Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

FINALS VENUES FOR INTERSTATE TEAMS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:01 am
Post subject: FINALS VENUES FOR INTERSTATE TEAMSReply with quote

The question has to be asked is Bob Carr a fool or does he just like to portray that image. You may recall that during the week Bob Carr has made a big fuss over the injustice to interstate teams that would occur if they were to play a "home" preliminary final in Melbourne.

Well low and behold yesterday on the radio Gerard Daffy from Centrebet (i think) rang up and made some interesting points:

In rugby league teams get a home final in the first week of finals. However the venues for the Preliminary finals are already determined pre season. Funnily enough they are all in SYDNEY. So if the Melbourne Storm earnt a home final they would be forced to play it in Sydney.

This is the latter part of the finals as from http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Sideline/9990/rulesfinalsystem.html

1st Semi Final - Sydney Football Stadium
Winner 4 v Loser 2
1st Preliminary Final - SFS
Winner 2 v Winner 2nd Semi Final
NRL GRAND FINAL Stadium Australia

Winner 1st Preliminary Final
v
Winner 2nd Preliminary Final

2nd Semi Final - Sydney Football Stadium
Winner 3 v Loser 1
2nd Preliminary Final - Stadium Australia
Winner 1 v Winner 1st Semi Final

So maybe Bob Carr should worry about the injustices in Rugby League before trying to tell the AFL how to run our game. I just hope the MCC holds firm and doesnt give in to Wayne Jackson. Just remember Wayne Jackson you were the FOOL who just recently signed the renegotiated contract so dont go crying poor now!!!

jlc

Joe 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont they all
Why dont they all
Why dont they all
GET STUFFED

GO PIES
Nova Kaine Leo

Winners never quit, and quitters NEVER win.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:21 pm

Since when did anyone other then himself, listen to Bob Carr? He is like John Howard all talk and no action. If Stupidity was illegal Howard and Carr would be dead.

The finals should only be played outside of Victoria if the top 2 teams are interstate teams. The rest should just shut up and play where they are told. As for Adelaide's supporters consistent whining over last years finals, their team finished 3rd and through AFL rules had to play at Brisbanes home, and they lost. And then lost to Collingwood, so who should be moaning? Not them obviously, what was worse is that Collingwood had to make the trip to Adelaide and play, everyone know's how crap that ground is. So Bobby Carr, get your big nose back into your own state and shut up you bloody moron.

Joe 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:43 pm

Thier supporters dont even go and watch their games.
If they did Sydney would not be in this trouble.
GO PIES
zoia Virgo

didak's number 1 fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:13 am

swans games only draw crowds when they win
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:40 am

They interstate clubs signed on knowing what was involved during the finals. Some concessions have been made. At the end of the day you take finals football out of Melbourne you may as well go back to VFL football and let the interstate clubs play each other and we have a combined VFL team that plays them a few teams a year and call it interstate football. Geez that sounds familiar.

The good thing is it has Football the talking point in each state and that is "Good for Football".
freddie foxx 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:59 pm

I reckon if an interstate team does well enough in the season, it has earnt itself a home final. However you cant move the grandfinal from the MCG because that is the home of football.

I draw an analogy with NFL. The superbowl is and has always been played at the Rose bowl stadium. Nuff Said

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:38 pm

Quote:
I draw an analogy with NFL. The superbowl is and has always been played at the Rose bowl stadium. Nuff Said

actually, the super bowl is played in a different city each year. e.g. in the last four years, it has been played in san diego, louisiana, tampa, atlanta. you might be thinking of the Rose Bowl, which is college football and is played in pasadena each new year's day.

however, I agree that the grand final should always be played at the MCG, much like the FA Cup has, until recently, always been played at Wembley stadium. the MCG is clearly the best football stadium in australia, perhaps the world, and THE home of football and cricket. the final should always be played at the best ground, and that's the MCG.

as for prelims, if there are two non-Victorian teams involved, say port and the crows, or west coast and freo, it would be ridiculous to have it at the 'G.
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:43 pm

Well if there is an Aussie and an American playing off for Wimbledon to you see us jumping up and down going "OMG we have a right to the match here because an Aussie is in it?" NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MCG = HOME OF FOOTBALL

THESE POLLIES ARE BEING ENTIRELY DISRESPECTFUL TO THE FOUNDING FATHERS OF THE GAME AND THE PLACE THAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD.

Jen

PS - It isn't our fault if no people turn up to a grand final because two skanky interstate teams are in it. It is the called 'Something the AFL should've considered when implementing a national competition' reason.

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:53 am

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The MCC won't change their minds because some premiers are going vote chasing. The MCC have large money on this and why would they give that up? They hold all the aces here because the agreement is in print.

Why would you throw away a contract worth millions? The answer is you wouldn't so all this huff and puff amounts to the same as one of us going on the loud speaker saying who should be in the final 22 for collingwood this week. The match committe wouldn't listen to it and on this matter neither will the MCC.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:46 am

A good point was made by Steve when he pointed out that Bob Carr wouldn’t know the rules of AFL if it bit him in ass, on ya Bracksy

The interstate teams can get stuffed,
To win the Grand Final you have to play at the MCG anyway soooo interstate teams need to stop having a teary Crying or Very sad
Dark Lord Capricorn

He's back...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:03 pm

As far as I'm concerned, if the Interstaters earn a Home final, then so be it.

But the Grand Final must be played at the MCG!

swooper 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:09 pm

Absolutele SHITE!! For a start, how short sighted were the AFL when they signed that contract only 18 mths ago? Did they not see this situation arising?? I mean, seriously, if you finish 1st or 2nd, fair enough, you should host a home final. All this rubbish about prelim finals etc, if my memory serves me correctly, almost half the finals last year were played interstate (im sure someone will correct me here! Confused ) Surely if you were an interstate side, you would relish the chance to play on the G rather than go to Subi or the Gabba. Afterall the GF is played at the G. As for the pollies getting involved, they should just stay out of it, they have no idea about OUR game and the passion involved, there are just johnny-come-lately's who wanna see their name in print.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:27 pm

Its funny how the AFL talks about fairness when it comes to final. I would have no problems with the interstate teams hosting finals if the follwoing occured.

1. All 16 clubs have equal salary caps.

2. Every club plays each other twice.

3. Interstate clubs not being allowed to buy home games off Victorian clubs.

That would be a truly fair competition and then you could say that everyone earnt the right to host finals etc.

jlc

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:38 pm

The AFL don't know how to be fair.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: