Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

All-Australian teams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:06 pm
Post subject: All-Australian teamsReply with quote

Josh Francou's All-Australian team has been announced:

F - Nick Riewoldt - Matthew Lloyd - Phil Matera
HF - Andrew McLeod - Warren Tredrea - Chris Tarrant
C - Nick Stevens - Michael Voss - Nigel Lappin
HB - Rohan Smith - Darryl Wakelin - Ben Hart
B - Gavin Wanganeen - Stephen Paxman - Glenn Archer
R - Michael Gardiner - Robert Harvey - Chris Judd
INT - Adam Goodes - Adam Simpson - Ben Cousins - Shane Crawford.

JOSH FRANCOU: Nine newcomers in my mid-year dream team
The Advertiser 18th June 2003

NINE players who have not earned All-Australian representation have forced their way into my mid-season team of the year.

Such is the changing of the guard in AFL football that exciting young talents like West Coast's Chris Judd and Michael Gardiner, Collingwood's Chris Tarrant, St Kilda's Nick Riewoldt and Sydney's Adam Goodes - in many ways the future of the game - could not be overlooked when picking this season's elite mid-season 22.
The selection of Judd, still a baby in football terms at age 19, as first rover will create some debate but he is one of the most exciting talents I have seen.

His five-goal first half against dual reigning premier Brisbane at the Gabba on Sunday was unbelievable. Judd, who is said to be contemplating a return home to Victoria at the end of the season, possesses that rare combination of pace, poise and skill.

His talent was summed up by Lions coach Leigh Matthews who, after watching him break through his defence, said: "There are not too many players who can burst away from congestion and actually get (himself) into space by pure leg speed.

"And he used the ball well - that is a remarkable skill."

With Port Adelaide captain Matthew Primus, All-Australian ruckman in the past two years, missing much of the first half of the season through injury, Gardiner takes over the mantle as the competition's in-form ruckman.

He has been magnificent and along with team-mate Ben Cousins, who also makes my side, albeit on the interchange bench, were the two players who destroyed the Power in the opening game of the season.

Magpie Tarrant has made the jump from exciting talent to genuine superstar by leading the league in marks with 113 - 15 clear of nearest rival Riewoldt.

Riewoldt, like Judd, is one of the most exciting young players to hit the competition in years. Significantly he can play several roles - up forward, in defence and even ruck.

Goodes, one of the favourites for the Brownlow Medal, has enjoyed a career-year in the ruck and up forward. He is unlucky not to be in my starting 18 but Gardiner's tap work has been unrivalled.

Other non-All-Australians include the Eagles' small forward Phil Matera and Port trio Stephen Paxman, Darryl Wakelin and Nick Stevens.

I rate St Kilda's Stephen Milne, when he is on song, as the most dangerous small forward in the AFL but Matera has had the better year, his 39 goals leaving him second on the AFL goalkicking list.

Some might accuse me of bias in selecting five Power players in the side. But Gavin Wanganeen, the Brownlow Medal favourite who admits he is having his best-ever season, Nick Stevens and Warren Tredrea pick themselves.

And Paxman, one of the most underrated players in the competition, and Wakelin have rarely, if at all, been beaten this season. Paxman played almost the perfect defender's game on Tarrant a few weeks ago, keeping him goalless, while Wakelin eclipsed Wayne Carey in Showdown XIII.

Other prime contenders for these spots included Geelong's Matthew Scarlett and Brisbane's Justin Leppitsch, who I rate highly.

The usual suspects made the team - Adelaide's Andrew McLeod and Ben Hart, Brisbane's Michael Voss and Nigel Lappin, St Kilda's Robert Harvey, who is back to his Brownlow-winning best, Hawthorn's Shane Crawford and Essendon's Matthew Lloyd, who heads the goalkickers with 42 despite his team struggling.

Some would consider Collingwood captain Nathan Buckley a shock omission but, weighed down by injury, he has not been at his best. Other players I would liked to have got in the side include the Bulldogs' Brad Johnson, St Kilda's Lenny Hayes, Fremantle's Matthew Pavlich, Carlton's Anthony Koutoufides and Port's Shaun Burgoyne. Unfortunately 28 into 22 does not go.

For captain, I could not look past Voss. It is generally accepted among the players that he is the best player in the competition and a genuine leader of men.

What the bloody hell??? No Nath??? Ridiculous! "Weighed down by injury" my ass! He's missed one game through injury!

And Garry Lyon, who only a few weeks ago wrote a glowing article about Nath saying he was probably one of the best going around at the moment, could only find a spot for Nath on the bench in his AA side. What is wrong with these people???

Good to see Chris Tarrant getting a guernsey in both Francou's and Lyon's teams, though it doesn't count for much as they're obviously no judge of talent, leaving Nath out!!! And to choose Chrissy was a bit of a 'no-brainer'! No Scott Burns in either team either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: