Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is it in the blood?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beth Leo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to that TuPaC. My Mum's Essendon. We watched the 1990 final together but she ended up leaving the room.
One Eyed Pie Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:15 pm
Post subject: Re: Is it in the blood?Reply with quote

Beth wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Found Nick's only recently - wish I'd found it ages ago! Just wondering if anyone wanted to share their thoughts as to whether you are born a Magpies supporter or whether it is something that can happen over time - with the right influences around. How and why did you become a pies supporter?
For me personally it was 1975 and my older brother barracked for them so that was as good as reason as any for me to do so. I found out afterwards that my father and a couple of his brothers were also supporters but my mother unfortunately isn't. Growing up all my friends were for Collingwood and most of them still are.

Everyone is born a Magpie, some will see the light and take their destiny, while others are blinded by the light and turn away.
Very Happy Very Happy
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:37 pm

Beth wrote:
For those who were brainwashed. I'm working on my youngest at the moment. Unfortunately I didn't work hard enough on my other daughter. She's Richmond - didn't I have fun on July 18!

It's all in the method of parenting you use Beth.

My daughter and I had a conversation when she was 6.

Shelbs: "Mummy, if we live in Richmond, why don't we barrack for Richmond?"

Me: "You know what would happen sweetie."

Shelbs: "I know you're kidding mum. I know you'd still love me."

Me: "No Shelby, you're wrong. I couldn't love a child who barracked for Richmond."

Worked a treat! Wink
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:38 pm

Family barrack for Collingwood, so I became a Magpie supporter.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
jessa Libra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:49 pm

Born with Collingwood blood! There are pic's of me with a Collingwood bib as a new-born. Laughing

My mum must be proud, her 3 other kids have converted to Eddendon. Richmond and Kangaroos. Rolling Eyes

taff wa 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:59 pm

My Grandparents and Mum were Collingwood supporters, my Dad and oldest sister Essendon, the rest of us all Collingwood. I married an Essendon (biggest mistake of my life) (just kidding), I influenced the kids of my sister who is an Essendon supporter to barrack for Collingwood and my kids also are Collingwood supporters. Born with black and white blood.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:51 pm

Dad's side of the family were from........

..........u guessed it COLLINGWOOD.

Hence... i am a Pie.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:06 pm

Long story short!
Came to Aust (Melb) from Sri Lanka with my family as a 12 year old kid in early 1972. At school, torn between St Kilda & Collingwood due to peer pressure. Luckily last practice match at Vic park was between St Kilda and Coll. Made promise to follow the winner for life. The rest is history, Coll thrashed the Saints by heaps (for the old timers, the year Georgie Bissett came to the 'pies from Footscray!).
Best decision I have ever made in my life. Dad died in 1981 as a magpie. Now my old mother never misses watching Collingwood on TV and my brother is crazy Collingwood as well.
So now, its definitely in the blood!

Esto Collingwood Perpetua!

Lazza
willl Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:07 pm

My mum doesn't really take interest in the sport (or any sport for that matter), while her brother (my uncle) who used to live with us when I was younger was a collingwood supporter. So, that's the reason I became a collingwood support Smile

And I'm glad about that too!
Geoffy Pie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:17 pm

my father is a non- enthusiastic melbourne supporter, mum and the rest of my family are collingwood, however my uncle had the biggest influence on me and he took me to my first game and from that moment on i have only been able to see in black and white
molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:40 pm

My brother who still lives in tassie is essendon. eldest bro whos in melbourne is richmond(went to my first game with him in 2001,i think and it was vs richmond and they won and so when i met up with him after the game(as i was using my members ticket he didn't sit with me,glad he didn't actually cos the seat was terrible,the pies played bad and was around mostly tiger people.) he was all gloating and singing the tigers song.He's a real pain like that. my parents aren't really into footy,my mum watches it but dosn't have 1 team,first its sydney,then its eagles and now its the lions. She has 3 teams. My dad is carlton not that he's into footy at all. Anyway,i have no idea how or why i am collingwood,the only answer my parents can tell me is that i started wearing only black and white coloured clothing one day when i was 4 or 5 and so i guess i drifted towards the mighty black and white collingwood. I stayed true and even in the dreaded 90's i watched all the games on tv,mostly thru tears of frustration. Ok,i know the 70's etc were bad but i didn't live thru them and so only know 1 bad year and thats the 90's. I guess thats the reason my parents were willing to pay for a trip over to melbourne for the prelim final last year,they know how much i suffered Very Happy this year,i may not be so lucky but i am still coming to the finals matches.
*'94-03:10 Gr8 yrs*
*169 Games* *'02 V.C*
*2nd in '01 copeland
Madi Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:39 pm

If I wasnt a pies supporter my grandparents would never have spoken to me, My whole dad's side was pies supporters, same with my mum but somehow she ended up being a BOMBER Sad she doesnt have a team anymore thank god but she has a soft spot for the pies coz of me and my brother.
My dad and his 5 brothers were all named after pies players and if I had have been a boy I would've been called Tony after Tony Shaw!

T rustworthy
T errific

B rave
U nderestimated
R eliable
N ice
S uperstar!!!!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:42 pm

Shucks brother Greg! You ARE on the ball, aren't you dude? Smile

You are spot on, it WAS 1973. My memory is fading a bit these days!! In 1972, I attended a few odd games with school mates without actually barracking for anyone. Just due to living only a good drop kick away from the Moorabbin oval, I saw many St Kilda games!! Thank God they didn't impress me too much although a few close mates tried mighty hard to sway me. I now find that supporting & barracking for the mighty 'pies IS the greatest feeling. Always will be.

Esto Collingwood Forever.

Lazza
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:49 pm

Just to add that it's not always genetics. It's smarts.

My dad barracks for Collingwood.
His parents barrack for Carlton.

He saw the light.

THANK GOD!!!! Very Happy
STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:16 am

it is the way you are brought up my dad barracked for collingwood so it was instilled that you barrack for collingwood there is no other team.If your sibling changes team you are not doing your job right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: