Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Davis Cup final

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:13 pm
Post subject: Davis Cup finalReply with quote

Davis Cup final on grass
September 30, 2003

AUSTRALIA's Davis Cup final with Spain will be played on a grass surface, Tennis Australia announced today.

. Captain John Fitzgerald's team will hope for a better result from the portable grass court which was used in the 2001 final when France beat Australia 3-2.

That court has been stored and maintained outside the venue and will be transported back to Melbourne Park and installed over the Rebound Ace surface at Rod Laver Arena for the November 28-30 final.

Fitzgerald believes grass gives his team its best chance of beating a Spanish team dominated by claycourters including world No.1 Juan Carlos Ferrero, the French Open champion.

His confidence is supported by his team's Wimbledon records.

Former world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt was the 2002 champion there, fellow singles star Mark Philippoussis was a finalist this year and Todd Woodbridge has won eight Wimbledon doubles titles.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hewitt goes all out
By Leo Schlink
November 11, 2003

LLEYTON HEWITT's renowned attention to detail will span two states this week as the former world No. 1 continues to prepare for the Davis Cup final.

Desperate to be in prime form for the November 28-30 clash with Spain at Rod Laver Arena, Hewitt will monitor developments at the Uncle Toby's International in Frankston while he practises on grass at Memorial Drive in Adelaide. Eager to assemble a small squad of hitting partners, Hewitt will invite early-round Frankston casualties to Adelaide to play sets under match conditions.

Hewitt, now 18th in the world after bypassing a string of European events after having a troublesome foot wart treated, will be joined in South Australia tomorrow by Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald.

Wimbledon and US Open winner Hewitt spent last week in Melbourne at Kooyong with his coach Roger Rasheed, who worked with Peter Luczak to hone the world champion's groundstrokes.

Hewitt will increase the intensity of his work this week in the centre court complex at Memorial Drive, which will host the first-round tie next season against Sweden. He'll be pitted against selected opponents in simulated five-set conditions by playing successive best-of-three-sets matches. It is understood Hewitt's junior doubles partner Nathan Healey – a highly-rated juvenile talent – will be among those to test the former world No. 1.

Hewitt's work will be varied with relentless drilling by Rasheed and Fitzgerald.

Tennis Australia will move the portable court to be used for the final from Seymour to Melbourne on Friday, using 14 semi-trailers.

The court, last used for the 2-3 loss to France in the 2001 cup decider, will be in place by Monday but will not be used in practice by either team until the following week.

Australia will renew its long rivalry with Sweden in Adelaide from February 6-8 – either on grass or Rebound Ace.

A decision on the surface will be left to the players following the final against a powerfully equipped Spanish outfit.

"Adelaide will give us the flexibility in selecting a surface as well as being able to accommodate a tie that is likely to generate substantial levels of interest, particularly if Australia wins the forthcoming final," Tennis Australia president Geoff Pollard said.

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:03 pm

CMMONNNNNN is all I can say to you Hewitt haters. This boy has pride in his country, he has passion for Australia like we do for the pies. You won't find any "heart muscle" injuries from Hewitt. He will give his all.

Love him or hate him, you can't deny he gives his all for Australia every single time he plays for the green and gold. Davis Cup lost status within tennis in Australia until he, rafter and the poo put it back into the "important events" category.

Go Spewy, kill these Spaniard buggers!

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:46 pm

Lleyton fresh for Davis Cup
November 12, 2003 - Fox Sports

LLEYTON Hewitt's ten-week sabbatical ensures he will be running on fresh legs in this month's Davis Cup final against Spain in contrast to the weary player who suffered a costly loss to France two years ago.

Hewitt, who has slipped to No.18 in the world rankings, has not played since his five-set win over Switzerland's Roger Federer in September's Cup semi-final while Spain's spearhead and world No.2 Juan Carlos Ferrero has been running himself ragged.

Ferrero admitted to fatigue after a lame loss in round-robin play to Argentinian David Nalbandian at this week's Masters Cup.

Hewitt suffered an opening five-set defeat to Frenchman Nicolas Escude in Australia's 3-2 loss in the 2001 Davis Cup decider when he was coming off a similarly hectic schedule following his US Open victory, Masters Cup triumph and elevation to world No.1.

"It's a very different preparation and it's difficult I think to get the formula absolutely perfect," said Australia's Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald today.

"Two years ago he (Hewitt) did exactly what Juan Carlos did and in the final (against France) he actually lost his first match and maybe he was just a little bit exhausted.

"There's a fine line there between getting the right number of matches and the right amount of fitness and hitting enough balls and working on the things that you need to work on."

The Australian squad – Hewitt, Mark Philippoussis, Todd Woodbridge and Wayne Arthurs – will assemble in Melbourne early next week ahead of the November 28-30 tie.

Like they did against France, the Australians have opted to play on a specially laid grass court at Melbourne Park.

Fitzgerald said Hewitt's extended break would prove to be beneficial next year.

"It's a tough game tennis, it's a worldwide game, they're jet-lagged a lot, they don't have an off-season and for three years in a row he was in Davis Cup finals," Fitzgerald said.

"He's had four very long years in a row with a couple of weeks at the end of the year that he might call his off-season, then he's into it again.

"So I think this year he's decided he needed a bit of an extended break and I think it will work in his favour as the next year rolls on."

Hewitt, who was practising on a grass court at Adelaide's Memorial Drive today, looked to have muscled up significantly during his time away from competition.

Asked about the chance of Hewitt recapturing the world No.1 ranking, Fitzgerald said: "Absolutely, I think he can, I think he'll be a better player.

"That may not necessarily mean he'll get to No.1, but I certainly think he can.

"He has the ability and desire to do it and he's very happy at the moment with his preparation for the Davis Cup and also for the Australian summer."

molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:58 pm

Its all Lleyton these days man!!!!!!. What about giving the other players in the Aussie side a mention to. *rofwl*. I think its great that he's a proud aussie but please,give the other members of the davis team credit. Or do we only have 1 decent player?.

ooops,i just re read some messages again and saw the poo's name there.

*'94-03:10 Gr8 yrs*
*169 Games* *'02 V.C*
*2nd in '01 copeland

Last edited by molloymagic on Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:59 pm

Ummmm. . . Why? What do you like most about it?
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:27 pm

Hewitt 'not arrogant enough'
November 14, 2003 - Fox Sports

PAT RAFTER believes Lleyton Hewitt has fallen off his perch because of a lack of arrogance, but predicts Australia's former world No.1 will inspire a comprehensive thumping of Spain in the Davis Cup final.

Rafter has tried for years to convince people that Hewitt's confrontational on-court demeanour, a classic case of white-line fever, belies a more gentle nature when he's around friends and family.

Hewitt officially lost the year-end world No.1 ranking to American dynamo Andy Roddick this week, capping a poor season of botched Grand Slams that can only be salvaged by a Davis Cup triumph in Melbourne from November 28-30.

"He's a very humble kid, when you really get to know Lleyton," Rafter told Fox Sports.

"He just doesn't have that real arrogance, that air of 'I'm going to do this and shove it in your face' sort of thing. He knows his limitations and I guess he didn't back himself this year.

"It's hard to stay at the top of the game. When you're No.1 there's only one place to go. If we don't see big results from him next year, I definitely think the year after he'll develop more as a player and as a person."

Hewitt showed his trademark courage in the Davis Cup semi-final with Switzerland, clawing his way off the canvas to beat world No.2 Roger Federer in five gruelling sets.

Rafter warned that the Spanish should not be taken lightly on the specially laid grass court in Melbourne, despite their hopes resting largely on a pair of clay court machines in Juan Carlos Ferrero and Carlos Moya.

With Hewitt and Mark Philippoussis, Australia have the winner and runner-up from the last two years at Wimbledon.

"He loves playing Davis Cup," Rafter said of Hewitt.

"He's a geeat man to have in your team. There's not another man I'd have. He'd be the No.1 guy I'd pick every single time.

"Lleyton's all fired up – the Spanish are going to be tough, though, and the Australians had better not underestimate how good these guys are. Although it's on grass they'll be very, very competitive ... even though I back Australia to win 3-0."

Australia are heavily favoured, but the memory lingers of the debacle against France two years ago.

On grass in the same arena, Hewitt and Rafter were the major players in a stunning 3-2 loss.

Hewitt went down to Nicolas Escude in his opening singles. Rafter beat Sebastien Grosjean for 1-1. Hewitt and Rafter lost a shocker in the doubles to Cedric Pioline and Fabrice Santoro. Hewitt squared the ledger at 2-2 by beating Grosjean to start the final day, but Rafter mysteriously withdrew from the deciding fifth rubber, which was lost by a teary-eyed Wayne Arthurs.

Hewitt, Philippoussis, Arthurs and Todd Woodbridge will line up against Ferrero, Moya, the rapidly improving Feliciano Lopez and stubborn 29-year-old Alex Corretja.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:27 pm

Warning: Scud will explode
By Leo Schlink - Fox Sports
November 19, 2003

DAVIS Cup coach Wally Masur predicts Mark Philippoussis - a surprise addition to Australia's Davis Cup practice ranks at Kooyong yesterday - is poised to explode in next week's final against Spain at Rod Laver Arena.

"I think Mark is going to really fire up next weekend," Masur said. "We're gonna see some fireworks.

"This is a surface (grass) that he really enjoys. It comes easily to him and he's got here as soon as he could after the Masters (Cup in Houston).

"He got off the plane and he said he was just going to have a light hit and an hour later he's still out there.

"It's very encouraging he feels this good, getting off the plane from San Diego. That's a good start."

Philippoussis was initially expected to ease the jet-lag out of his frame with a gentle workout. But he surprised and delighted Masur and team captain John Fitzgerald with a solid session as Lleyton Hewitt jousted with young Aussie Todd Reid on a nearby court.

"It was just a light hit," Philippoussis said. "Take each day as it comes.

"I just got off the plane, so I'm loosening up. It's good to get a sweat going.

"There's nothing to be over-confident about. Anything can happen as you saw against France. Obviously I'm very excited about being on grass."

Fitzgerald was satisfied after the first official session.

"I was pleased. The first day is always a bit tentative," Fitzgerald said.

"Mark worked up a sweat to help him acclimatise a bit quicker and I was pleased to see him practise for that long. It was good to see.

"Lleyton's been on grass for two weeks, he's hit a lot of balls already and he's timing the ball well.

"We'll try to single out a few sets for him this week. He had three straight today against Todd and won all three of them, so he's going OK."

Fitzgerald, stung by the 3-2 loss to France two years ago on grass, again warned against complacency.

"I was very wary of (Switzerland's) Roger Federer (in the semis) and that panned out to be a pretty close tie," he said.

"We are very wary of the Spaniards. They have an incredible amount of depth. They're a wonderful team with highly ranked players who've had a lot of experience at this level. So, under any conditions, they're going to be hard to beat.

"We think we can do it. We're here preparing, trying to get into a good frame of mind early.

"We're going to try to peak at the right time and win."

Todd Woodbridge will prac tise today after flying in from the US, while Wayne Arthurs is likely to make his first appearance at practice tomorrow.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:30 pm

Lleyton's on fire

By Bruce Matthews - Fox Sports

DAVIS Cup coach Wally Masur believes Lleyton Hewitt is ready right now to go into combat against Spain.

Masur said the team must devise ways to keep the Wimbledon and US Open champion fresh, even ordering him to hit the golf course instead of the tennis court in the build-up to next week's final.

"The ball is coming off his racquet so sweetly. If we had to play this match in two or three days' time, Lleyton's ready," Masur said.

"Our biggest job will be holding him back and getting it right for Friday (week) because he has done the work."

Hewitt again emphasised his almost fanatical commitment to the final starting at Melbourne Park tomorrow week with a spirited two hours match-simulated practice session against team hitting partner Todd Reid at Kooyong yesterday.

The deposed world No.1 was even into a smattering of his familiar "c'mon" clenched fist salutes after blazing winners past the Wimbledon junior champion.

Despite not playing a match since his epic five-set win over Swiss ace Roger Federer in the Cup semi-final in September, Hewitt is the most advanced of the Australian players while the Spanish are yet to start preparations on grass here.

"A few people questioned his preparation and the bottom line, if you decide to take some time off and work, that's great. But you have to do the work. And it's pretty apparent he has done the work," Masur said.

"He's loaded up, he has done the lot. He has almost had like a pre-season. He has been committed to this tie almost from the moment he beat Federer back in September.

"He has been working consistently on certain aspects of his game on the court and off the court. He has been working with Roger Rasheed in Adelaide and I take my hat off to him. He has delivered him ready to go."

Masur dismissed concerns Hewitt may have peaked too soon, pointing out that captain John Fitzgerald and himself can pull him back in the team environment with Mark Philippoussis, Todd Woodbridge and Wayne Arthurs over the next week.

"It's fine. That's why a team environment is good because he'll also play some doubles against Todd and Wayne and there's different aspects of team training. He'll do things leading up to these matches that he wouldn't do at a grand slam. That's what keeps you fresh, there's something different every day.

"You take him to golf or do something else. Look, he really is very close to being ready to play. So that's pretty encouraging for us."

Woodbridge agreed that timing was critical to be performing at maximum level on the days that most matter.

"But if there's one guy who can cope with that, it's him. He doesn't dwell on much and he has the confidence to walk out and hit the ball well straight up," he said.

"I don't think it will bother him. The only problem is if you get a bit nervous, and he doesn't normally get nervous."

Reid was left in awe of Hewitt's power and placement still nine days out from the final. "He's really eager to win this and it's pretty tough out there. He's getting back every ball and pumping his fist even in practice. It's really something," the youngster said.

A 55-year-old record will tumble when Woodbridge walks on to court beside Arthurs for the pivotal doubles in next week's final.

It will be Woodbridge's 29th tie, bettering the previous mark established by the late Adrian Quist.

The 32-year-old can reflect on the prospect of setting a new mark in our rich Davis Cup folklore because he won't have time to be pensive when he and Arthurs take on the Spaniards on Saturday week.

Quist and his partner John Bromwich were one of the world's finest doubles pairs of the 30s and 40s and stirred Australia's Davis Cup passion by winning the famous silver bowl off the Americans on their home turf in 1939.

"Quist and Bromwich were the guys who started that with (Harry) Hopman. And to break those records, I feel very honoured and humble," Woodbridge said yesterday.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:19 pm

Forgiving Hewitt won't forget
By leo Schlink
November 21, 2003

LLEYTON Hewitt may have forgiven Alex Correjta for inciting a baying Barcelona crowd into hysteria and hatred against Australia in the 2000 final, but he has not forgotten.

While Corretja yesterday attempted to soften memories of the ferocious clash three years ago by confirming an apology to Hewitt last year, the world champion said images of a hostile tie were "all in the memory bank".

Hewitt was subjected to the worst crowd behaviour of his career during a tie Pat Rafter described as his "nastiest" as the pair reflected on three days of relentless abuse.

Corretja, at Kooyong to prepare for next week's final at Rod Laver Arena, sought out Hewitt at the US Open last year to discuss the tie.

"Fortunately, we had a talk already last year at the US Open," Corretja said. "I introduced myself to him and I said, 'Listen, I do apologise to you if I said something that bothers yourself. And I probably should have come straight to you and said to yourself'.

"He accepted and since that day I believe we are in good conditions to talk and we say hello to each other and I think it's pretty fine.

"There was a lot of controversy in that tie. We spoke with the guys afterwards and I think now everything's calmed down."

Hewitt drew energy from the venomous Barcelona crowd to uncork a magnificent performance to down Albert Costa who, along with former captain Javier Duarte, also upset Rafter and captain John Newcombe.

"There was very little respect for the whole game and the tradition of Davis Cup," Hewitt recalled.

"I don't mind loud crowds and whatever, but in Spain they were just throwing stuff and carrying on.

"There's no doubt that Alex and Duarte, the captain, were both headlining the whole situation and built it up that way, talking to the media."

Hewitt revealed the extent of the Spanish propaganda blitz.

"We went to a restaurant in Barcelona and this Spanish guy goes 'Have you seen the newspaper?' and he translated it for me.

"The article said 'You've got to learn to hate this guy' and there was a big picture of me. That made me all the more hungry to go out there and beat Costa on day one, which I was able to do.

"Going into this tie, I've talked to Alex since then, but it's all in the memory bank."

Corretja, twice voted by his peers winner of the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship award, displayed a different side to his personality in the lead-up to the final by isolating Hewitt as a threat to Spain's Cup hopes.

The Spaniard declared in Lisbon at the Tennis Masters Cup he did not like Hewitt's on-court behaviour, notably his gesturing and "C'mon cry", describing it as strange.

Corretja has joined singles contender and Cup debutante Feliciano Lopez at Kooyong.

Twice able to reach Wimbledon's fourth round, Lopez remains strongly in contention to oust Carlos Moya from singles duty.

Moya is expected to arrive in Mel bourne today, with Juan Carlos Ferrero due tomorrow.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:47 pm

Hewitt promises 1-0 start
By Mike Hedge
November 27, 2003

LLEYTON Hewitt had his wish to get square with Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero granted today when he was drawn to play the opening match of the Davis Cup final against Spain.

The Australian No.2 plays Ferrero in tomorrow's first singles rubber – a match that will be a repeat of the decisive final rubber of the 2000 final won by Spain.

But this time, with the help of a piece of portable lawn, Hewitt firmly believes he will put his country on course for its 28th Cup win.

With Mark Philipoussis to follow against Carlos Moya, Australia is a firm favourite to be 2-0 going into Saturday's doubles rubber.

With Hewitt, though, nothing is taken for granted.

The former world No.1 goes into tomorrow's match with the same-single-minded desire he displayed here two months ago when he hauled Australia back from the brink of defeat in the semi-final against Switzerland.

"Flip (Philipoussis) and I both know what we have to do," Hewitt said.

"It didn't really matter who played first, we both know we have to go out and play as well as we can and get Australia off to a good start.

"I'm out there first and Flip is going to be in the locker room ... one-nil up when he goes out."

Both teams will field their anticipated line-ups, Australia going with the proven doubles pair of Wayne Arthurs and Todd Woodbridge and Spain resisting the temptation to play the youngster Feliciano Lopez in singles.

Lopez had been mooted as a possibility to take Moya's place because of his decidedly un-Spanish ability on grass.

But he has been selected only in doubles where he will partner the experienced Alex Corretja.

While Hewitt is likely to again be the mainstay of the Australian team, Ferrero, his day-one opponent will play the same role for Spain.

The world No.3 and reigning French Open champion beat Hewitt in the match that gave Spain its only Davis Cup victory.

That match was marked by a Spanish crowd that was ridiculously hostile toward the Australians, a feature of the final that wasn't lost on Ferrero who wouldn't mind if the Australian fans reciprocated.

"They talk a little bit after the final that the crowd was a little bit strange or whatever," Ferrero said.

"But I hope they are the same in Australia."

In Melbourne, it is more likely to be the court, rather than the crowd, that plays the part of the local villain.

Australia exercised its prerogative of choosing the surface for the final somewhat cynically by selecting grass.

The aversion of Spanish players to the green stuff is well known, several of them having boycotted Wimbledon two years ago when they were seeded according to their lack of ability on turf, rather than their world rankings.

Ferrero played Wimbledon this year, reaching the fourth round where he lost to the accomplished French grass-courter Sebastien Grosjean.

He has attempted to improve himself on grass by having a court installed at his academy in Spain.

Lopez, too, isn't that uncomfortable on grass.

But Moya hasn't played on it for almost three years and today said he had erased all memory of his last grass-court match.

The contrived, home-court advantage shouldn't, however, be taken for granted.

Australia imagined it had the same edge over France here two years ago, only to be turned over by a team that was more committed.

The Spanish admit they have chatted to the French about their experience of two years ago.

"They have told us some things that went on when they played Australia," said Spanish captain Jordi Arrese.

"But we believe we have a great team who is working well.

"We have maybe learnt something, but we have a great team ....we have come here to win."

So has Australia, and they also learned a lot from the French.

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:52 am

FIRE UP Australia!!! Give these mugs the hostile reception they gave us - minus the ludicrous unsportsmanlike conduct.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:08 pm

Hewitt ties it up
By Toby Forage - Fox Sports
November 28, 2003

LLEYTON Hewitt has levelled the opening rubber of the Davis Cup final, roaring back to win the second set against Juan Carlos Ferrero.

The Australian had got off to a poor start, dropping the first set 3-6 to the Spaniard as the sunshine poured over Melbourne Park.

Ferrero got the early jump on the former world No.1, creating six break-point opportunities on the grass, and converting one when it mattered.

It was Hewitt's serve that let him down in the first set as he only managed to win 27 per cent of the points on his second serve and gifted Ferrero two points with double faults.

But Hewitt rallied in the second set, improving the serving and putting Ferrero under extreme pressure with fierce groundstrokes as the rallies developed.

It earned him a break point in the eighth game of the second set, an opportunity he duly grasped to allow him to serve for the set.

The Australian breezed through his service game, losing just one point, to take the set 6-3 and level up the tie at one set all.

Ferrero's change of fortune was further reflected by the fact he didn't create a break-point opportunity for himself through the 35-minute duration of the second set.

Australia is seeking revenge against Spain for the final of 2000, when the Spanish won on clay in Barcelona.

Proceedings got off to a controversial start after the wrong Spanish anthem was played at the opening ceremony.

Spain's Sports Minister Juan Antonio Gomez-Angulo waved furiously and yelled from the stands as the pre-civil war republican anthem was played.

He was fuming at a press conference afterwards claiming the error was an insult not only to the players and Spanish delegation but to the entire nation.

There were rumblings among Spanish supporters in the crowd as soon as the pre-Franco anthem began but Australian captain John Fitzgerald quickly apologised to the crowd after learning of the mistake.

The correct current anthem for Spain was then played as the players - Juan Carlos Ferrero and Lleyton Hewitt - walked out on court for the opening singles rubber.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:04 pm

How gutsy is this bloke !!??

Hewitt was down 2 sets to 1 and claws his way back to 6-6 and wins the tie break, 7-0 !!

He has a break in the fifth set and steamrolling the #3 player in the world.

He just broke again and leads 5-2.

He wins it 6-2 and Australia win the first rubber. Amazing.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:16 pm

Hewitt clambers to victory
By Toby Forage - Fox Sports
November 28, 2003

LLEYTON Hewitt needed all his bullish spirit to put Australia 1-0 up in the Davis Cup final against Spain this afternoon, defeating Juan Carlos Ferrero 3-6, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6. 6-2.

The Australian No.1 had to fight back from a set down twice before beating his Spanish counterpart in an epic battle that lasted close to four hours.

In a fascinating battle that favoured both men in equal measure, Hewitt only managed to turn the screws towards the end, cleaning up his opponent in a fourth-set tie-break 7-0 before dousing some late Ferrero fire in the fifth and final set en route to victory.

Hewitt got away to a 3-0 lead in the final stanza before Ferrero clawed back to 3-2. But by then, the momentum had been well and truly lost as Hewitt just squeezed a little tighter to choke all life out of the match.

However, it was Ferrero who had Spain in the box seat for large chunks of the match as Hewitt made uncharacteristic errors, not least on his serve.

The Australian He served seven double faults to Ferrero's one through the first three sets, and struggled to win much on his second serve as his two-month layoff left him bereft of match form.

But while his looked rusty, his enormous heart clearly hasn't missed a beat, and after close to four hours, he was the one smiling while Spanish eyes were brooding.

0 Ferrero had shown signs of winning, not least in a see-saw third set, when he kept his cool in searing temperatures to blast his fifth and sixth aces as he served for the set.

Hewitt had already had to rally to win the second set, improving his errant serve to put Ferrero under extreme pressure with fierce groundstrokes as the rallies developed.

It earned the Australian a break point in the eighth game, an opportunity he duly grasped before serving out comfortably for the set 6-3.

But it was after the tie-break that Ferrero lost heart, and despite a couple of late surges, he couldn't muster enough to clamber over the Hewitt steamroller.

Mark Philippoussis plays Carlos Moya in the second rubber with a game perfectly suited to the slick grass.

If he can get Australia 2-0 up, the final could well be over barely before it has begun.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: