Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australian PGA - Golf

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Go_The_Mighty_Magpies Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:53 pm
Post subject: Australian PGA - GolfReply with quote

First round scores

December 11, 2003 - Fox Sports

64: Peter Senior (Qld) Steve Collins (WA)

65: Rod Pampling (Qld) 66: Martin Doyle (VIC)

67: Greg Norman (Qld) Craig Parry (NSW) Nick O'Hern (WA) Wade Ormsby (SA) Ed Stedman (NSW) Jens Nilsson (Swe) John Sutherland (Vic) Matthew Ecob (NSW)

68: Adam Scott (Qld) Peter Lonard (NSW) Scott Gardiner (NSW) Joe Ogilvie (USA) Andrew Tschudin (Vic), Steven Bowditch (Qld) Peter O'Malley (NSW) Grant Dodd (Qld)

69: Ben Meyers (Vic) Michael Pearson (USA) Ryan Palmer (USA) Paul Sheehan (NSW) Adam Crawford (Qld) Brett Rumford (WA) Peter Fowler (NSW) Brad Kennedy (Qld) Scott Hend (Qld) Jean Van de Velde (Fra)

70: Michael Harwood (Vic) Craig Jones (Qld) Greg Turner (Nzl) Michael Wright (Qld) Michael Light (Vic) Zane Scotland (Eng) Ian Walker (Qld) Adam Le Vesconte (Qld) Stephen Allan (Vic) Michael Foote (Vic)

71: Steve Elkington (NSW) Stewart Cink (USA) Elliot Boult (Nzl) Euan Walters (Vic) David Diaz (Vic) Aaron Byrnes (NSW) Scott Laycock (Vic) Andrew Buckle (Qld) Chip Beck (USA) Richard Green (Vic) Wayne Perske (Qld) Stuart Leong (Vic) Lucas Main (NSW) Chris Campbell (ACT) Anthony Summers (NSW) Ben Burge (NSW) Michael Long (Nzl) John Senden (Qld) Gareth Paddison (Nzl)

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to basics for Norman

By Dennis Passa - Fox Sports

IT made for an odd sight Thursday, both Greg Norman and Lleyton Hewitt doing things they'd never usually do, on or off a golf course.

There was Norman, yardage book in hand, trying to find sprinkler heads or other markers on the fairway to judge the distance to the green.

And Hewitt, the former world No. 1 tennis player and - this week - a makeshift caddie, with his Nike hat on frontwards, a wet towel draped over his shoulder, dressed in casual blue shorts and carting Norman's clubs in steamy 32C temperatures.

Norman, trying to win his first tournament in more than five years, made his own club selection most of the time as he shot an opening-round 5-under 67, two shots off the lead.

"I probably haven't used a yardage book in 13 years," said Norman. "I had to keep reminding myself to pull it out of my pocket."

The idea was spawned a few months ago during one of the many phone calls between the close friends, and after Hewitt, 22, asked the 48-year-old Norman if he could carry his bag in a tournament.

Norman still brought his long-time caddie, Tony Navarro, with him to Australia but Hewitt will be on Norman's bag at least until Friday and the weekend - if Norman makes the cut.

"As soon as he asked me, I said 'you got to do it, it would be a natural'," said Norman.

"He never got in the way today, he knew the yardages, and there wasn't one situation where I thought 'was he OK'.

"He's been under those circumstances, and if you've got a smart sportsman's head on your shoulders then you respect the sport you're playing. He told me he enjoyed it very much today."

Navarro should be thankful for a few days off, particularly in the hot subtropical temperatures. But he shouldn't be worried about losing his job to Hewitt.

"Normally Tony, when I walk on the tee, he'll tell me the yardage, where the pin is, where the bunkers are and where to hit it," said Norman.

"Lleyton was a backup, making sure I didn't screw up. He never missed a beat."

The 8-handicapper Hewitt, often having to acknowledge frequent "G'day Lleytons" from the crowd, seemed uncomfortable so exposed outside the smaller confines of a tennis court and without a racket in his hand.

On the 1st hole - Norman's 10th Thursday - a 15-foot birdie putt rolled in, Norman's second of the day.

When Hewitt walked up to Norman after the putt, there were no high-fives, backslaps or even handshakes. Hewitt grabbed Norman's putter, the two strode off the green and Norman managed a brief smile.

Norman had birdies on his final three holes, including his last where the ball did a circle around the cup before dropping.

The celebrity pair was often a sideshow to Australian Rod Pampling, a member of the same group who went on a streak of six birdies in eight holes to take the tournament lead with a 65.

"He (Hewitt) knew exactly what he was doing, he was never in the way," said Pampling.

Norman fended off criticism that he could not be serious about winning the tournament if he was using a celebrity caddie.

"I don't think it's a serious point of view," said Norman. "I think when the gun goes off, my concentration is the same. I think it's actually good for me to do my own yardages every now and then to get myself more into the game than I have in the past.

"You are looking at the yardage, you're calculating where the green shapes are. Instead of just getting the yardage and getting the club out, which you do in your prime, now it helps you gear into it a bit more. I think it's more of an asset than a liability."

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:32 pm

Stunning Senior birdie blitz - Fox Sports

QUEENSLAND's Peter Senior has adopted catch-me-if-you-can tactics, going on a birdie blitz on the second day of the Australian PGA Championship at Coolum.

The 44-year-old with the familiar broomstick putter was sweeping in birdies at will, taking his overnight score from eight-under to 15-under with seven birdies in a stunning nine hole burst.

He started his attack on the course at the 507m par five fourth hole and then banged home birdie putts at the fifht, sixth, eighth, 10th, 11th and 12th holes.

Senior, making a comeback from semi-retirement, shot an opening eight-under 64 yesterday.

He returned to perfect conditions early this morning and continued to pepper the pins with his great ball striking.

After yesterday's great round, which included nine birdies, Senior reminded journalists "I'm a very good front-runner".

He was living up to his tip today by scorching the Coolum layout.

Senior, who has more than 20 career wins worldwide, was putting a gap on his rivals like a front-running stayer.

With the wind tipped to pick up this afternoon and the possibility of storms later, Senior's tactics could pay off with a handsome halfway lead.

His nearest rival was Bathurst professional Peter O'Malley who was seven-under after 29 holes and eight off the pace.

Queenslander Rod Pampling, who shot 65 yesterday, is capable of a low number this afternoon unless conditions deteriorate while Greg Norman and Craig Parry need to shoot low when they start their second rounds today.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:00 pm

Senior charges to 15-under - Fox Sports

PETER SENIOR has carded a second round 65 to open up a six-shot lead in the Australian PGA Championship at Coolum today

Senior's rounds of 64 and 65 have him 15-under at the halfway mark in the $1 million tournament.

His nearest rival is Bathurst professional Peter O'Malley, whose second round 67 moved him to nine- under.

Queensland's Adam Scott is still well in contention after his second round 69 to get to seven-under - and eight behind Senior.

The afternoon players - headed by Rod Pampling, Craig Parry and Greg Norman - could have their work cut out to peg back Senior if winds pick up later in the day.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:05 pm

Senior still leads.

He's 17 under and 5 ahead after 7 holes of the 3rd. round.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:41 pm

Norman making ground

PETER SENIOR was still high balling it out in front, but Greg Norman gave his army of fans some thrills as he moved steadily up the Australian PGA Championship leader board today.

Norman's putter let him down yesterday with back-to-back double bogies at 12 and 13 costing him four shots in his two-over 74.

But it was working better today as he carved out six birdies to climb from three under to nine under.

The Shark's chances of winning will depending on whether Senior increases his score or comes back to the field in the afternoon.

When Norman walked off the Coolum course after his 66 he was eight shots behind Senior, who was 17 under after playing seven holes.

"Realistically around here that's too many shots to make up," said Norman.

"I don't think I can make enough putts out there to tell you the truth.

"I'd have to go out there and make 10 birdies and I just can't get a handle on these greens to be honest with you.

"They've got me frustrated, I just can't hit them hard enough."

Norman said if Senior came back to the field he might be a chance of winning.

"I'm going to have a crack at it anyway and I'd like to shoot a real low score and see what happens.

"But I can't see myself making up eight shots because you know the guy is going to make four or five birdies".

Norman said caddie Lleyton Hewitt had been great on his bag this week.

"He's seeing our sport in a different light," said Norman, who appeared more relaxed today after yesterday's 74.

"We (golf players) have to keep control of ourselves when we get mad. Like I said to him yesterday, I just wanted to let it go but I couldn't.

"He said in his sport he could yell or break a racquet and smash a ball back hard.

"But he said if I mis-hit a shot in temper, I'm basically out of it and he sees it differently."

Senior, chasing his first tournament win since the 1997 Canon Challenge, has been in sizzling form with his broomstick putter sweeping down 18 birdies in his first 37 holes.

He was playing aggressively which will either shut the door on his rivals or force the event wide open with several holes on the Coolum layout capable of punishing any careless play.

He was 17 under but had a few seasoned campaigners chasing, including Craig Parry who had a quick start picking up three shots in four holes with a birdie and an eagle to move to 12 under.

Adelaide's Wade Ormsby, who ruined his good 67 start with a 73 yesterday, compiled a sensational round today as he charged up the leader board.

Ormsby, who secured his European Tour card as the second leading qualifier, started the day at four under and 11 behind Senior but shot a stunning course-record equalling 63 to jump into second place on 13 under for the tournament.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:33 am

Third round scores

Fox Sports

198: Peter Senior (Qld) 64 65 69

203: Wade Ormsby (SA) 67 73 63, Craig Parry (NSW) 67 68 68, Rod Pampling (Qld) 65 69 69

204: Scott Gardiner (NSW) 68 71 65, Peter O'Malley (NSW) 68 67 69

206: Ryan Palmer (USA) 69 69 68

207: Greg Norman (Qld) 67 74 66, Scott Laycock (Vic) 71 69 67, Peter Lonard (NSW) 68 72 67, Adam Crawford (Qld) 69 70 68, Peter Fowler (NSW) 69 69 69, Jean Van de Velde (FRA) 69 69 69

208: Stephen Allan (Vic) 70 67 71

209: Matthew Ecob (NSW) 67 72 70, Euan Walters (Vic) 71 67 71, Andrew Bonhomme (Qld) 72 66 71, Nick O'Hern (WA) 67 68 74

211: Jens Nilsson (SWE) 67 73 71, Michael Wright (Qld) 70 70 71, Ed Stedman (NSW) 67 71 73, Adam Scott (Qld) 68 69 74

212: Troy Kennedy (Qld) 72 72 68, Anthony Gilligan (Qld) 73 70 69, David McKenzie (Vic) 77 66 69, Jarrod Moseley (WA) 74 67 71, Gareth Paddison (NZL) 71 65 76

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:27 pm

Congratulations to Peter Senior.

He beat all the young lions and a couple of old pros like Greg Norman and Steve Elkington.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:30 pm

Senior finishes as he started

Fox Sports

PETER SENIOR turned back the clock today completing a bold front-running victory in the $1 million Australian PGA Championship at the Hyatt Regency resort course at Coolum on the Sunshine Coast.

The 44 year-old Queenslander, whose last tour victory was the 1997 Canon Challenge, claimed the Kirkwood Cup with a barrier to box win, holding off a gritty challenge from another Queenslander, Rod Pampling (65-69-69-69) to win by one shot after a three putt last hole bogey.

A gallant Craig Parry (67-68-68-70) took third a shot further back after his assault came to a watery end, attacking the pin on the treacherous 187m par three 11th hole which both Senior and Pampling bogeyed in their efforts to avoid the water.

Senior (64-65-69-73), who only recently returned to the main Tour, failed to break Parry's record low total for the PGA of 269 set in 1992 but collected $180,000 for his 271 total.

He becomes only the second player in his 40s to win the PGA Championship in its 100 year history.

Senior started the day with a five shot lead and the closest anyone got was Pampling who closed within two shots when he birdied the 13th hole.

Senior won a four-round tournament on the Norman von Nida secondary tour in Townsville recently but he regards today's win as his comeback victory after almost giving golf away in 1997 when a victim of the full-swing yips.

Scott Laycock closed with a five-under 67 to finish fourth while West Australian battler Euan Walters had his biggest pay day collecting $36,000 for finishing sixth with rounds of 71-67-71-67.

Adelaide rookie Wade Ormsby, who fired a course record equalling 63 yesterday and played the final round with Senior, who used to live with his parents when he played in Adelaide years ago, fought final day nerves for a 74 for outright seventh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: