Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

all Australian

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:57 am
Post subject: all AustralianReply with quote

Early days yet , but I think that Tarrant could be an All AUstralia Full forward WITHOUT being the Coleman medallist. I believe a precedent was set with Matthew Lloyd a few years ago (someone could confirm to me if this is correct) His full forward role , typified against the Saints shows us that a full forwards contribution should not only be measured in goals . A sensational game within a very very good season.
And while Im on praise Reece starting to show us some glimpses of his potential, still need to watch the ball and his opponent a little better , but the signs are good
TRELOS 

TRELOS

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 1:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Tarrant i believe will be chosen for the All AUstralian team, if he isnt there is something very very wrong. His kicked 26 goals, but more importantly he has taken the most marks in teh league. He has taken 90 marks with the closest being on 70, and Matthew Lloyd who would have been excpected to get teh AA honours only having 48 marks.
Cakewalk 

For a minute there I lost myself , I lost myself

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 1:39 pm

Tarrant at the moment will be picked at CHF in the AA Team
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:05 pm

DEFINATLY will be names All Australian CHF. He's in white hot form and seems to be just getting better and better. The critics have been silenced. My boy is a GUN! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So when i'm lying in my bed, thoughts running through my head and i feel that love is dead...
IM LOVING BUCKLEY INSTEAD!

Last edited by MissMagpie_20 on Sun May 25, 2003 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:31 pm

afisher.... I think that a FF contributions definitely SHOULD be primarily judged by the number of goals he kicks....

c tarrant isn't playing FF this year, rather a roaming forward and will probably be chosen on the HFF (if he maintains form) given that his leads sometimes stretch as far as HB.
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:43 pm

Have any CHF kicked 100 goals in a season yet?
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:39 pm

not sure - carey kicked 80 odd from CHF. not too good on footy history though. its probably been done.
afisher Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:41 pm

I have a different perspective on a few of your responses.
Firstly the position, Tarrant is selected at Full forward and often plays out of the goal square. The fact that Malthouse has given him the liberty to lead well up the ground and to create opportunity for others doesn’t then make him a CHF or a flanker. Unlike a few others he doesn’t retreat to the sanctity of the goal square following an unsuccessful lead to hope that someone else to create a chance. Rather he takes the bull by the horns and leads further which may take him to the wing or beyond. He is a full forward with multi dimensions. Chris Johnson for example often runs through the wing, but as a back pocket, that is where he is selected and gains All Australian selection.
Secondly, though kicking goals is his main job, the fact that he creates further opportunities for the other forwards I believe means that he can be judged for his total contributions to the team, and not just the bottom line.
As a matter of interest where would P.Matera be selected if AA was chosen right now (given that he co leads the goal kicking) FF or in the pocket. I would be certain that it would be the pocket.
On this basis All Australian would (given continued form) be warranted for Full forward, even if a couple of others may top him in the overall goal kicking Talley.

Last edited by afisher on Sun May 25, 2003 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:59 pm

Tarrant will be apart of the team, I reckon there should be atleast 3 Collingwood players in the All Australian side this year, at this point in time. I reckon young Lockyer should of been selected last year, but then again, Gerald Healy is still sore at Collingwood for not letting him play in '90.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:16 pm

afisher.... I just think that HFF better describes Tarrant's role, because if u probably tracked his movements throughout a game of footy ATM.... that is the area that would be the centre of his movements....

I realise he leads out of the goalsquare at times and creates other goals.... but I guess I view the FF position from a traditional perspective of marking and goaling. And that's hope the FF position will be judeged and awarded at selection time. The Coleman medalist will be given the FF position and IMO rightly so. If you were choosing an All-Australian team ATM, Tarrant is NOT going to claim the FF spot ahead of Neitz or Matera.... who play the role in it's more traditional sense. And I guess that's what my argument is about.... that the way Tarrant plays is like a roaming forward.... and that's by his own admission.... so I don't see how he would get a gig at FF ahead of the likes of Neitz, Matera, a fit Lloyd.... who have more goals on the board and play the role in a traditional sense.
d9 tank 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:35 pm

Neitz will probably be AA Full Forward. Taz will definitely be there if his form continues. Most likely on a HFF.
afisher Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:50 pm

A precedent was set in 1999 when Scott Cummings at West Coast topped the goal kicking with 95 (and failed to get any mention) , but Matthew Lloyd was named the All Australian Full forward (he had kicked 87).
My thoughts are that it should generally go to the top goal kicker , but in exceptional circumstances (and I think Taz would justify this) it could go to a player who was not on top of the list.
Lockyer24 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:58 pm

Bucks and Taz are certainties at this stage. Licca might make a late run if we build some form up.

I have a feeling Taz wouldn't give a fat rats clacker though if he made it Laughing
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:19 pm

In 99 Cummings played 2 more games than Lloyd and their averages were neck and neck 3.96 to Cummings and 3.95 to Lloyd.

Having played 2 less games Lloyd still had more marks and disposals than Cummings and kicked more goals in the finals.

Currently the 2 leading goalkickers are averaging 3.78 a game, Lloyd on 3.71 and Tarrant on 2.89.... and on that form if all were to play 22 games.... Neitz and Matera would have kicked 83 goals, Lloyd 82 and Tarrant 64.

8 goals difference with almost identical average would probably call for 'exceptional circumstances' to be considered.... but not when the differece is 19 goals and distinctively higher goals per game.
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:23 pm

Tazza will make in no doubt on current form.... just not at FF based on current circustances.

I would love to see Taz rub shoulders and play with the best in the international series. I think that could only help his development.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: