Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

University assignment on 1990

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macedonianmarvel 

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:50 pm
Post subject: University assignment on 1990Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am a new member to this forum, but I am not a new member of the mighty Collingwood army. I look forward to participating to the board whenever I can. In my first post I am writing to ask if anyone is willing to fill out a short survey I have made to help me with a research assignment I am doing on the importance of the 1990 Collingwood premiership (it’s a hard life!). Your help would be much appreciated.

The questions are as follows;

How important was the 1990 premiership to Collingwood at the time?

What is the moment that most sticks in your mind from the game?

How long did you party for afterwards?

Do you think the unparalleled jubilation that followed the win played a part Collingwood’s fall from grace over the next decade? Was there more to it?

Also if you could detail some brief details about yourself. ie. first name, age etc.

It would also be great if anyone has any contacts and could pass this on to Eddie ( Very Happy ), or any players from 1990, or Joffa, or anyone involved. But responses from your average supporter will be appreciated just as much.

Thanking you in advance,

Mark McCann (mwmc@hotmail.com)

P.S. GO PIES!!!
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A very difficult question to answer.
What would another GF loss have done?
Could we have recovered from a loss?
Given that most of the players hadnt played in a losing GF, could it be that they didnt appreciate or understood what it meant to win?
I think it gave a whole new generation of people hope for the future, it proved that it wasnt impossible for us to win.
Could you imagine what it would be like if we hadnt won it and today it would be 45 years since out last flag!! Scary!!

Being on the ground holding up the run-thru.
Standing there with my mates celebrating.

Sat night till 3am partied at the Southern Cross at the official club function.
All day sunday at Collingwood
All day monday, Tuesday at Collingwood. Recovery Wednesday, back to Collingwood thursday, Copeland trophy friday.
Detox Saturday and Sunday.

Do you think the unparalleled jubilation that followed the win played a part Collingwood’s fall from grace over the next decade? Was there more to it?
Yes I do. The pressure was off and most people, including many at the club, assumed it was the beginning of a hawthorn 83-89 type domination and premiership after premiership would just fall in our laps. History shows that you have to work even harder to win the next one.

Also if you could detail some brief details about yourself. ie. first name, age etc.
Mark Dillon
Secretary of the Collingwood Official Cheer Squad 1990
email - dillo_09@iprimus.com.au
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:36 pm

How important was the 1990 premiership to Collingwood at the time? At the time it was very important. It was nice to win.

What is the moment that most sticks in your mind from the game? Gavin Brown being knocked out.

How long did you party for afterwards? No I was 14 and being a kid took it for granted.

Do you think the unparalleled jubilation that followed the win played a part Collingwood’s fall from grace over the next decade? Was there more to it? I think everyone thought it was just going to happen instead of working hard. However 92 was a good year, we played one poor game and boom we were gone.

My name is Adam, I'm 26 and from Bendigo

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:52 pm

How important was the 1990 premiership to Collingwood at the time? Very, Collingwood were coming off some heart breaking loses in the 80s in finals and all hope of Collingwood winning another one very unlikely. Well as the Media claimed it would be anyways, but I think the team Matthews had was ready for a Premiership, they had a very good line up. And plated well most of the season. I think the part of the season that told me were had it won was the draw in the Qualifing Final against WCE. Because of the fact we faded away a bit and we still lived another week. Atleast we played better in the reply and then that proved to me that the Premiership was going to be won. Although I have to say there were moments that I thought we were going to lose it.

What is the moment that most sticks in your mind from the game? Daicos kicking that Goal in the 3rd Quarter, as I was a big fan of Peter Daicos (for many reasons, one I was a full forward myself) And the big fight that probably turned the Grand Final our way. But I doubt it.

How long did you party for afterwards? I didn't I was only 6 years old when Collingwood won the 1990 Grand Final.

Do you think the unparalleled jubilation that followed the win played a part Collingwood’s fall from grace over the next decade? Was there more to it? I think after the Grand Final were had a Premiership hang over, which has lasted a very long time. Collingwood's fall from grace, has been some poor choices of draft picks, and coach although are line up and coach now is very good. Back then we had a lot of passengers, and luckily for us they are gone.

My name is David, I am 18, and I am from Mornington, Tasmania, or Warrane, Tasmania, depends on who is telling the story.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
freddie foxx 

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:08 am

Being only 9 at the time, the whole thing seemed a bit overwhelming. However what it made me realise is how much Collingwood means to its supporters.

Essentially it is Darren Millane throwing the ball in the air, but the most emotional moment was the quarter time fight (for all the wrong reasons.) My father went absolutely troppo when he realised Gavin Brown was knocked out and he picked a fight with two harmless guys listening to the game on the radio, because he thought they went for the Dons (we realised later that they were pies supporters.)

I was in Healesville for the weekend with my family and i was really a bit too young to be partying. However i could hear partying all night, and no doubt my father had a good one.

N
ah, i mean you could make up excuses like that, but i reckon if you were honest it would come down to bad decision making, and more importantly ageing champions and lacklustre administration. i guess you could argue we had a premiership hangover in a sense the following year but that is disputable.

My name is Ell, i am 20 i was 9 in 1990, my favourite player then was Peter Daicos (still is kinda) and i am a full time uni student.

macedonianmarvel 

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:37 pm

Thanks for all the responses so far, they have been great. The club even managed to get a response from gavin brown so I am pretty pumped. If anyone else wants to answer the questions, or just talk generally about 1990 it would be much appreciated.
hoggy Pisces

Bristle

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:45 pm
Post subject: Re: University assignment on 1990Reply with quote

How important was the 1990 premiership to Collingwood at the time? I was happy but I wasn't that fussed about it considering I was 6.

What is the moment that most sticks in your mind from the game? I was writing the goalkickers on a note-pad with a green pen and after the game was over I ran up to find Mum to tell her we won. Anything from the game gets distorted in your memory because of watching the video over and over.

How long did you party for afterwards? I was 6.

Do you think the unparalleled jubilation that followed the win played a part Collingwood’s fall from grace over the next decade? Was there more to it? Nah, coincidence if you ask me

Also if you could detail some brief details about yourself. ie. first name, age etc. Michael, 19 (was 6 then), live in Eltham, first game was that season v. Footscray.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:13 pm

extremely - with the advent of a national comp and increasingly lopsided salary cap etc... they are becoming harder to win as time goes on.

Not sure at what stage of the game it was, we were leading, but Tony Shaw layed yet another inspirational tackle on the oppoisition and stopped them in their tracks. As he got back to his feet he looked at Tony Francis and Craig Kelly and pumped his fist as if to say don't let up. It was obvious at that moment that we could not lose. The players would have followed him into battle anywhere.

Drove home from the game (All the way home to deep in the eastern suburbs there were people on the side of the road waving etc..Ive never seen anything like it. ) for a quick celebratory beer with the old man then back to Vic Park for the night with my brother. Drank warm beers from the esky in the Sherrin Stand as there was no ice anywhere for miles. Went to work Monday as I was dying to see all the opposition supporters. 1990 was a relief, but the real joy was going to be in the next premiership which we all thought would follow closely.

Yes definately, by the presidents own admission the players and coach were immortalised forever and we hung onto some of the heroes from 1990 too long. That premiership was also a factor in the club appointing Shawy as coach when we should have let him go to Carlton to do an apprenticeship before giving him the top job. I remember after round 1 1991 we beat Footscray at VFL Park by 10 goals after a slow start. We walked out of the ground talking about back-to-back. The other factor was just poor old-fashioned administration but that was really nothing new to Collingwood

Damien 34 yrs old. Good luck with it

Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:58 pm

Extremely after 32 years without a premieership, with a number of runner ups.

Millane throwing the ball in the air at the end. Played the finals series with a broken thumb!

Till the next Friday

Definitely impacted 91 and maybe a little in 92. No impact on 93 (or onwards) where we finished equal top after home and away.

Daryl. 40
NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:35 pm

Last edited by NICK THE PIE MAN on Thu May 29, 2003 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:36 pm

Oh so important. We had had our hearts broken so many times in the 70's and 80's. We deserved a Premiership. We had paid our dues. We owed it to the supporters, owed it to the former players who just couldn't make it, owed it Bob Rose, Tommy Hafey etc. Everyone was craving it.

18 or 19 minute mark of the final quarter. Barwick to Banks, back to barwick. The Channel 7 commentry. "BACK TO BARWICK, DOUG BARWICK SHOOTS AND GOALS! COLLINGWOOD ARE HOME! THE PIES ARE HOME!" Still sends a shiver down my spine. The jubilation behind the goals. Everyone realising that this is real and that there was no way Essendon could come back. Smile

Unfortuantly, I was only 5 at the time so I couldn't appreciate what it meant at the time. But I realised as I got older and read about our history before the 1990 GF and watched the replay of it over and over.

Yes. There is no doubt that everyone took their foot off the gas just a tiny bit. And that tiny bit caused complacency. Our president at the time didn't help. Making claims like "Leigh Mathhews can coach Collingwood for life" etc. 1991 was a disaster. 1992 was our flag for the taking and we let it slip. Then everything fell apart from there on. Only last year did we re-emerge and by god, we almost pinched a flag. Crying or Very sad

Also if you could detail some brief details about yourself. ie. first name, age etc. Nick, 17 from the Gold Coast, QLD. Moved up from Melbourne in 1991.
NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:36 pm

Last edited by NICK THE PIE MAN on Thu May 29, 2003 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:39 pm

Last edited by NICK THE PIE MAN on Thu May 29, 2003 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:40 pm

Sorry, my computer has gone hay-wire.
Cakewalk 90 Aries

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:11 pm

I can't adequately explain how important it was. Collingwood had lost something like 8 straight Grand Finals btw 1959-1981 - 1977 was a draw after leading by 27 points at three quarter time, 1966 lost by a point, 1970 lost by 10 points after being up by plenty at half time, 1979 lost by 5 points, 1981 lost by 20 points after being up by 21 in time-on in the third quarter - an impartial observer would have to concede that Collingwood were unlucky. Leigh Matthews coached Collingwood from round 4, 1986 and in 1988 and 1989 the 'Pies lost finals in straight sets - so there was plenty of pressure. Personally I had attended almost every (Victorian-based) game from 1983 on so would have been absolutely gutted to have lost another one. Sometimes I wish I was a casual football fan, say attending 5 odd games a year instead of going to every game no matter how poorly they are playing - but then I wouldn't appreciate the 1990 Premiership nearly so much.

Peter Daicos' first goal (and Collingwood's) - on the boundary line, clean pick up and drilled it - I had great seats - Southern Stand, 40 odd metres out - could see how straight his kick was - was a goal the instant it left the boot.

Looking back now it's strange - after the game I kicked the football around with a mate in an oval near Richmond Station, then went home, had dinner, went back to Victoria Park later that night - couldn't park anywhere near it - it was unreal - like New Years Eve at five minutes to midnight - people were going off everywhere - once at Victoria Park I attempted to sit in my customary reserved seat - rear Sherrin Stand but couldn't get near - so many people! Only had one beer (I was 20 at the time) - didn't need any alcohol - I was euphoric enough. Then around midnight I went home and watched the entire match again. The next day some Essendon supporting friends came over for a kick of the football - they were good sports though. Monday went to work - embraced Collingwood co-workers. Later when I watched the replay of the Grand Final - particularly the last quarter - I cry with joy - every damn time.

Without question - but Collingwood played some great football - in patches - in 1991. 1992 was a very good season - became the first Victorian team to win all 4 interstate games - knocked off a (previously)high scoring Geelong on a sodden Waverley. Recruting was poor - didn't get Lockett, obtained big-name players who were getting on - Brad Hardie, Barry Mitchell, Dermott Brereton (he was good but only had him for 1995).

Matthew, 33.
Good luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: