

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:01 am

I agree with JLC. Lee was wreaking havoc before he got injured. If he can get back to that form it takes the pressure off Gillespie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: