Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Herald Sun helps out Giesch

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:02 pm
Post subject: Herald Sun helps out GieschReply with quote

Giesch ... the Herald Sun has decided to help you out today as you are obviusly having a bit of trouble with holding the man.

Page 44: that is holding the man and a free kick to Rocca.

Page 45: that is a free kick to Bucks ... holding the man against Voss

Page 34 is not so clear cut but also hints at holding the man.

You are NOT allowed to impede a player that has not got the ball by wrapping your arms around them. It does NOT matter if the actually grab with their hands or not.

PLEASE Giesch, look at the pictures and understand... That is HOLDING THE MAN. This is the type of holding that Tarrant gets at least 5 times per game.
hoggy Pisces

Bristle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gieschen should be castrated.
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:46 pm

Good Post LR.

Is it just me or even with all the efforts of the AFL etc ... is the umpiring just getting worse?

And I'm not talking about how it has just affected Collingwood either. Right across - for all clubs. The one that springs to mind is Hawthorn at the Gabba. Well and truly robbed they were.

To me - this is the one aspect that is ruining the game.

Jen

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:46 pm

The umpiring all around has been down, and not just in the AFL, in the VFL, and in the SFL down here in Tasmania. It's time someone teaches these umpires there rules, and make them consistent, then everyone will be happy.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:25 pm

I've heard from many different areas of the media how the umpiring this year is actually the worst they have ever seen, with so many different interpretations by different umpires it's actually ruining a brilliant game.

You'd think someone would take notice Sad

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:31 pm

Yeah, but with the umpires coach denying that there is a problem, it will never be fixed. It will go on until an umpire gets thumped, or even attacked by an angry fan. I really hope it doesn't take something like that to make the AFL, and the umpires see that they need to make better decisions instead of hiding from the problem.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
MR_Philby 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:59 am

For those of you who have not read my earlier posts on Umpiring decisions I will tell you now that I am an Umpire in the SANFL here in SA.....

I agree with you guys that the umpiring standards have been lower than previous years and the Jeff has to wake up to this to fix the problem....

However I feel that the RULES COMMITEE has a part to play in this aswell. They are the ones who from year to year changes rule interpretations and everything.......

This does not however give Gieschen the easy way out he is the Umpires coach and has to uphold these changes.....

This week there were lots of dodgy calls but the one that sticks into mind was the PORT game where Camporeale failed to kick the ball after a point was scored. Now I ask Jeff how do anyone miss something that SIMPLE. There have been lots of games where Bad decisions have cost teams the win and this is what has to be stopped.....

But also in closing I would like to say that the tagging and scragging on the AFL's best players has to stop. The SANFL umpires coach has ORDERED us to crack down on it because it does not let the best players play at their peak to give the fans what they want. QUALITY FOOTY......
BigVman 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:34 am

Good point. It's not just the poor umps. It's the wankers who keep wanting to fine-tune the game to please the ******* watching on television on swilling beer in the corporate boxes.
Think back to Peter Moore/Gary Dempsey right thru to crucifying ruckmen who dare to try and win the football at the ball-up.
What was wrong with making littel pricks like wankaneen have to bounce the friggin ball every 10, not 25 like it seems to be now.
Why not lets ban people picking up the ball if they'r eon the grounbd. WFT this if football! not ******ball.
Each year there's some change or other, usually to make the game "Quicker" or prettier. Piss of these pricks who are trying to ruin our game and let the boys play football.

You know it makes sense!

ps. Having said that, mot umps seem to have NO idea about the feel of the game and what is relly worth a free v what their little rule book and uncle Jeff is teaching them. Evil or Very Mad

Offensive language (although entirely understood) removed - Joel
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:45 am

MR_Philby, can you answer a couple of questions please:

1. The Herald Sun shows Lions players with both arms wrapped around our players but they do not grab with their hands. Any grab with the hand is paid but they dont pay frees when the arms are wrapped around. Are umpires instructed that this is OK?

2. At kick ins now, the ump calls play on if you take too long. Once he calls play on, can the kicker just run off out of the goal square, or does he still have to kick to himself?
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:01 pm

Ranger, point 2 is an interesting question.

The way I understand it is that once an umpire calls a player to play on, he must do so. If he is called to play on whilst waiting to kick in from a behind, then that player would not need to kick to himself as the umpire has already told him to play on, which they do after the player has kicked to himself anyway.

Hooked
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:09 pm

The funniest rule i have heard is the time on and time off rule when a player is in the process of going for goals. According to KB if a player puts the ball on the ground time off will be blown. Thats what happens with Matthew Lloyd when he goes for goals. However Headland didnt place the ball on the ground when lining up for goal so time off was not blown. So the moral of the story is to waste time dont place the ball on the ground!!

jlc

observer 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:22 pm

The ball must be disposed of once the umpire calls play on however the player kicking in must still have his foot within the goal square or kick it to himself in the goal square otherwise it is deemed to have been brought back into play illegally and the umpire will bounce the ball.

Hope that clears it up
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:42 pm

So a player must still kick to himself even after being told to play on?

Once play on is called, wouldn't that be the overriding decision and the player could then do exactly that - play on?

Hooked
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:56 pm

Just checked the rules and observer is right ... even though play on has been called, the player must still kick from within the square. So play on really only means that the opposition can now run into the square to tackle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: