Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Stab Pass, The Flat Punt, The Drop Kick and the Torp

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Benjamin Franklin
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:58 pm

Thanks for the info
I like history - puts everything on
perspective.

stab punt jim 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:21 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
great read re the invention of the stab pass.

does make you wonder, with the continued evolution of the game, is the room for more invention regarding kicking?

I remember a time playing kick to kick with a mate who was also a thai kickboxer at the time. he would stand at 90 degrees, swivel off his rear leg and strike the ball 50m at low trajectory. he told me the power came from the torsion of the hips due to his training. this bloke never played footy in his life. never been influenced by coaches telling him the 'correct' methods.

it did make me wonder, surely this kick could be used as a weapon at the highest level ie pack situation to a leading forward.
Thank you for your Comment. May I point out that the Stab Kick was not an invention of mine. The Stab Punt which like the adjustment of a Drop Kick to a Drop Punt is a stab kick into a stab punt. That I invented at the age of 15 in May 1949. Yes the stab punt not only could be used today it is being used today. Not everyone or should I say very few people seem to be able to look and see it as I can. Thank you once again for your comment. May I suggest you look at "The First Drop Punt? Recent research from a kick historian" Stab Punt Jim.
surfer1 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:27 pm

Ahh Barry Price memories
Robbie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:57 pm
Post subject: Barry Price and Peter McKennaReply with quote

Seeing Barry Price cut through the centre like a fine surgeon to provide either a stab or punt stab to another perfect lead from number 6, Peter McKenna the Prince of full forwards, gave my young body goose bumps with excitement. I still remember a tough game against St.Kilda at Moorabbin when Peter's stats. were 6 kicks, 6 marks and 6 goals, one of which was scored by a quick turn Drop Punt from over 60 yards out. My father kept telling me if I wanted to be a good footballer I needed to learn to kick just as well on both feet, and to prove his point, he would proceed to kick the same distance with either foot at Fawkner Park where we used to train.

Shortly after learning to kick a reasonable Drop Kick Dad gave me the confidence to use it as my long distance kick to position. Unfortunately I was never able to kick my Drop Kick equally as well with my left foot, and yet I could provide a longer and more accurate disposal with my right foot Drop
Kick that I was more comfortable kicking it than any other when the opportunity presented.

Regardless of my dislike for Geelong, I admired Billy Googin receiving the perfect tap from Polly Farmer so as to provide a stab pass to Doug Wade so as to kick another easy goal. Equally, the Hawthorn crash and bash coached so successfully by Kennedy fuelled my dislike of the team from Glenferrie Oval. Hawthorn's brand of football never looked as good as Geelong's and yet it was viewed as being less mistake prone and safer. My Dad died when I was 13 and my football coaches had obviously decided the Hawthorn brand was the better football regardless of its ugliness. I still imagine how graceful our game would look if footballers were able to kick a fast travelling drop kick 60 meters plus to a leading teammate, and what that would do to a press defence that has now become the norm. Is it possible there would be no need to tinker with the rules if today's footballers were able to have just two players competing in the ruck and all of our ruck/rovers and rovers were able to kick accurately to any position over 60 meters from where they received the tap or hand pass.

Of course we are now far past any opportunity to return to that game that required you to stay with your opponent even 70 meters away from the ball. The unfortunate result of reducing the kicking skills of today's players has resulted in aerobics being more important than kicking skills, and we're left with a mix of Rugby Union and marathon runners.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:07 pm

I remember Lou Richards on World of Sport used to do a backwards drop kick, bloody clever little Lou Lou.
stab punt jim 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:29 am
Post subject: Dick Lee's "A Type of Stab Punt" & Jack Dyers Reply with quote

Stab Punt Jim writing because of an error in a New Topic recorded yesterday.
The heading finishes with Jack Dyers Stab. It should finish with Jack Dyers Stab Punt. In the text Dick Lee's Drop Stab August 1922 should read August 1921. Thank you for your help. Stab Punt Jim
stab punt jim 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:38 am
Post subject: Re: Barry Price and Peter McKennaReply with quote

Robbie wrote:
Seeing Barry Price cut through the centre like a fine surgeon to provide either a stab or punt stab to another perfect lead from number 6, Peter McKenna the Prince of full forwards, gave my young body goose bumps with excitement. I still remember a tough game against St.Kilda at Moorabbin when Peter's stats. were 6 kicks, 6 marks and 6 goals, one of which was scored by a quick turn Drop Punt from over 60 yards out. My father kept telling me if I wanted to be a good footballer I needed to learn to kick just as well on both feet, and to prove his point, he would proceed to kick the same distance with either foot at Fawkner Park where we used to train.

Shortly after learning to kick a reasonable Drop Kick Dad gave me the confidence to use it as my long distance kick to position. Unfortunately I was never able to kick my Drop Kick equally as well with my left foot, and yet I could provide a longer and more accurate disposal with my right foot Drop
Kick that I was more comfortable kicking it than any other when the opportunity presented.

Regardless of my dislike for Geelong, I admired Billy Googin receiving the perfect tap from Polly Farmer so as to provide a stab pass to Doug Wade so as to kick another easy goal. Equally, the Hawthorn crash and bash coached so successfully by Kennedy fuelled my dislike of the team from Glenferrie Oval. Hawthorn's brand of football never looked as good as Geelong's and yet it was viewed as being less mistake prone and safer. My Dad died when I was 13 and my football coaches had obviously decided the Hawthorn brand was the better football regardless of its ugliness. I still imagine how graceful our game would look if footballers were able to kick a fast travelling drop kick 60 meters plus to a leading teammate, and what that would do to a press defence that has now become the norm. Is it possible there would be no need to tinker with the rules if today's footballers were able to have just two players competing in the ruck and all of our ruck/rovers and rovers were able to kick accurately to any position over 60 meters from where they received the tap or hand pass.

Of course we are now far past any opportunity to return to that game that required you to stay with your opponent even 70 meters away from the ball. The unfortunate result of reducing the kicking skills of today's players has resulted in aerobics being more important than kicking skills, and we're left with a mix of Rugby Union and marathon runners.
[search][/search

Robbie I am interested in your use of the term "Drop Stab" that sounds like my Stab Punt. Please contact Jim Johnson at johnsonjim177@gmail.com
mattys123 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:33 pm

Maybe Dustin Martin was attempting the stab pass too;

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-star-dustin-martin-pologises-for-drunken-restaurant-incident-20151207-glhfdp.html?&utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=nc&eid=socialn:twi-14omn0023-optim-nnn:nonpaid-27/06/2014-social_traffic-all-organicpost-nnn-age-o&campaign_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_twitter

Quote:
Richmond's Dustin Martin threatened to stab a fellow restaurant patron with a chopstick after she told the drunken Tiger to stop acting offensively at a Chapel St eatery on Saturday night.
The female customer, who was threatened with the chopstick called the club on Monday to complain about the drunken, threatening behaviour of the Richmond midfielder.

Surprised Laughing
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:52 pm

Every kid I have seen who tries a drop kick has been influenced by rugby league.
They drop it wrong!!!!
A proper drop kick or a stab pass is pure beauty.
T Merret, B Price were masters of the stab pass.
Terry Waters was a master of the drop kick.
I remember them all but the majority of players could not kick either style.
Hence, the overwhelming choice is the boring drop punt.
Yawnnnnnn!!!!!!

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Donny, I was there at the MCG the day in 1966 when Colin Tully drop- kicked that goal at the MCG against Richmond. Len Thompson knocked the ball out to him on the wing and Tully unloaded just about the best goal ever.
I wish it had been caught on tape somewhere. I'd love to see it again!
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:50 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Maybe Dustin Martin was attempting the stab pass too;

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-star-dustin-martin-pologises-for-drunken-restaurant-incident-20151207-glhfdp.html?&utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=nc&eid=socialn:twi-14omn0023-optim-nnn:nonpaid-27/06/2014-social_traffic-all-organicpost-nnn-age-o&campaign_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_twitter

Quote:
Richmond's Dustin Martin threatened to stab a fellow restaurant patron with a chopstick after she told the drunken Tiger to stop acting offensively at a Chapel St eatery on Saturday night.
The female customer, who was threatened with the chopstick called the club on Monday to complain about the drunken, threatening behaviour of the Richmond midfielder.

Surprised Laughing

And proving that there are still drop kicks in the game!

rand corp 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:58 pm

What killed off the stab pass and the drop kick was actually the dramatic change and evolution of food wear, which went from something large and heavy and designed to protect the toes and ankles to something thin, light and built for speed.

Kicking a stab pass was significantly easier with a hard, box toed pair of Ron Barassi boots than with the virtual sprint shoes with stops or blades they wear now.

I remember coach after coach in junior footy banning them because as soon as one kid did a drop kick in circle work, every kid was having a crack and spraying practice balls all over the park -the circle would desintergrate into a shambles haha!
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:32 am

rand corp wrote:
What killed off the stab pass and the drop kick was actually the dramatic change and evolution of food wear, which went from something large and heavy and designed to protect the toes and ankles to something thin, light and built for speed. !

Very interesting comment, I have never thought or heard of that theory.
It maybe correct. I just don't know.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:36 am

thompsoc wrote:
It is rare to see anybody these days who is capable of doing a drop kick. They all do a rugby imitation. A drop kick requires a dropping of the ball like you are bouncing the ball. I can do one!

Me too. Well, sometimes. Well, I used to be able to. Probably just take a nice divot if I tried it today.

I retired the drop kick after one golden moment at the MCG. It was after a game - you used to be able to have a kick on the ground after matches back then, which probably dates it to about 1942 - and I'd had as much beer as was good for me, and then some more beer. Can't remember who we beat. Ran out to have a kick with my mates .... well, stumbled out probably ... and for some ridiculous reason decided to try a drop kick - hard enough to get right sober, never mind half cut. And for some even stupider reason, went at it left foot. Perfect! Straight as an arrow, miles over my mates' heads it went, spinning just so all the way. Pure fluke, of course, but you take 'em any way you can get 'em.

I've had enough sense not to ever try to repeat it. Let that golden moment stand in my memory forever, with the distance covered getting ten yards further with each passing decade. If I last another 30 years it will have landed in the Yarra.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: