Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Boxing Day Test - MCG

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickiSlater 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:07 am
Post subject: Boxing Day Test - MCGReply with quote

I will be there! Smile
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee confident of Test return

Fox Sports

EXPRESS bowler Brett Lee says he is confident he is fit enough to reclaim his place in Australia's bowling attack for the remaining two cricket Tests against India.

Lee took 3-83 and 1-69 from a total of 44 overs in New South Wales' Sheffield Shield loss to Victoria here Monday in his first major hit-out since he tore an abdominal muscle in October and underwent ankle surgery in the lay-off.

He is rated a strong chance to replace Brad Williams for the third Test against India in Melbourne, starting Boxing Day, after Williams injured his left shoulder in the field in Adelaide on Sunday.

First Lee must further prove his fitness by backing up for NSW in the Sheffield Shield game against Tasmania in Sydney starting Friday, meaning he could play two Tests immediately after two state matches.

"If I was to play the two Test matches, in Melbourne and Sydney, plus the two (Sheffield Shield) games I'd be playing (the same amount of cricket as) four Test matches in just over three weeks, so it's a lot of cricket especially after coming back from injury too, it's a big ask," he said.

"But that's something I'll have to monitor and watch next game."

Lee was hopeful the selectors believe he has done enough to earn a Test recall.

"Hopefully I've done enough but we'll wait and see, won't we," he said.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:27 am

nickislater,im also going to the boxing day test,im going to the 1st day of it,cos its always the best day to go,when its clost to a full house,just a great atmosphere..

cheers bryan..!!
NickiSlater 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:00 am

I'm going the first day also as I do every year and it is a great atmosphere! Smile I will also go on the 4th day with Steph yay. Let's hope Aussies win this time.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:58 am

Hohns rallies bowlers

By Robert Craddock _ Fox Sports

AUSTRALIA'S cricket selectors will this weekend conduct a nation-wide search for a new fast-bowling hero needed to stop India's rampant top order in the Boxing Day Test.

Australian selection chairman Trevor Hohns last night urged all fringe fast bowlers to put their best foot forward as the selectors prepared to scatter to all corners of the continent.

Concerned selectors will closely scrutinise the Australia A game against India in Hobart, plus Pura Cup games between Queensland and South Australia in Brisbane, NSW and Tasmania in Sydney and Western Australia and Victoria in Perth.

Among the bowlers in line for a call-up are Australia A quartet Damien Wright, Matthew Nicholson, Paul Rofe and Shaun Tait plus Queenslander Michael Kasprowicz, who Sachin Tendulkar once rated one of the better Australian fast bowlers he had faced.

Australia, one down in the series with two Tests to play, will delay naming their squad until Monday to allow the selectors to sort through their options should injured speedsters Jason Gillespie (groin strain) and Brad Williams (strained AC joint) be ruled unfit.

Gillespie is considered the more doubtful with doctors indicating yesterday that Williams should be fit to play in a week.

Dynamic Brett Lee will return to an attack dominated by the Indian batsmen in the first two Tests but there's every chance a new face will be included in the squad.

"We are probably looking for a stand-out performance from someone," Hohns said.

"That would attract attention - there is no doubt about that."

Tasmanian Wright, arguably Australia's most underrated paceman, has been the Pura Cup's leading wicket-taker this season and been getting good wraps from opposition batsmen.

Five exceptionally successful years under Steve Waugh's captaincy have generally given the selectors the luxury of establishing clearly defined pecking orders for fringe batsmen and bowlers.

There have been few selection surprises in the Waugh era.

But outside the current Test squad there is no standout fast bowling option, so if ever there was a chance for a bolter to snatch a Test cap on the strength of a couple of hot performances it is this weekend.

Because India hold the Border-Gavaskar trophy, Australia must win the last two Tests to get it back.

If India snatch even one draw in the last two Tests they - and not retiring Test skipper Steve Waugh - will be doing the lap of honour at the SCG with the trophy after the last Test. The onus on Australia is to attack and, if need be, experiment.

India's pocket-sized seamer Ajit Agarkar, at 61kg only slightly heavier than most jockeys, has taken 13 wickets in the series, more than twice as many as any Australian paceman.

Leg-spinner Stuart MacGill heads Australia's wicket-taking list with eight, followed by Andrew Bichel and Jason Gillespie with six each.

The Australian attack seems to hold no major fears for the Indians, particularly the enchanting duo of VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid, who combine technical excellence with the patience of a fly fisherman.

Hohns, however, was not displeased with Australia's bowling performance in Adelaide and concurred with the theory that Australia's modest second innings effort of 196 on day four was the prime reason for India's stunning four-wicket win.

"It was one of the flattest wickets we've seen for a long, long time. I didn't think the bowlers did such a bad job to be honest," he said.

"We had them 6-230 in the second innings. We just didn't score enough runs. I don't think there can be any blame pointed at the bowling attack at all.

"They did a pretty good job. We just didn't score enough runs.

"We obviously have to talk about the attack because of the injuries."

India have now won three of their past four Tests against Australia and with each victory the world champions' intimidatory aura has faded.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:05 am

Lee in scare mode

By Jon Pierik - Fox Sports

A PUMPED up Brett Lee believes he is primed for an international return and has promised to hit India at full force in the crucial Boxing Day Test.

Speedster Lee is almost certain to be drafted into a battered Australian squad on Monday for the pivotal third Test having proved his fitness in the Pura Cup last weekend after returning from ankle surgery.

Suddenly trailing in an enthralling series, Lee's frightening pace and hostile bounce could prove to be a match-winning tonic for the world champions on an MCG wicket which has provided trampoline-like bounce in recent years.

The Indians were unsettled by Lee's speed and short-pitched attack on the bouncy South African wickets during the World Cup this year and he could pose similar problems in Melbourne.

"I am in the Australian team to bowl fast and if I get that chance come Boxing Day that's what I am going to try and achieve," Lee said yesterday.

"I will just bowl the way I have over the last couple of years."

The Australians have yet to hit the Indians with the full-on body barrage they had been expected to deliver pre-series.

A lack of bounce in the Brisbane and Adelaide wickets has not helped, leaving vice-captain Ricky Ponting looking forward to a bouncy Melbourne deck and the inclusion of Lee.

"If we can get Dizzy (Gillespie) and Brett in the same side, I am pretty sure things will be different," Ponting said.

"Dizzy did a fantastic job trying to do that (bowl short) but unfortunately in both games so far we haven't been to keep the pressure on them."

The shocked Australians need victories in both Melbourne and the series finale in Sydney to win back the Border-Gavaskar trophy which they lost in India two years ago.

Lee did not go on that tour because of injury and has never played in a losing series since stepping out into the international spotlight for the first time four years ago.

He is determined to maintain that record provided he gets the call-up from selection chairman Trevor Hohns.

"Melbourne is the sort of wicket that has a fair bit in it," Lee said.

"I think that the Boxing Day Test wicket may have a bit more life and be conducive for fast bowlers."

Lee's ankle was given the all-clear by NSW team physiotherapist Pat Farhart yesterday.

The blond quick has a minor throat infection but will line-up for the Blues in tomorrow's Pura Cup match against Tasmania.

While Lee is just about assured of a Test recall, just who he will share the fast bowling duties with remains uncertain.

Brad Williams, who hurt his shoulder in Adelaide, will be fit to play but may be dropped after failing to take a second-innings wicket.

Gillespie, who was unable to bowl for most of the final day in Adelaide after straining his groin, will have the injury assessed again on Friday.

He remains in doubt for Boxing Day. With Glenn McGrath ruled out for the rest of the series, the return of Lee has become that much more important.

"Australia has a good challenge on its hands," Lee said.

"I think we play our best cricket when we are under the pump a little bit."

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:13 pm

Kartik to push for place

By Michael Donaldson - Fox Sports

MYSTERY spinner Murali Kartik gets his chance to press for a Test spot when India meets Australia A in three day cricket tour match at Bellerive Oval from tomorrow.

Kartik joined the tourists on the eve of the second Test in Adelaide after being summoned to replace Harbhajan Singh, who is scheduled to have an operation on his injured finger later this month.

Leftarmer Kartik, 27, has played just four Tests for nine wickets at an average of 34.33 but he hasn't played for India for more than three years.

Watching rain tumbling down at Bellerive Oval today, Kartik was praying for some fine weather in order to show off his talents as he pushes for inclusion in the remaining two Tests of the series.

Kartik, who troubled Australia in the recent one-day series in India with some sharp spin, realises it's a hard task to shift Anil Kumble from the Test team and figures his best chance of selection was if India picked two spinners, which is more likely to happen in Sydney than Melbourne.

"There's no point in comparing me to him (Kumble)," Kartik explained.

"He's a different bowler, we think differently... it really boils down to to what you need for the conditions at Melbourne and Sydney and if the need is for two spinners, or whatever the team management thinks."

Kartik said the tourists were steeling themselves for a tougher, more committed Australia in the Boxing Day Test after the home side went 1-0 down in the series in Adelaide.

It's the first time Australia has trailed in a series at home since 1993-94 against South Africa, where the Australians rallied from a loss in Sydney to win in Adelaide and draw the series.

"Australia comes hard at you all the time and now that they're one down it's going to make it much more difficult for us to maintain momentum because they're going to come that much harder at us."

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:54 pm

Dizzy misses MCG Test

Fox Sports

JASON GILLESPIE was today ruled out of third Test in Melbourne due to a right groin strain.

The Australian spearhead sustained the injury last Tuesday during the final day of the second Test with India in Adelaide and was unable to take the field after lunch.

Australian team physiotherapist Errol Alcott said it is best to rest Gillespie for the match which starts on Boxing Day.

"Jason has strained his right groin and although the medical staff is confident it will resolve over the short term, we felt it was prudent for him to miss this next Test match," he said.

Gillespie said he is disappointed at missing the match but would now look towards being right for the fourth Test in Sydney.

"I knew I was a chance of not playing but once you find out you won't play it hits you harder than you realise," he said.

"It's now a case of getting things right for the rest of the summer as we have plenty of cricket left to play.

"I obviously won't be out on the field with the lads in Melbourne but I'll probably travel down there for treatment with Errol and be around the ground each day."

The squad for the third Test will be announced on Monday.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:25 pm

Noffke throws hat into Test ring

Fox Sports

AUSTRALIA's forgotten paceman Ashley Noffke today added his name to the long list of Test candidates with a telling reminder against South Australia at the 'Gabba.

With chief national selector Trevor Hohns watching in the stands, Noffke took 4-48 to make South Australia regret batting first on a good, hard Brisbane wicket.

In the end the Redbacks were fortunate to muster 204 after being on the ropes at 8-146 before wicketkeeper Graham Manou (51 from 62 balls) inflated the total with some lusty hitting.

But Queensland still have first-innings points firmly in sight after moving to 1-66 at stumps, with captain Jimmy Maher 35 not out and Clinton Perren 15.

The only sour note for the home fans was that the Matthew Hayden show did not eventuate as the Test opener, in his first Pura Cup appearance in two years, sliced a drive off Mark Cleary (1-32) to point to fall for nine.

With Hohns at the Gabba to put Michael Kasprowicz under the selection microscope for the third Test against India, Noffke reduced the veteran paceman to an undercard act.

The 2001 Ashes tourist and member of this year's Test squad in the West Indies bowled with sharp pace and consistently hit a good length to trouble the batsmen.

Before today the 26-year-old had failed to take a first-class wicket this season after being dogged by a back injury which saw a premature end to his English county stint with Middlesex in August.

One of Cricket Australia's 25 contracted players, Noffke attributed the turnaround to putting his fears out of his mind.

"It's one of those things where injury takes a high price of your mental thought and today I made conscious effort of not thinking about the body," he said.

Noffke celebrated his 100th wicket (at 26 apiece) for his state with his second scalp when SA opener and top-scorer Shane Deitz (71) top-edged a hook to long-leg where Kasprowicz took an amazing diving catch.

It was the second wicket to fall in a 6-52 collapse after Deitz, who rated the track a 300-plus pitch, had laid a handy platform at 2-94 after lunch.

Kasprowicz (2-41) took the key wicket of Andy Flower, playing on for 11, to start the slump and Andrew Symonds (3-25) compounded the visitors' misery.

Symonds, gaining swing and seam from his medium-pacers, earlier snared SA captain Greg Blewett who was adjudged leg before for eight.

South Australia could have had a spring in their step at stumps but rued a missed chance in the fourth last over when Mick Miller dropped Perren at third slip off bustling debutant Andrew Staunton.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:04 am

The Australian team was just announced.

Waugh - captain
Ponting - vc
Hayden
Langer
Martyn
Katich
Gilchrist
Williams
Lee
MacGill
Bracken
Bichel

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:21 am

Glad to see Hohns could make it to watch QLD play even though he would have seen them all play........lol

I wonder which selector was in Perth watching the Vics ??

Boony perhaps ?? Seeing its a long trip he could perhaps sink 20 tinnies on the way...lol

jlc

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:44 am

Ill be there, third day... GO INDIA! screw u brett Lee Very Happy
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:01 pm

JLC, sorry to say it but you are really starting to sound like a broken record with yr continual bleat about how Victoria is being hardly done by.

Please explain to everybody where you see the vacancy for an obviously stupendous Victorian; identify this Victorian and justify why they should be considered ahead of others and who and why someone in a basically successful team should be pushed aside for him.

As I see it, one Victorian Warne will quite obviously walk into the Test team as soon as available. Another Victorian Harvey seemingly has the faith of the selectors for ODI squad despite arguably scant achievement.

Most of the leading Vic players have been around for some time and ARE known quantities to the selectors. Inness may have been under examination but is injured. Hussey may be promising but it is early days and his figures are yet to cry "pick me" to the selectors. The beloved Bradley Hodge got a guernsey for the A match and unfortunately DID NOT advance his case vs other candidates.

Please explain to me who if any amongst the Vics deserves special attention or consideration from the selectors when they will obviously watch them when Vics play away to their home state. Oh, so that is your argument, they only watch players from their home state.

I do not see a WA based selector yet that does not appear to disadvantage their players viz selection. No disrespect but yr argument seems based on state based parochialism than cold analysis.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:21 pm

Ok what special things did Bracken do before he was selected ??

I would be saying Hodge has piled on the runs this summer and Elliot has been there abouts for ages and was very similar to Hayden when they first got selected for Australia. Hayden got a second chance but Elliot has not.

Inness and Harwood have both been pretty good performers and i dont think are any worse than Brad Williams (who never got a look in as a Vic), or Bracken.

Out of the current team MacGill, Langer, Katich, Bichel, Williams, Bracken would all be under pressure to maintain their spots as those players besides Langer dont really pick themselves in the team.

jlc

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:44 pm

I am no big Bracken fan nor a supporter of NSW cricket but which Vic would replace him. Inness is injured and Harwood has not done anything exceptional. Bracken does looked to have improved and has ODI experience where he hasn't been exceptional but has not embarassed either so has that advantage.

Correct me but Brad Williams blazed onto the scene some years ago as a v fast Vic but spent long periods out due to injury not due to the misfortune of being a Vic.

Respect yr point re Elliott vs Hayden. Personally rate Elliott v highly and would have liked to see him have a longer intl career. Perhaps the difference has been that Hayden's domestic form was always in the selectors face whereas Elliott has had injury and perhaps comparatively inferior form.

Hodge scored the runs, fine, and got an A team berth. This was not his first A team opportunity and the sad fact is that he has not taken advantage of them.

Of others cdompeting against him, Love has respectable Test form on the board, can bat top order as well as middle and is an outstanding slipper. Katich has grabbed the opportunities given to him and has looked the part, his bowling has proven valuable and he is a superior fieldsman.
Clarke has also gone ahead of him and has the ODI string to his bow as well as being more versatile.

Arguably these three offer far more and are justifiably ahead of him in the race for spots. Of the rest of yr names, thoroughly agree about McGill the malcontent who will give way to an ageing Warne who still offers far more to the side. The rest are not assured selections but still can't see justification for a Vic to supplant them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: