Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MS BLAST VIRUS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:15 am
Post subject: MS BLAST VIRUSReply with quote

I am posting this because this is a nasty virus Twisted Evil . This does not come via email this comes in your system via ports while your on the net.

If your running Broadband and behind a router you will not have a problem.

If not I suggest one you go to the Norton web page and they have a download (detecting and removal tool) for this virus. Run that and then go to microsoft and download the appropriate patch for your operating system.

As well update your anti virus software.

If you want to remove this post it's fine with me. Cool
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The virus, also known as the Blaster Worm, only affects PCs running Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003. So if you're running Windows 98, Windows ME or any non-Microsoft operating system you won't be affected.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:57 am

Geez I did not think anyone ran that anymore. Razz

Mike is right on that.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:22 pm

Actually, I got this virus yesterday, but quickly disposed of it. The computers at uni are all infected as well.

If people want to download the patch to make sure their computer won't be or infected, goto; www.microsoft.com/security and follow the relevant links.

LINKS:

http://www.microsoft.com/security (for the patch)

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html (Symantec/Norton Website with info on the virus)/

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html (A tool that can be downloaded to delete the virus)
CP 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:04 pm

Had this virus last week and it's a real pain in the ass. It kept kicking me off the net and shutting down my computer, and there's not a bloody thing you can do about it.

Had no worries using the Symantec removal tool and the Windows patch to dispose of it.

No lasting effects.
willl Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:51 pm

Yeah, my computer was struck down by it the other day, realised after a little bit of looking around what it may have been. But never suspected it to be the bug at first, thought that it may have been some of the multimedia programs [Adobe Illustrator Try Out] I had just installed, was thinking about formatting my computer, but then remember reading on one of the tech security sites something about a windows bug and then went to re-read the article, and then downloaded the FixTool from Symantec, and it did the trick in removing it, and it installed the patch for me as well...

I was going to post an article I wrote elsewhere on here, just wasn't too sure where to post it. Smile
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:54 pm

i got it too!

nothing to serious though, i think it was basicly just a way of telling bill gates that there was a hole in port 135 in the backdoor of the new windows versions
maggie20ct Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:51 pm

yep i got it as well but im suprised at how easy it was to fix and there was nothing wrong the the computer after the patch was put on....it doesnt do n e damage at all, just annoying wen it kept shutting itself down
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:26 pm

My mum got it in her e-mail, luckily Norton Anti-Virus killed the e-mail and it was deleted. I finally upgrade my computer to XP and people are trying to crash this one aswell.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:47 pm

Yeah i got it too, as i had no idea what to do Hewlett Packard robbed me of $38 to get rid of it.

Rememeber to download the Patches you have to disable the automatic shutdown on you computer, cant rememebr how that is done.

gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:23 pm

you do that by going to START -> RUN -> then typing: shutdown /a

or CTRL,ALT,DELETE then in processes find msblast.exe, click on it then END TASK. Then go to My Computer, C Drive, WINDOWS, System, and find msblast.exe and delete then go to My Computer, C Drive, WINDOWS, Prefetch, and find the PF file with msblast in its name, and delete it as well
maggie20ct Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:26 pm

Prototype wrote:
My mum got it in her e-mail, luckily Norton Anti-Virus killed the e-mail and it was deleted.

I have norton but with it enabled i cant get into msn, internet banking and most secure websites so im always disabling it, which is how the virus got into the computer
Spose i should remember to enable it Confused Rolling Eyes

Ed from WA Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:26 pm
Post subject: me tooReply with quote

It happened to us on monday,after a few phone calls it was decided we must have a corrupted hard drive so i took it to the pc bloke and he charged me 66 bucks
he told me then it was a virus.
two days later i get an email from our server telling me how to fix it for free.
too late she cried.
annewilo 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:52 pm

Ed

As a person who lives with an Oxford geek!! in computers, I cannot believe that any legitimate computer technician could, would and should in any language charge you for this. I would be returning to the shop and demanding your money back and if not forthcoming, offer to help this chaps business along by contacting the local media in Wa and mentioning he has a special offer on!! "$66 to fix the new microsoft virus ms blast, call now on.......for this exclusive offer from.......even though its free, we will sell it to ya!!! ".
Then see how long it takes this jerk to hand back the money. Even a MSCE would not charge for this.
I know the guy has his time to see what the problem is etc, but to be honest, if he knew his stuff and kept up to date with all the media on this one, then he should have told you to go to MSN and load the patch etc.

See how you go and let us know. You poor thing.

maggie20ct Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:52 pm

annewilo i completely agree with you, but u better believe it does happen, my mums friend was telling her how she didnt know wat was wrong with her computer so not knowing anything about computers she took to to the computer shop and got charged $45 when all they really did was download the patch for her....its pretty digraceful

mum told her later that she wouldve downloaded the patch for her for $25 Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: