Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Carlton have just committed themselves to more suffering

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princem007 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:32 pm
Post subject: Carlton have just committed themselves to more sufferingReply with quote

Once again Carlton is trying to patch a side with a multitude of different players who are going to take time to gel. And if these players were any good to start of with or had future potential, do you they would have been let go by their clubs? NO WAY.

Collingwood on the other hand are building a side from youth which has already resulted in 2 Grand Final appearances (ableit losing ones) and Im sure more to come from taking the hard road, not the easy one.

We now have 3 draft picks out of the first 35 which we can use to recruit youth to cover the weaknesses in our list, and although this takes time to develop, we have seen and it is proven that this is the way to go in the long run. Laughing

The moral of the story is you cant produce a premiership side from trade week, and regardless what people say that weve acheived nothing from trade week, that pick 34 could be the next star of this team!!!

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear. A very timely, well thought out and ultimately accurate post.
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:51 pm

Yeeha a voice of sensibility. I can't stand trade week to be honest. And I believe in the past we have done quite well.
Let's have a look shall we.

MM's first year.
Traded Holland, Clement. I remember everyone saying wtf is this. Now Clement is one of our best. And let's not forget the traded draft picks for that year as well.
And to add so far we have picked up Woey who I believe now will play out his career for the Pies. Picked up Williams who is still young and can develop more.

So we did not get Stevens?? Well woopty. We have too many of his type and there was no way Port were going to give him us. So get over it move on and develop what we have. I look forward to the Draft, this is where the talent comes from.

Go Pies!!!!

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Sybil 

floating fairy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:24 pm

Do you seriously have faith in Williams? Woey is a big name, but not a big game performer. Check his finals record. Disappointed we got very little for Scooter.
labrooy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:01 pm

Prince,

There are many reasons why clubs let players go. It doesn't mean they aren't any good.

Picking up tried and tested players to complement the kids is a good idea. MM has done that over the past couple of years. Carlton have done a good job in my mind given the lack of draft picks they have this year. It sets them up well for the draft next year.

Just a quick point. Unless I am missing something we have only two of the first 35 picks, nos 17 and 35. Our other second round pick is going on Braden Shaw.
Buckethead 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:15 pm

Carlton will do well next year, they won't finish bottom 4. Morrell will free up Fevola to play CHF and Scotland and Stevens will make their midfield gun. And theiur backline will now have Teague, Hardford etc. It may be a quick fix but with a coach like Pagan I think it's a good quick fix. Port are children, next year will be a big downhill slide for them now they have no tall defenders, I very much hope so anyway
Buckethead 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:17 pm

Whitnall will also be able to play CHB, Pagan and Carlton will be very happy I imagine
Buckethead 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:19 pm

Add to that a number 2 pick and they gave away sweetFA, sorry last post on Carlton but they've defenitely done well
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:50 pm

Somewhat more competive would be more accurate, Bucket. Doing well may be pushing it. Scotland IS a positive for them as would Stevens, if they can fit him under salary cap. Morrell has promise but has lacked consistency but Harford and Teague, jury still out for them.

Whitnall, when fit, is quality but ruck is still ???? Kouta is not getting any younger or quicker and will prob be asked to fill key posts. Some have have said Scotland and Stevens will make it a good midfield. Not sure, the new guys would be posistives but frankly Camporeale, a gifted player, is too easily distracted and niggly and Hulme is frankly a wart on the arse of this great game. Their defence still remains????

Zegget Libra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:06 pm

is it just me, or am i the only one who reckons scotland is the most underrated player that was/is in our club? i reckon if he was given more time to actually play on the ground rather than benchwarming then we would see his true skills. we look at his performances and for the amount of time he is on the ground, he gets quite a few possies, hes a beautiful kick of the footy (usually) and does those small things which help so much.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:18 pm

Scotland nice guy that he is, is soft and a good handball receiver ala Stevens and ala Camporeale. Who's going to get them the ball?

Morrell will be ok, Teague maybe, Hartford is another Michael Mansfield, Clarke is nothing - Carlton have got better kids than him, Scotland is a very good finisher but struggles to get it himself and can't/won't/doesn't tackle which is very bad for a midfielder (8 tackles in 11 games this year just to give you an idea the guys behind him tackle wise are Freeborn (7 in 3 games), Tarkyn (4 in 3 games) & Swan(3 in 3 games) ), McGrath is a Cockatoo-Collins no worse, no better, Johnson is a who.

Scotland won't handle a good tag breathing down his neck.

Carlton when you really analyse it picked up some slops. Some nice stuff in there but really all sausage meat just the same. Stevens will be a nice handball receiver if they get him. Reminds me of the year they got Mansfield, O'Reilly etc they really are crazy down there. They will be back to square one in 12 months time.

REMEMBER: Sometimes the best trades are the ones that you don't make.
Buckethead 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:55 pm

Cam, Stevens is a young Buckley, Pagan will do wonders for him like Malthouse would of. I really rate Teague, he's got height and is bloody hard it, I'd rather him than pick 35 in the draft. Barnaby French is an ok ruckman. I think Stevens will win their hardball.

As for your last sentance. I totally agree with you, I am really thankful we didn't trade McGough
labrooy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:20 pm

Cam,

I disagree on your assessment of Stevens. He filled a specific role with Port but knows how to get the ball. He works hard with the oppositions best tagger every week and averages 24 possessions in a team with a lot of ballwinners. If Carlton get him it will lift them enormously.
RayByrneForPOPE Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:33 am

The moral of this story prince is you are in dream land mate. More chance of pulling the next Voss out of me bloody Cornflakes packet fair dinkum than pick what?
Look at the last 2 grannys we have youth but need a couple of mid 20 seasoned players not more youth. Youth is good but our team is full of it. We needed a couple of older players mid 20's if we want a flag in next year or 2 but instead we trade Heath Scotland to Carlton for Sweet FA. I hate Carlscums guts but with Scotland and Stevens in the middle they are going to cruise right up that ladder next year and it will make me SICK to see Heath Scotland involved, when he should be taken over the midfield role from Bucks at the PIES.
Just remember 2003 Grand Final Brisbane had 8 players over 30 We had 1
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:40 am

Hmm Carlton have no defence. Have lost Ratten and Murphy Allan and McKernan and Matyn. Have few quality talls. Been a lot of talk about their midfield but Harford barely got a game with the Dorks this year and they couldn't even make the finals. Scotland is inconsistent, Lightning Brett Johnson will fit right into the Blues magoos midfield. Teague and Morrell? Didn't I see these two as regular inclusions and exclusions this year from a team that finished tenth and was playing young and talented players? Look at the top teams over the years. Brisbane and Essendon have largely won a premeirship not by trading for a team but by developing the talent their have drafted ie Lloyd, Hird, Fletcher, Voss, Akermanis, Black. Hell we have risen to where we are today as a result of developing our young talent. Think of it this way. Tarkyn lockyer, Rocca missed the Grand Final side. Lonie, Cole, Cloke, Fraser, can all still improve and some went bakcwards this year (lonie). So we don't necessarily need to recruit any more players because we are a young team we can rely on the development of our current crop of players. Stevens would of been great and I`m annoyed that Port were so pig-headed, but looking on the bright side we are no worse off that when we started the trade period. Also good news as discussed.

As the Crows so aptly demonstrated this year, trading even for big name players like Wayne Carey (and there is few names bigger than his) doesn't guarantee you finals success. Stevens will play for Carlton next year but will he sign anything more than a 1 year contract? Will he want to stay after a year or will he follow Nathan Buckleys lead and play 1 year for a team to ensure he gets to where he always wanted to be?

Did I spend too much time posting on this board today?
Was the dawn of life on earth deliberate or one cosmical, comical misinterpretation of the universal road map by extra-terrestrials?

No answers for sure until next season(the life on earth debate too will be answered during season 2004 - footy has all the answers I've found) only predictions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: