Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Top five standout players

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:28 am
Post subject: Top five standout playersReply with quote

For all those who have had enough of posts seeking to apportion blame for our form slump, I nominate the following five reasons to be cheerful:

1. Chris Tarrant. Who else? The blossoming of a rare talent into something truly special. The scary part is he still has much improvement in him. He can still be more consistent, gain strength, and kick more goals. Perhaps more important, seems to be growing into himself as a person and seems more comfortable as a result. A genuine Brownlow chance and certain All-Australian on current form.

2. Josh Fraser. (How anyone can think this guy's been disappointing is obviously watching another game on another planet.) Relishing the extra responsibility, he is in a transitional stage at the moment. By next year he'll be one of the most damaging big men in the game - another reason to think our true power years lie ahead. Unbelievable mobility and agility for a tall man.

3. Scott Burns. Probably having his best year; All-Australian a real possibility. At the peak of his career.

4. Rhyce Shaw. Many of us would have written him off before the start of the year but has seized his chance with a string of eye-catching performances. Blistering run off half-back and exceptionally creative. His game against St Kilda was perhaps the true beginning of his senior football career; against Melbourne he was the key link-man on the ground.

5. The "W" factor, ie Woewodin and Williams. Both have settled in very well and have shown they will be good solid contributors to the club. Woewodin's effort against his old club was as professional an effort as anyone could ask under the circumstances.

My biggest downer: the knee injuries to Lockyer and Davidson. The loss of "Tarks" has hurt us in ways perhaps those not in the inner sanctum of the club don't realise; Davidson is I suspect our missing link - he will be a huge addition to the lineup and it was such a shame he couldn't debut this year.

Let's get behind the boys for the second half of the year - remember it's just another step on the road to glory, not the be-all and end-all.

The Weed

Joe 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

We all hope that we can turn things around as of Saturday.

I think that Tarks missing is a great loss,he is so inspiring as a leader.

I also miss singing the "Tarko Man" chant.

Out of your five I have been most impressed by Tazza,he is definitely most improved.
I think Reece Shaw is exciting,and will only get better.
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:11 am

1. Buckley
2. Burns
3. Tarrant
4. Licuria

DAYLIGHT

5. Woewodin / Clement
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:17 am

Josh? Your kidding right? He has not played sensational for 12 games. He has peformed in 4 games. Gets pushed out of some contests to easy. I will say his last 2 weeks have been solid. Has to play 10 more solid games and now is the time.
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:28 pm

I have to agree with Daniel. With Clement behind Woewodin at this point.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:38 pm

Culprit wrote:
Josh? Your kidding right? He has not played sensational for 12 games. He has peformed in 4 games. Gets pushed out of some contests to easy. I will say his last 2 weeks have been solid. Has to play 10 more solid games and now is the time.

I didn't say he'd played 12 sensational games, Culprit. I have been impressed by his development, especially since McKee was dropped. Since then he's played with increasing confidence while taking on some of the best in the business, taking the scalps of Jeff White and Luke Darcy with him.

The key word is DEVELOPMENT. Josh is still nowhere near his peak, but he's starting to play with the confidence he had pre-osteitis pubis. That is, for me, a reason to be cheerful. And frankly, it sounds like you need reasons to be cheerful more than most.

Crikey. Doesn't anyone have anything positive to say on this board - even when we win?

Weed

drew1602 Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:06 pm

Agh...How did I know that Culprit simply would not be able to help himself....Culprit you even had two choices here...their is a very sad thread on the 5 most disappointing players and then there is this thread...you could not leave well enough alone and had ruin the very point of Weed starting this thread...to get soem postive words flowing.

What is the point of following a sporting club if you dont enjoy the wins, Culprit...win or lose you post a negative comment...why do you bother ?? Is there any point in you following a team..their dammmed if they win and dammed if they lose with you...

I bet you even complain in the middle of sex...when we all know the shortcomings woudl be yours!!

Go back to your little dark hole and leave those of us with a positive outlook on life alone !!!

drew1602 Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:09 pm

And now for my top 5

Tarrant....
Buckley
Burns
Licuria
Fraser
&
Holland for stepping up a gear....lets hope he continues to improve

tomoleary Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:49 pm

1. Bucks

It's hard to go past Bucks as the best so far...he's 2nd in "the age - player of the year" only to Gavin Wanganeen and 5th in the Herald Sun behind Voss, Wanganeen, Gardiner and Crawf. Even though we killed Melbourne without him and havn't lost when he hasn't played in the past few years, Buckley is invaluable and Voss is the only player you could argue is better.

2. Burnsy

Sometimes he might not get enough recognition for what he does but Scotty is always in for the hard ball and has been very consistent this year in doing so, I wish everyone had balls as big as his.

3. Tazza

This year he has proved himself to the football world. He's the best mark in the league contested or uncontested and has 126 for the season 18 ahead of reiwoldt on 108...he just needs a little more accuracy on that left foot of his and every team will be wishing they had a chrissy tarrant on their football team.

After Bucks, Burnsy and Tarrant 4th and 5th are hard to decide on but these are some of the names that pop up....

Andrew Williams...had anyone heard of him before this year? what a pick-up! When he's played he's all you can ask for, unfortunate about the injuries tho-. He's really taken the burden of Nicky Davis' no. 19.

Ryan Lonie. Don't know about anyone else but I love it when Ryan gets the ball, he rarely puts a foot wrong either and is the most effective at kick outs in the league. Geez and when Tarks finally comes back, i wonder who'll take em'?

Lica is certainly not playing badly, but not in Copeland trophy territory.

Woey has been a great pickup but I feel he's got another gear he can step up to, I mean he's got a brownlow and a pretty big salary package.

I didn't have much respect for Brodie at the end of last year and he's really proved me and i'm sure plenty of others wrong that he's a great player. Let's hope Anthony and Molly continue as they did against the bulldogs. Clement and Cloke are pretty hard to go by as A grade defenders when they're at their peak.
Kinky(36)Kate 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:23 pm

1. Bucks - just can't go past him!
2. Licuria - the guy doesn't know what the word stop means.
3. Burns - consistent and smooth.
4. Williams - a great pickup.

and 5th, hmmm, well there's a couple but rather than single any of the others out (and to totally cover myself!), I'm gunna put the rest of the list at 5! lol

d9 tank 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:02 pm

How on Earth could Taz not make anybodies top 4? For this year my list would look like:

1. Taz
2. Bucks
3. Burns
4. Lica
5. Fraz
Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:31 am

How on Earth could Taz not make anybodies top 4?
A good point and to ad to that how on earth could Bucks not make anyones top 4?
Bucks and Taz have clearly been our best two players this year.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:15 am

1. Tarrant and Burns - Both players crucial to our team and have been very consistent. Scott Burns is a dead set legend and is playing great football. If he had been started on the ground more often earlier in the season then he would have been number 1 imo.

They are my two stand outs for the year. Then would come Buckley

Jimmy Clement is very very underated. Can play tall or small and is very versatile in terms of playing position and cool under pressure and has good disposal.

Shaw and Holland would go in my surprise packet category as opposed to standouts.

jlc

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:52 am

1) Nathan Buckley
2) Scott Burns
3) Chris Tarrant
4) Ryan Lonie
5) Brodie Holland

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:52 am

1. Burns - he's the gun.
2. Tazza - has been in very good form
3. Bucks! - he's having a good season, and his good is every-ones else's best.
4. Fraser. - Working upto some good form, hasn't set the world on fire but is solidly working towards it. the '04 season is going to be his Biatch.
5. Clemo - All Australian form at the moment, has been a rock down back especialy when the Cloke is not playing.

Honourable mentions:
Shaw - finally decided to take his tallent seriously adn its paying off, I can't wait to see his "Best".
Brodie - good to see him working hard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: