Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fact or Folklore ??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:30 am
Post subject: Fact or Folklore ??Reply with quote

A couple of things have always bugged me re footballers and I wanted to raise the question whether these were facts or folklore (or somewhere in between)
1. Firstly (prompted by the article re the Xavier Clarkes brother in the Hun today) , why the younger brother always is the always tipped as " going to be the best one yet" -
2. Secondly, When interviewing players wives and girlfriends, Why do they always say "I had no idea who he was when we met" - hard to imagine in a football town like Melbourne . Has anyone heard a partner say "Gee I always love X and had followed his football career closely and then was lucky enough to meet and date him.
Maybe these can be answered , perhaps a few more "folklores can be added !!
Interesting
AGE Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah nah yeah
Natalie 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:19 am

Well we've certainly exploited point 1 with the Cloke boys and they say about Xavior Clarke that his brother is quite good (saw the brother play in the Aboriginal All Stars -v Carl pre season and he was quite good for a young fella).

As for point 2 I would say that would be fact - but not for all footballers. The amount of times you hear the girl say they had no idea their boyfriend is a footballer, they don't follow footy, have no clue about footy etc, and that they are not even interested in it. Quite staggering really.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:13 pm

Natalie wrote:
As for point 2 I would say that would be fact - but not for all footballers. The amount of times you hear the girl say they had no idea their boyfriend is a footballer, they don't follow footy, have no clue about footy etc, and that they are not even interested in it. Quite staggering really.

Maybe this has something to do with the fact that so many footballers tend to date models. Cool

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:07 pm

most younger Bro's grow up with a chip on their shoulder and just have to be better than their bro, my litle bro is the same and he used to flog me at most sports, I used to square up in the backyard cricket games tho, he never liked the bouncer, and the old tennis ball wrapped in electrical tape used to leave a bewdy of a welt.

most footballers chicks are blond so................ Smile

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:38 pm
Post subject: Points' 1 & 2.Reply with quote

Number 2 sibling is better because as competition, he has older, stronger, meaner Number 1 sibling . Also he's more driven to beat the older sibling.

Don't know about Question 2 - going out with players from useless teams, maybe? Or getting together before they're famous and have a profile?
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:18 pm

didnt see the article itself but if thats raphael clarke they were talking about, we should do everything we can to get him. watch him every other week up here and he is a gun - very similar to xavier and would have gone top 10, probably top 4-5 in last years draft if he had been eligible under the age restrictions. a little lazy in the NTFL at times but i think thats just because its a little too easy for him. he and jared brennan are on a par IMO.
Ant 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:20 pm

like brennan? How tall is this raphael Carke and what position does he play?
Joe 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:43 pm

They may not know at first but when they do find out im sure that sadly some may cling on like leeches when they see those $$$$$$$$$$$$ signs.
If you dont follow footy intensely you probably wouldnt khow at least who 95% of the players were.
GO PIES
Piepark 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:31 pm
Post subject: Fact or FolkloreReply with quote

Not sure about the brothers who both make it in football, but I know my girlfriend didn't know I was a champion at Clifton Hill under 13's and East Brunswick under 16's before she met me. She only realises now after dating for 12 months how great I was, even though I am 33 and constantly reminds me it is the only reason she stays with me. That plus, I have a wopping amount of debt, little work prospects and barrack for a team called Collingwood. I guess she must see something in me. I still think she only dates me cause I was great at junior footy, call me a male cynic, but hey, we live in a superfishial society. Go Pies
doit4locks 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:33 pm

nyone remember kym russell?
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:41 pm

the_weed wrote:
Natalie wrote:

Maybe this has something to do with the fact that so many footballers tend to date models. Cool

was gonna say something similar myself.

maybe cos theyre all blonde bimbos and too busy, putting 2 inches thick of foundation and 10 inch high heels on, to pay any attention to football.
Go_The_Mighty_Magpies Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:38 am

I agree, its kind of annoying too, because their are so many girls out their who do actually care about football and know who players are
Piepark 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:42 am
Post subject: Fact or FolkloreReply with quote

Magpie Greg yes we did wear those jumpers, but the year would have been, mmmmmmmm, let me think, I still got my most improved trophey in the garage from about 1980 ish I think. And yes Ramsden St was our home ground used to get the tram down there from Fitzroy Primary after school. From memory we lost lots more games than we won. But it was a fun club. Our home ground surface made Telstra Dome look like a bowling green. It had more holes, bumps and rocks in it than Mt Everest. I don't recall any Collingwood players ever coming to visit our local club, but I do recall at Cambridge St Primary in the late Seventies, Leigh Carlson and Derek Shaw coming to visit out local primary school and taking us through a clinic. I remember staring at amazement how tall Derek Shaw was as a kid, then staring at amazement at his performance in the '79 Grand Final. I realised then, I think they must have sent him back to a primary school to learn the basics off kids, not teach us.
Natalie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:12 pm

CQ I am LMAO at that. I thought about putting something along those lines up but didn't want to get an earbashing from some so I just tried to play it safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: