Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

'Bandwagoner' vs 'True supporter' - What's the difference?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

the weed,

AnthonyC said that because there have been topics on this before, that have turned into all out war. I reckon he is probably right, this topic may or may not head in that direction, but in all likelyhood it will.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:12 pm

well, let's hope that's not a self-fulfilling prophecy ... certainly not my intention. Dang, why can't we all just get along... Very Happy
klf Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:27 pm

I personally don't see why it would end up as an all out war. Nobody is attacking anyone else or being nasty so there's not really a need for it to get ugly. So far people have just been sharing their opinions as most people do on an open forum.

If anyone feels the need to make it get bit unpleasant then they are a bit silly, there's no reason for it. I think everyone has been fine so far, let's hope it continues that way!

After all, we're all here for the same reason.. right?

Smile
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:38 pm

Bandwagoner is a term that is thrown about a lot. Amongst us it would have to be one of the worst insults, to be likened to a Richmond bandwagoner, makes us see red.

But what does it actually mean? What makes a bandwagoner?

Well I guess there are two different definitions at least.
1. Noun. Someone who jumps off their team while they are unsuccessful, onto another successful team. These are mostly kids or adults with little interest in football.
2. Noun. Someone who only is interested in there team when they are doing well.

So you can not be a bandwagoner if,
1. you attend / watch (nearly) every game you can (excuses are acceptable) OR
2. are known as a Collingwood supporter by (nearly) everyone you know

I do not think it has anything to do with being a member, or how long who have been a member, or how much of your disposable income is channelled towards the club and the game. I think this is the root of the the controversy hinted at by AnthonyC. Trying to buy a social club membership in grand final reeks of bandwagoning, but (in my opinion) the full facts need to be known.

Everyone here, at a point, decided to barrack for Collingwood (even if some of us do not remember not supporting Collingwood), so the act of choosing an initial team is definitely not bandwagoning.

I was wondering, living up in Brisbane, maybe you were accused of jumping off Rugby onto the AFL bandwagon. Just a thought. You certainly do not sound like a bandwagoner to me.

But a true supporter will not easily let their kid get subverted to another team. Fight like a wild cat. We can give you all sorts of advice on how to euchre that EssAndEm supporter.

Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:47 pm

I have been to 99% of Collingwood games in Melbourne over the last 10 years.
I have not missed a Collingwood game in Melbourne since 1998.
I live and breathe Collingwood. I consider myself a true supporter.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:53 pm

klf,

You might not see how it call turn into an all out war, but we have seen it before, with our own eyes. Like AnthonyC suggested, do a search for the term bandwagoner and you will notice some of the heartache it causes.

Having said that, if everyone is willing to talk about it nicely, then so be it. However, this is one topic that does cause very heated debate among supporters.
klf Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:02 pm

Oh Joel, I don't doubt that at all. I know how passionate people can be, so I can understand what you're saying.

I was just saying that so far people have seemed to be ok with it, no one's being offensive or anything so hopefully it'll continue anything.

Gees, the last thing I want is to cause fights or anything and hopefully everyone else feels the same way. Smile
AGE Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:15 pm

Some really good reading here.
Good topic from klf. Well done for choosing the Pies over the Lions!

Great posts from Donny and The Weed.

Me, I don't hate Collingwood bandwagon supporters. Everybody wants to be part of a winning team. So why not? You still have an allegiance to the club, I guess that's just the way some people function. The thing that really gripes me is this switching teams bullshit. That gets to me the worst.

Just reminds me of the mid-90's, when the Richmonds and North Melbournes of the the league came out in their droves. And now where are they?? (the supporters, not the teams). I don't want Collingwood supporters to be drawn into parallel like them.
joffa_the_man_in_gold 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:51 pm

Lets put it this way in not so many words

There were plenty of bandwagoners at last years grand final..these same disgusting pieces of filth were no where to be seen 4 years ago when this club was being arse belted 10 weeks running.

They jump on in good times and go on how good a supporter they are when in actual fact there nothing at all!!!!!!

Joffa Corfe

email.. joffa@magpies.net
magpie willow 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:58 pm

hey pally,

Thats a great post i totally agree with it its unfair them filth got tickets last year and I didnt I just hate it pally and if unfrotunately one day we are losing 10 weeks in a row every week ill be there cos I love this club to death and it dont matter how theyre goin but when they are successful its the best I LOVE COLLINGWOOD!

CARN THE PIES!!!!
Rach20 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:01 pm

I agree with you Joffa. I have been a Collingwood Supporter and Member since I was born (23years ago) I was as little as 4 when I went to my first match and go all the time. I never miss a match. At last years Grand Final i got so many phone calls to get tickets for my friends who say they barrack for Collingwood. I never saw them at matches during the year and now all of a sudden they want to go to the footy just because they made the GF. Of course I said no to these people and didn't get them tickets.
joffa_the_man_in_gold 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:08 pm

No arguments
No rocket science
No logic

If any person on this board could not be bothered to see the pies play when we were rock bottom you are indeed the very meaning of the term bandwagoner

Close the thread thanks, to argue about it is stupid and only makes those with some sort of guilt complex feel better!!!!

Joffa Corfe

joffa_the_man_in_gold 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:11 pm

PS.. say what yous bloody well like i wont be visiting this topic again to hear people backing bandwagoners makes wanna chuck all over the bloody computer....COLLINGWOOD IN GOOD TIMES AND IN BAD TIMES!!!

Joffa Corfe

Swanny21 Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:14 pm

Welcome Klf,

Great first post! And one that had me agreeing with you. My comments are to those who passionately dislike bandwagoners.

Just my opinion, but get rid of the bandwagoners and all that would be left to watch the game would be the cheersquads:)

Honestly, and please don't be offended, but people who get upset about this, and rant and rave about bandwagoners being a blight on the game, are falling for the age old trap of trying to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down.

Bandwagoners, in the true sense of the word, are very few and far between and pose no threat to anyone, so why all the anger towards them? The Grand Final has nothing to do with this as half of the crowd are from clubs that didn't make it.

And yes, I'm offended at the term and think that it borders on bigotry. It also, by all the criteria mentioned of what constitutes a bandwagoner, makes me one:)

A question to those who know. How do you spot the Bandwagoner? Is it the clothes they wear, lack of team colours, the seats they are in? How many do you know personally? I ask these questions in the hope that you will think about it deeply. This enemy is almost invisible, to me anyway. I can only assume that to know a bandwagoner you would have to know him personally, to know his habits, to see him cheer when his team does well and to fall away when the going gets tough?

I really admire the passion that's displayed at games by the "true" supporters. Unfortunately for me I'm a quiet, shy person who has trouble showing my emotion outside of family. If that makes me a bandwagoner then so be it:)

Did I mention that I really dislike the term bandwagoner?Smile Be proud to follow the biggest sporting club in the land, the bandwagoners will drop off one day, NOT:)
johnny@ Aries

Soccer is FOOTBALL.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:15 pm
Post subject: What aboutReply with quote

Magpie Since 1986 wrote:
I have been to 99% of Collingwood games in Melbourne over the last 10 years.
I have not missed a Collingwood game in Melbourne since 1998.
I live and breathe Collingwood. I consider myself a true supporter.

What about people who work and cannot make the matches or families that cannot afford it because of home payments and the like, who might be able to go to 2-3 matches a season only? Are they not capable of being true supporters as you put it? I have a problem with the way you said that which makes me want to defend the less fortunate. Collingwood is not an elitist club like Carlton its back ground is working class and we should never forget that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: