Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Stats - we rock at set plays!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:45 am
Post subject: Stats - we rock at set plays!Reply with quote

Scoring (goal or behind) from Dead Ball Situations

Scoring from Kick Ins - we're 1st with 35 scoring shots and the most goals at 22. St Kilda is the worst with 12 scoring shots and 5 goals.
* - Sydney is surprisingly (given that the SCG has the smallest playing surface) 15th with 16 scoring shots and 11 goals resulting

Scoring from Centre Bounce - we're 4th at 46 shots, 4th at kicking goals from these shots at 26. Interestingly again, the worst at creating scoring shots is Sydney with 19 and 13 goals resulting.

Scoring from Ball Ups - we're 1st with 60 shots, resulting in the most goals at 35. Worst is Fremantle with 27 shots and 16 goals resulting.
* - once again Sydney surprisingly is 15th with 29 shots for 16 goals.

Scoring from Throw Ins - We're 4th with 48 shots, scoring 30 goals which is 2nd highest. Worst is Fremantle with 24 shots and 14 goals.
pepstar 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

which means??

We need to win this week.period. Thats the only stat I wanna hear...
Bartros Scorpio

THIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:40 pm

What did Brad Hardie say acouple of days ago!!!! No one cares about Stats I second pepstar we have to win this weekend!!!!

RIP Bobby Rose Snr
Voice of Reason 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:49 pm

I think that these stats are a real indication of the type of game that the Pies are capable of playing. We have so many in and under type players that are absolute legends, that scores often result from stoppages.
Imagine if we had a dominant ruckman! We would be unstoppable
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:07 pm

er voice in case you havent been watching this year. Mr Fraser is well on his way to being a dominant ruckman. He is doing well at centre bounces against all the good opposition rucks.
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:20 pm

Josh is so good around the ground and particularly at making a loose ball on the ground stick to his hand that I think that people forget that he's actually one of the talls. Developing into one of the great ruck-rovers.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:42 pm

Of course we need a win, and of course stats can lie, but to say they are of no worth is dumb. They can be a vital indicator and any coach worth his salt knows it - not just in relation to their own side but even more so the opposition. Thanks for the post Daniel.

And yes, with Josh's development we are starting to do much better at the bounces. Dare I say the next Peter Moore? - Weed

Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:33 am

pepstar and bartros.... all these stats say is that our set plays (closed sessions at Vic Park) are working.... and I posted so that people have something to feel positive about.
M@®© Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:48 am

Stats can be misleading sometimes

http://collingwood.rules.it/

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:10 pm

Agreed stats can be misleading but they can also give some insight to how a team plays, but most importantley coaches take notice of stats, and with these stats showing that we a very good around the stopages coaches will be telling teams to minimize the stopages and this can result in extra presure on our oponents on the field to keep the ball alive, and when we play our "hard at it" game style we could and should eat them alive!
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:53 pm

We are also the most damaging side outside 50 when we fire. Has not happened like last year, but when you look at our wins this year it has played a part.

Bucks and Burns 2 goals within 30 seconds Saturday night shows you what we can do.

We had 8 outside 50's Saturday night and even though it was the Dogs thats a positive sign.

There is no defence fo goals scored outside 50.
chalky 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:46 pm

Stats show that MM has a plan - trading/ recruiting/developing a dominant "in and under" midfield has had an impact on the competition. I believe that this phase was in reaction to the fact that we had no tap ruckman and were waiting for our investment in Josh to mature. Another clue to this is MM's steadfast refusal/reluctance to trade/recruit a tap ruck type (much to the dismay of many here. lol!)
VoiceOR, if we did have a dominant tap ruckman I feel that our midfield personell would be different to the one we currently enjoy- speedy, light framed runners as opposed to Lica, Burns,Woey McG, Scoots, Bucks etc
Stats are a useful tool in quantifying those facets of the game that are measureable and coaches will act on them as part of an overall picture of the game, providing proof where necassary. A wise coach will see those things which cannot be measured - guts, determination, emotion important elements in any game.
Good positive post Daniel, I don't like bagging posts, rather my favourite posts are those that can be debated in football terms. Well done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: