Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grand Final Ticket Allocation Idea - Feedback Wanted

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdesmaele 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:26 pm
Post subject: Grand Final Ticket Allocation Idea - Feedback WantedReply with quote

I would firstly like to congratulate the club for coming up with a random draw for club members who do not have reserved grand final tickets.
Even though I missed out on both ballots I believe this was a fairer way then the old line up for days routine.

However as an alternative how about these tickets are instead allocated to people based on the number of years they have been a member. This would definitely give people an incentive to sign up in times of gloom (lets hope that's not for a while yet) and is the fairest way I believe to allocate tickets. It's only fair that someone who has paid for a membership for say 10 years gets a ticket before someone who has paid up for only 1 or 2 years.

The software / database you use would need to handle this information. But with 6 years IT experience I can say that this wouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

Anyway that's something I have been thinking about for some time.
Feel free to discuss...
ConBigWig 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea tdesmaele.
Very fair and rewards people for their long term support!

"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol"
magpie willow 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:53 pm

Yeah I reckon thats a good fair idea but why dont they just have all members from the 2 clubs get a seat and stuff al the bloody suits who get to go its so unfair i hate it its the members and fans who deserve to go and thats it!

CARN THE PIES!!!!
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:59 pm

I'd be more comfortable with a system that rewarded on recent commitment. You can have a lot of people that may pay their memberships, but never attend games. (Melb based members only.) The types who step in to "rightfully" (?) claim their finals tickets at the business end of the season.

In this day and age where everything is bar-coded and recorded, preference should go to the person who may only have been able to afford a membership in the last year or 2, but has attended all games possible over a 10 year member who's been twice.

It's not how long you've been a financial member (although it's very important), footy's about passion and commitment.

Give the ticket to the guy who's turned up rain, hail or shine, win, lose or draw week in, week out THIS year.

Just my opinion...
magpie willow 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:02 pm

Hey Mandy,

I reckon thats a sensational idea and the way to go good idea and if that was done i would be very happy and I know I would be gaurranteed a seat cos I never miss a game! Laughing

CARN THE PIES!!!!
tdl 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:21 pm

totally agree with previous post that it seems so unfair when all members of the competing clubs in the GF cannot secure GF tickets.

this is exactly the reason why I changed from CFC club membership to AFL membership with CFC club support because it's a ridiculous notion that I attend all Melb based games and cannot get a tick for the GF.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:22 pm

Good points. In the GF, no clubs, apart from the participating clubs should receive tickets.
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:34 pm

magpie willow wrote:
I reckon thats a sensational idea

Yeah, it is. But knowing the AFL like I do, it's exactly why I'm also an AFL Collingwood club support member as well. Just to be sure...

Logic plays no part in the thinking of the "brains trust" running this competition. Evil or Very Mad
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:03 pm
Post subject: Re: Grand Final Ticket Allocation Idea - Feedback WantedReply with quote

tdesmaele wrote:
However as an alternative how about these tickets are instead allocated to people based on the number of years they have been a member. This would definitely give people an incentive to sign up in times of gloom (lets hope that's not for a while yet) and is the fairest way I believe to allocate tickets. It's only fair that someone who has paid for a membership for say 10 years gets a ticket before someone who has paid up for only 1 or 2 years.

So, no person under 18 would get a GF ticket...no kids in cheersquad...you buy a membership and get your entrance to H&A games....finals are a bonus. 40000 into 10 or 15000 doesn't go, pretty simple really. Anyone who buys a membership would have to be well aware of that.

Joel wrote:
Good points. In the GF, no clubs, apart from the participating clubs should receive tickets.

Will never ever happen, non participant clubs make far too much money out of GF packages, as the pies undoubtedly did between 1990 and last year, for example, and will do so again if we don't make it.

Is it fair??? I dunno, but that's just the way the world works...get used to it.
Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:40 pm

Joel wrote:
Quote:

yeh thats basically the crux of the issue - the fact that 20,000 odd sponsors and wealthy of the non-competing clubs are able to attend - when the competing clubs own members cant. Refer to my post in the thread "olympic park, the presidents response" for my views. http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=12159&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I'd like to think LD that one day this would happen and clubs would find other ways of making money instead of short-changing their members. Its needs action by clubs and the AFL combined and an attitude that "things can and must be changed".

Even if non-competing clubs only get 50 - 100 tickets (instead of 1500) for the grandfinal, then this is 20,000 tickets extra for members which is nearly double the current allotment for members.

Unfortunately I agree with tdl in that AFL membership does at least offer you the chance to see the team you support every single week of the year play on that weekend that really matters. Obviously the club will be getting less money, but then again whats it matter if they make it up by charging prices beyond the affordability of most supporters by giving these tickets to those that can afford it and include it as part of special grand final packages.

I want to support my club as much as I can financially and by cheering and getting others involved with the club and have always done so, and its absolutely heartbreaking to think that there are thousands and thousands of people who really have no interest in your club being able to walk up and take your seat should the team be fortunate enough to make the grandfinal. Especially when there are better ways.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:03 pm

mandy wrote:
I'd be more comfortable with a system that rewarded on recent commitment. You can have a lot of people that may pay their memberships, but never attend games. (Melb based members only.) The types who step in to "rightfully" (?) claim their finals tickets at the business end of the season.

In this day and age where everything is bar-coded and recorded, preference should go to the person who may only have been able to afford a membership in the last year or 2, but has attended all games possible over a 10 year member who's been twice.

It's not how long you've been a financial member (although it's very important), footy's about passion and commitment.

Give the ticket to the guy who's turned up rain, hail or shine, win, lose or draw week in, week out THIS year.

Just my opinion...

It's been my experience that many members don't turn up rain, hail or shine, win, lose or draw every week, however, their barcoded ticket will say they do because they lend them out to their mates. I know so many people who do this. At all the home games at TD, I have different people sitting next to me each time, but all the tickets (about 6) belong to the same person who has turned up about twice this year.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think what the Club did last year was probably the best ANY club has ever done for their members.

Bones 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:23 pm

It will NEVER be solved until we get a stadium that can seat 150,000 plus.

There must be a reward system for those members and season ticket holders that attend games, some how.

Many teams rely on that extra income from the 1500 GF tickets. I'm sure the Doggies do.

Questions?

Are there limits to number of tickets bought on one membership? If not then 1 membership equals 2 GF tickets. I hate seeing these greedy bastards getting great fistfuls of 10-20. They think they are so smug.

I presume the 1500 allocated tickets are freebies. Are they? If they are then why can't the competing teams buy back minimum 500 from each club at face value. That would free up 7000.

God help the 2 teams that make it this year.
HotPies90 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:30 pm

I also think the fairest system would be to give priority to those members that attend the most games, and I've posted that idea before (see the Olympic Park, the President's response thread). However what Proud Pies says is a fair point, just scanning membership cards means the system could be rorted.

The solution is simple: Photo ID. While this might make the process of getting a membership a bit more complicated, surely it would be worth it in the long run?

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:33 pm

Proud Pies wrote:

It's been my experience that many members don't turn up rain, hail or shine, win, lose or draw every week, however, their barcoded ticket will say they do because they lend them out to their mates. I know so many people who do this. At all the home games at TD, I have different people sitting next to me each time, but all the tickets (about 6) belong to the same person who has turned up about twice this year.

I've mentioned the solution to this before, surgically implant membership chips, just like pets can get!
STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:02 am

there are to many pro's and cons to this debate
If it goes on years as a member and they live intersstate or country it is not there fault they can't go to all the games if they lived in melbourne maybe they could go more often,so if you go by years as members people will still complain.Un fortunately having tickets fo the two teams involved won't work either because it is all about the $$ a grand final can raise.If my business was pumping dollars into the collingwood football club year after year and i only could see a few games a year and we made the grand final.I think from the clubs view they would have to look after the sponsor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: