Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Football Cheats !

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chalky 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

gobbles21, Another one of my "ruckmen walk on water posts"
I've been defending our rucks where I can on this bb, trying to give a different perspective, rather than regurgitate a media myth. eg Gardiner BOG in 4 out 5 newspapers! excuse me, they must have left half way through the first Q
We are top 5 in stop play clearances in AFL, average in centre clearances, top in boundary clearances. Dominant ruckmen mean absolutely nothing if they are supported by a shit midfield (sorry if you've read this before) ask Primus, Darcy, White, King. McKee at least gets his knees dirty. Individual rucks may have superior tap stats but as a following division we fare very well indeed. IMO you seem to give too much credit to ruckmen. You may feel that they automatically get some mythical perfect tap that tears us to shreds and dooms us to loss of first possession and hence a win, no such thing. It is real hot in the contest.
"Cheaters" take a big risk as they are effectively out of the contest and with their opponent in and under dishing out. Coaches hate this.
Look elsewhere to explain loss of possession or loss on scoreboard
This is an issue to be addressed across the whole side not just a scapegoat that we all enjoy throwing tap stats at.
d9 tank 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:29 pm

If you play footy you will hear the phrase "cheating forward of the ball" a lot. Doesnt literally mean your cheating, just not going in for the hardball and getting forward of the ball hoping your teamates can win it and you get an easy possesion/goal (often unliked players).

Dids and Davis seem to to it a bit but they're in the wrong position for that. Scotty Burns is good at it and Lockyer was the best in the side. Woey and Williams both should be doing it much more often as they are good overhead, have good aerobic fitness and can finish well
chalky 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:58 pm

Quite right d9. As a coach of recent retirement. I used to like all my on ballers to contest every pack issue . Cheaters were always found out, as their direct opponent would hurt them the other way. I would tell my players to get in the pack and make them pay for playing off you - cheaters! no easy kicks against my sides, everyone is accountable. As you already stated in your post, cheaters run and hope, take a gamble with the ball in serious dispute. Against Collingwood this is a BIG gamble as we LOVE the ball in dispute. The only player that is more than likely to run forward to recieve would be Lonie but then he has excellent disposal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: