Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bombers Web Sham Exposed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:13 am
Post subject: Bombers Web Sham ExposedReply with quote

Head over to Buckley Surfers to read this article:

http://www.geocities.com/buckleysurfers2003/websham.html

Driver has done some investigations on the domain names that Essendon supposedly bought off Jimmy and Velvet Sledgehammer. Interesting.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, I had a read of it yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:37 pm

Great news Smile

jlc

Net_Nerd 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:19 pm

Over on TBV we went through this 6 months ago and the domains were legit

mattlloyd.com.au
jameshird.com.au

Domain Name: mattlloyd.com.au
Last Modified: 15-Nov-2002 22:30:56 UTC
Registrar ID: R00010-AR
Registrar Name: Melbourne IT

Registrant: Matthew Lloyd
Registrant ID: OTHER 000000000

Registrant ROID: C0447544-AR
Registrant Contact Name: THE MANAGER
Registrant Email: andrewn@flyingstart.com.au

Domain Name: jameshird.com.au
Last Modified: 16-Nov-2002 02:42:07 UTC
Registrar ID: R00010-AR
Registrar Name: Melbourne IT

Registrant: James Hird
Registrant ID: OTHER 000000000

Registrant ROID: C0381829-AR
Registrant Contact Name: THE MANAGER
Registrant Email: andrewn@flyingstart.com.au

They've just expired and the auDA (the government tossers that operate Australian domain names) put in place new rules last year banning individuals from owning com.au domain names and creating id.au, so Lloyd & Hird/Essendon couldn't re-register them even if they wanted after they expired

While it's always great to kick the Bummers over this stuff this 'web sham' isn't really a 'web sham'

Quote:
A search of the Australian domain name registry finds that jameshird.com.au is also an unregistered domain name. Anyone with a credit card could buy this web name right now without having to pay $50,000 as Essendon supposedly did.

Anybody with a credit card can't buy this domain under the auDA new rules only an Australian registered business with an ABN named "James Hird Pty Ltd" etc could purchase it

The 'investigative reporter' didn't investigate well enough and has his facts wrong and ends up looking like a bit of a goose
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:41 pm

That's not a new rule Net_Nerd. The rules have been changed, true, but they've actually been relaxed. A .com.au domain name must be constructed from an Australian business name or company name. The new rules also alow you to register a .com.au domain name if the name describes a product or service that your business provides. If James Hird and Matthew LLoyd had .com.au domains it only means that they must be using their own names as business/trading names - which is to be expected of an AFL footballer. They can still own those domains - that rule has not changed.

What else that has not changed is the fact that Australian domain names are not transferrable. Essendon Football Club could not have purchased those domain names from either of the players because the names can't be transferred. Australian domain names have never been transferrable.

Who's the goose?
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:52 pm

So if Essenscum can't register these Id domain names then what did they buy? Has Essenscum bought something unuseable to them? Such a big asset lost to Essenscum? Why haven't we heard them going nuts over the loss of their newly aquired assets because of the new ruling?

Simple answer is because it is a sham and always was. If it wasn't a sham then they would have done something with the domain names already and we'd be able to see what they bought.

btw, the auDA are open to be sued for loss of income generated by these non existent websites. Essenscum entered into an agreement that cost them a 6 figure sum. It would be fair argument to say that these domain names could have made them money. A change of the rules would entitle them to some form of compensation for not being able to use them.

Again, why have they not pursued these avenues? Because it's a salary cap dodge. No matter which way you look at it, logic suggests its a sham.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:02 pm

Quote:
A change of the rules would entitle them to some form of compensation for not being able to use them.

Blanch, I just finished pointing out that the rules were relaxed, not tightened.

The fact remains that Essendon Football Club could not have bought .com.au domain names from either player because Australian domain names are not transferrable - story ends.
Net_Nerd 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:03 pm

Of course it is a salary cap dodge, but the whole premise of the Buckley Surfers story was that the domains never existed in the first place (which they did) ie. goose
Net_Nerd 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:07 pm

Mike wrote:
That's not a new rule Net_Nerd. The rules have been changed, true, but they've actually been relaxed. A .com.au domain name must be constructed from an Australian business name or company name. The new rules also alow you to register a .com.au domain name if the name describes a product or service that your business provides. If James Hird and Matthew LLoyd had .com.au domains it only means that they must be using their own names as business/trading names - which is to be expected of an AFL footballer. They can still own those domains - that rule has not changed.

ELIGIBILITY AND ALLOCATION RULES FOR COM.AU

The com.au 2LD is for commercial purposes.

The following rules are to be read in conjunction with the Eligibility and Allocation Rules for All Open
2LDs, contained in Schedule A of this document.

1. To be eligible for a domain name in the com.au 2LD, registrants must be:

a) an Australian registered company; or
b) trading under a registered business name in any Australian State or Territory; or
c) an Australian partnership or sole trader;
d) a foreign company licensed to trade in Australia; or
e) an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or
f) an applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark(1); or
g) an association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory; or
h) an Australian commercial statutory body.

2. Domain names in the com.au 2LD must:

a) exactly match:
(i) the registrant's company, business, trading, association or statutory body name; or
(ii) the words comprising the registrant’s Australian Registered Trade Mark or application for an
Australian Registered Trade Mark; or
b) be an acronym or abbreviation of 2a) (i) or (ii); or
c) be otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant, because the domain name refers to.
(i) a product that the registrant manufactures or sells; or
(ii) a service that the registrant provides; or
(iii) an event that the registrant organises or sponsors; or
(iv) an activity that the registrant facilitates, teaches or trains; or
(v) a venue that the registrant operates; or
(vi) a profession that the registrant's employees practise.

These are the new guidelines

No way imho that Essendon can register a com.au for a player (manufactures, sells, service provides wouldn't wash)
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:07 pm

Actually Mike, I transferred an Australian domain name from one owner to another a couple of months back - it was a difficult task but it could be done (due to the sale of the business to another party). I needed to complete a Transfer of Ownership form and include a copy of the Sale Agreement (and of course pay a fee, I think it was $339).
Net_Nerd 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:10 pm

[quote="Mike"]
Quote:
The fact remains that Essendon Football Club could not have bought .com.au domain names from either player because Australian domain names are not transferrable - story ends.

Yes they are

http://www.auda.org.au/docs/auda-2002-27.txt
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:23 pm

If you are going to quote a document net nerd you should read it first.

The transfers allowed for in that document allow for businesses being sold or wound up or registrants dying. Hardly a normal transfer.

A domain name may be transferred only in extraordinary circumstances and then only if "the transfer does not constitute a breach of the prohibition on sale of a domain name by a registrant (auDA Published Policy 2002-24)."

So my statement above that states that a domain name is not transferrable should have said that an Australian domain name cannot be sold - little difference. The sale of a domain name is expressly prohibited by auDA and always has been. So tell me how the Essendon Football Club managed to buy the domains from the players?

auDA Policy No: 2002-24 states:

2.1 There are no proprietary rights in a domain name. A registrant does not "own" their domain name, instead they hold a licence to use the domain name for a specified period of time and subject to the licence terms and conditions.

2.2 Because the registrant does not have a proprietary right in the domain name, it is not legally possible for the registrant to "sell" the domain name. By offering to sell their domain name to another party, the registrant is in breach of the terms and conditions of their domain name licence.
Net_Nerd 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:34 pm

Mike wrote:
If you are going to quote a document net nerd you should read it first.

The transfers allowed for in that document allow for businesses being sold or wound up or registrants dying. Hardly a normal transfer.

A domain name may be transferred only if "the transfer does not constitute a breach of the prohibition on sale of a domain name by
a registrant (auDA Published Policy 2002-24)."

So my statement above that states that a domain name is not transferrable should have said that an Australian domain name cannot be sold - little difference. The sale of a domain name is expressly prohibited by auDA and always has been. So tell me how the Essendon Football Club managed to buy the domains from the players?

Death is only one point

3. CIRCUMSTANCES OF TRANSFER
3.1 A registrant may transfer their domain name licence to a proposed new registrant if:

a) (i) the domain name is used within the operations of the registrant and either the registrant or the operations are acquired by, merged into, devolved to or joined with the operations of the proposed new registrant; or

is the relevant one in this case

And from what I know of the Bummer case, they didn't actually transfer the domains to them directly and they remained owned & registered to the individuals themselves via Flying Start on the actual domain registrar but the Bummers drew up a legal document (and paid $$$$) with Lloyd & Hird agreeing not to use their domains against the club in a rival operation against their own website

Enough of this, stuff em, stuff em all Cool

I've spent an afternoon on a Magpie website arguing nerd talk, I feel all dirty now Razz
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:45 pm

lol you blue dummy, you've done it again - can't you read? What I said was (and you quoted) "businesses being sold or wound up or registrants dying".

That clause says that you may transfer the domain if the registrant or his operations have been merged into or acquired by the new owner. If the Essendon Football Club had bought the entire business of those two players the domain names wouldn't even be an issue. The fact is that the Essendon Football Club did not buy or assume the businesses of those two footballers, so that clause does not apply.

I'm glad you've had enough because you're about to be removed anyway.
Nova Kaine Leo

Winners never quit, and quitters NEVER win.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:51 pm

I'm lucky I don't know any of this Very Happy It always pays to play dumb...although sometimes it's a pain in the ass Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: