Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Privacy? Or Sanctuary for Sleazebags?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well everyone knows my name and what i look like so i guess im stuffed!

So when i'm lying in my bed, thoughts running through my head and i feel that love is dead...
IM LOVING BUCKLEY INSTEAD!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
annewilo 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:09 pm

I may be tired and not have read the message board properly, but surely you can trace it by their service provider.
And one thing that I have stated b4, why dont you make all users, not just message board contributers login. Most of the boards in the UK and US have this now and at least that way you will get a time, date and IP address and some sort of finger print to ban in the future. Or am I just a simpleton with my advice. (awaits the usual backlash...lol).

Anne

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:12 pm

no Anne, your not a simpleton with your advice, however, the abuse was in an email, it was not on this board, but it can be trace dwith the headers etc.
annewilo 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:16 pm

Thank you for that, I shall put my middleton hat back on...lol....well actually from what I understood, it was a forum generated email? Perhaps Mike could help out here....?
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:22 pm

Correct Proud Pies, it was an email but identities are not a problem and there has never been a suggestion that they were. We know who the individuals involved are. The reason for my original post was to inform people that this has happened and to give anyone else, who may have received similar material the opportunity to do something about it.

I said in the very post of this topic that we had secured the posts and the PMs of the perpetrator, it's a bit hard to do that if you don't know who it is.

Last edited by Mike on Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
annewilo 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:23 pm

As I said, half asleep. And what do you think of my suggestion of all having to login Mike? After also the incident with Joffa and his text being ripped by the media, it would seem apt.

We all know that you will never stop the die hard jerks that want to spoil it for anyone. But if you give one step, that is tracable with their IP addy, then all the better I say.

And re anonimity. I am in both camps. The right to privacy and freedom of speech, so that wackos who have bad motives, can not harm. But there is nothing wrong with the site owners having our details, this would be re assuring, especially to parents with kids in here. What do you all think?

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:29 pm

I'm not sure what you mean Anne. Isn't that what we do already?.

You can't do anything on this site, except view the forums, without logging in. You can't post, you can't use private messaging - can't do anything much.

Or do you mean that users have to login to even see the posts. I'm not sure what advantage that would be.
Nova Kaine Leo

Winners never quit, and quitters NEVER win.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:27 pm

With the internet sometimes people don't give their "real name" anyway, they give a false name. I have been gulity of doing so, in a Pro-Wrestling room but it wasn't to hide anything, I just felt I wouldn't give out my name to people I didn't know. I can see how some parents worry about their kids, on a games site a young girl (13-14) was asking for some older man to cyber with her. She pmed me, and I ignored her and left the server. The internet for younger people, have a bad time dealing with it, because of some older people taking advantage of them.
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:01 pm

If the matter becomes one for the police there are always ways to track back to the person responsible so nobody can "hide" anywhere if the matter is serious.

My one and only reason for supporting anonymity is to do with kids. My "alias" is a part of my real name and is what most people call me in real life - yes it's my nickname, shortened from my real name.

If everyone here was as sincere and straight down the line as Joffa and Kristin5 I'd fully support giving everyone details on names and whereabouts - kids included. We all know that not everyone has the same principles as stated by Joffa and Kristin5 Sad

If you want to know my real name, ask me. That is what PM is for. I'll be more than happy to tell you.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:37 pm

Everyone know's my real name, although not many people think it is my real name, because of my last name "Harding" I really got nothing to hide Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
paulie 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:21 pm

Using my real name is not an issue for me as I am in a line of work where i must give my name and place of work to anyone on request.My name is Paul Westoby hence the nickname of Paulie.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:44 pm

I think that Mike has hit the nail on the head - the only people who really benefit from others giving their real names are people who want to abuse them - stalkers, harassers, etc. We've all see that happen, unfortunately, so some people choose not to expose their identity - as far as I'm concerned that's their choice. There are ways of getting around systems, and if everyone said their real names, people would still be able to join with fake id's etc.

For some people, annomity is for their own safety, not to harass anyone, it's the few who abuse that system that make the problems.

- Ben
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:27 pm

Maybe the internet should have a "Background" check, for people that run chat sites, bulletin boards, etc. So then people that do stuff like this can be banned before they even get a chance to do something like this. But then again, I doubt it would be able to help, because some of them people would use a fake name or find away around it and still do it.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: