Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pura 'tough as Tests' - Flower

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:42 pm
Post subject: Pura 'tough as Tests' - FlowerReply with quote

Pura Cup 'tough as Tests'

Fox Sports

FORMER world No.1 batsman Andy Flower rates Australia's domestic competition as intense as Test cricket and a more consistent challenge.

The former Zimbabwe captain, who controversially walked away from the international arena earlier this year in protest against the regime of Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe, is relishing his interstate stint with South Australia.

Despite struggling to show the form which put him on top of the Test batting rankings in 2000 and 2001, Flower said he has no regrets about his international retirement.

The 35-year-old left-hander, who plays his fifth ING Cup match for SA against Queensland tomorrow, admitted his new battleground provides a stern test of his skills.

"It compares very well with Test cricket," he said of the standard of the Pura Cup.

"I think the intensity is there all the time. You have a six-hour day and for every one of those hours the cricket is good quality – full of attacking, tight cricket.

"So in that regard it's as good or even better than Test cricket against certain sides."

A seasoned campaigner for Essex in the English county competition, Flower attributed that mental attitude instilled in Australia as the most noticeable difference between the two domestic leagues.

"There seems to be a greater hunger here, a greater enjoyment of what they are doing and complete commitment to the cause of state pride," he said.

"I think this is brilliant, this is how cricket should be played. Ideally I'd like Zimbabwe to play this type of intense cricket in their domestic cricket, that's how you are going to get quality players."

Expected to be the Redbacks' key run-scorer, Flower made only 94 runs at 15.67 in his first three first-class matches in Australia before making 82 and 56 in a losing cause against Queensland a fortnight ago.

His early struggle for form was frighteningly similar to his 2003 county start which he concedes may have been a result of the hangover from his human rights stand with team-mate Henry Olonga during the World Cup.

The pair wore black arm bands to signify the "death of democracy" in Zimbabwe under Mugabe's leadership.

"I think there is a strong possibility it was but I'm a bit reticent to lay that down as an excuse, I'm not sure, that's passed anyway so now I have to move on and move forward," said Flower.

In 63 Tests the batsman-keeper scored 4794 runs at an excellent average of 51.54 and was regarded as the world's best run-scorer when making 1944 in 18 Tests in 2000 and '01 at a phenomenal 84.52.

Highlighting those 24 months was an unbeaten 232 in India and 142 and 199 not out against South Africa in Harare, the highest individual Test match tally in a losing team.

Flower is guarded about the reasons for his slump but does not disagree with team-mates assertions he puts too much pressure on himself.

"I feel a little more relaxed about being here in Aussie now. But I set high standards for myself and I'm not reaching them so if that's putting pressure on myself that's what I've always done," he said.

Flower speaks regularly with brother Grant and is looking forward to catching up with his former team-mates when they spend six days in Adelaide in the New Year before the one-day tri-series with Australia and India.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: