Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Scott eyes Shark's mantle

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:09 am
Post subject: Scott eyes Shark's mantleReply with quote

Scott eyes Shark mantle
By Bernie Pramberg - Fox Sports
December 11, 2003

AUSTRALIA'S most exciting golfer, Adam Scott, says he is ready to step up as the long-awaited successor to Greg Norman.

On the eve of today's opening round of the $1 million Australian PGA Championship, Scott candidly staked his claim as heir to the dominant role and responsibilities carried by Norman through the 1980s and '90s.

An assertive Scott, who has rocketed to 21st on the world rankings in just three years as a professional, said he was "definitely" the man to succeed Norman.

"Ultimately, I want to be the No. 1 player in the world and obviously that carries a lot of responsibility," Scott said.

"I've just slowly crept my way up the rankings and gone about my business.

"There aren't many Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcias who just explode on the scene.

"Ever since I was a kid I wanted to be the next Greg Norman. As long as I can have a good influence on the game, especially down in Australia, I would be more than happy to have those expectations on me.

"It's been a natural progression.

"I have become a better player, I deal with the media better than I did two years ago and I don't feel too much pressure."

Scott, 23, this year became the first Australian player since Norman to win on both sides of the Atlantic, taking the Deutschebank Championship on the US Tour and the Scandanavian Masters in Europe.

His goals for 2004 are a successful campaign on the US Tour and to elevate his world ranking inside the top 10.

"Next year could be really good for me. I've set it up for me to play some really good golf," he said.

Scott, who is a genuine international player, said Norman had provided guidance in his early days in the professional ranks.

"I'm trying to be a worldwide kind of player because I enjoy playing in Europe and obviously enjoy America," he said. "Australian golf is in a good position at the moment with five guys in the world's top 50 and a few more close behind them."

The Queenslander has never been prone to rash statements and his comments yesterday were measured and delivered with a quiet confidence.

He said a defining moment in his career came last February at the WGC Accenture Matchplay in California when he played superbly in a semi-final against Tiger Woods – and lost at the 19th hole.

"I felt I played above myself that day," Scott said."I think I played better than Tiger. I just missed a few putts that he would have made."

Scott, who partnered former Test cricket captain Allan Border in yesterday's pro-am, has been installed favourite to win his first Australasian PGA tour event at Coolum.

"It would be pretty special if my first win in Australia was up here where I grew up," he said.

"I'm disappointed that I did not win last week . . . so I'm thinking I may as well do it this week. I'm certainly playing well enough."

Scott stormed home with a closing course record 64 at the MasterCard Masters last Sunday to figure in a fourway playoff with Craig Parry, Jarrod Moseley and eventual winner Robert Allenby.

Norman's hectic schedule continues after today's opening round when he travels to Brisbane to officially open the new multi-million dollar clubhouse at the Brookwater course near Ipswich.

Norman shot a seven-under par 65 in yesterday's pro-am in an eye-catching hitout for the tournament.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: