Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Support

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieMel Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:34 am
Post subject: SupportReply with quote

I am going to start by saying this is not directed to any single individual and if anyone does take it personally it is because of how you view yourself. I think this season some Collingwood supporters have lost their way, they have lost the meaning of what it means to support.

Most of us have black and white blood running through our veins when we win we rejoice when we lose we all hurt. But the way this year has been approached by some is that every time we lose they proceed to spend the next week bagging the team, the coach and the tactics that's not supporting.

Some of the personal attacks on individual players have left me wondering what the hell happened to some so called supporters perhaps since last grand final day they have had some kind of unfortunate accident which had led them to only recall the finals series and not the events and expectations we had before hand.

We make it to a grand final that none of us would have ever expected this time last year ok we lost we all had that period of time where we were shattered, but we moved on we had to you can't live in the past with the what ifs. True supporters need to be there when the teams back is up against the wall, things aren't that bad yet.

While we still have a hope of playing any kind of role in the finals we need to look to that we need to all band together and SUPPORT the team not attack them. If we don't make it to the finals we still need to support them, we should stop seeing everything as though it should automatically happen because it things worked last year.

Things need to be put into perspective, before that qualifying final last year who would have rated us any chance of making a grand final ?? Just because some things that are being tried now aren't working doesn't mean they won't work just have a little patience and stop with all the attacks. Support the team don't divide the supporters....
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post Mel, but I think you might have overlooked the fact that it really is nothing new (it's not just this year). Deep down I think we all keep the faith, it's just that everyone is different and show their emotions as they see fit. I actually like the ups and downs (more ups than downs if possible), but one thing I keep in mind is that their are 16 teams trying to be No. 1, and as much as I'd like to you can't win 'em all.

Now watch someone hijack this thread.

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:53 pm

Well said Mel, and congratulations for having the courage to post your thoughts on it. there are plenty of us that feel the same.
now you watch them bag you/us for it.

10 weeks = 40 points, lets get our share of em!

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:57 pm

Quality post, Mel. United we stand !!

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:49 pm

Great post Mel - everyone's entitled to their opinions but it's inspiring reading positive supportive posts. Our season is not over - far from it - we are still in the 8 and anything can happen. Bring it on!

GO PIES!
Marg
Joe 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:56 pm

We have some work to do but overall no arguments here.
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:03 pm

I don't blatently brag, but I will criticise. The fact of the matter is, for the last 3, 4 , 5 years, we know we weren't any good, and accepted going to the footy to lose. I was satisfied the year of the wooden spoon when we got within 3 goals of teams. Suddenly, we show promise and expectations grow (we made a GF). I now won't accept a loss if the boys don't put in. 3 quarters against Sydney, 3 quarters against Hawthorn, these sort of efforts are pathetic from an AFL team with so many quality players. We lack that certain mongrel that championship teams have. We need to get angry. We don't have enough pricks in our team if you catch my drift. No one fears us.
Joe 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:26 pm

Interesting DM.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:00 pm

i share the same feelings as Daicosmagic,

It's just frustrating to know that your a quality team with a list capable of reeking havic but continually perform to a minimal standard. Im not bagging the team or players, i just get frustrated and find constuctive criticism like a lot of other supporters, it doesn't mean we like them less or are poor supporters.

After we lose to a crap side like hawthorn, i dont go home thinking " oh dont worry, i still love collingwood and we'll win next week". I got home thinking about what went wrong, how it went wrong and what we should be doing to improve next week. ITS NOT BAGGING!

Joe 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:11 pm

I dont get to critical as it is out of my control.
joffa_the_man_in_gold 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:52 am

Good post mel..excellent stuff

The rats that once agian deserted the sinking ship 10 mins into the last quarter ONCE AGAIN wouldnt know the bloody meaning of support!!!

Joffa Corfe

email.. joffa@magpies.net
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:13 pm

I think everyone is entitled to their opinions on players and in some cases you think it would be justified if you look at where we sit on the ladder. If we accept things as they are things will go along and we will end up missing the finals and it will be a failed season. A win loss record of 6-6 is a pretty average effort. Teams like Sydney, Fremantle and the Kangaroos sit above us on the lader which disappoints me. Sydney and the Kangaroos don't have a better playing list than us. They are above us as they play their guys out each week and probably have got close to the maximum out of themselves. These two teams are also coached by Rookies so its not down to some genius coaching moves or anything of that nature.

Im sure Malthouse will be asking questions of the group or more importantly looking for answers as to why things are going wrong. People voicing their opinions on Nicks is merely an extension of this ??

Even if we lost the next 1000 matches i would continue to go week in and week out and support the team. However this does not mean that i won't be critical of certain players at times when i dont think they are playing that well.

jlc

Madpies_Fan Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:23 pm

Fantastic - I'm with you.

Good, constructive criticism is OK, but when it becomes an attack on a player/s it really upsets me. I get frustrated, annoyed like everyone else too, but I couldn't do anything else, but be supportive win, loss or draw, that is just how I am.

There is nothing wrong with being upset over a loss, particulary a bad one, it is just natural, but some ppl carry on like 2 year olds not getting their own way. The reason I say this, is because of the couple of 'so called' grown men sitting next to me, that abused & attacked the players throughout the whole game. Not only that, but stood up and kicked and punched the seats. It was extremely childish, and I wondered why they bothered to go, if they cannot handle a loss. I was ashamed that they called themselves supporters.

Yes they jumped the ship early in the last quarter too.

Joe 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:00 am

We shouldnt punch the seats as we may hurt our hands.lol
This type of behaviour is inexcusable,sadly I also have had our own supporters kick the seat next to me,it is annoying and aggravating.
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:00 pm

Mel - absolutely spot on. Some so call "supporters" just not know the true meaning of the word. Hey, we are only halfway thru the year. A bit of vison and a bit of hope goes a long way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: