Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Football Cheats !

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:20 pm
Post subject: Football Cheats !Reply with quote

I will reiterate something I mentioned recently upon watching the Sydney game.

Why doesn't our team have any 'cheats'?

By this, I mean players who run ahead of the ball to receive past the line of the contest, particularly at stoppages.

Watch Brisbane, Adelaide, West Coast on Saturday, Sydney 2 weeks ago, Hawthorn when they beat us last year. They have players stream ahead of the play for easy goals. Yes, it pays to be defensive, but why not be offensive every now and then?

Brisbane always have 2 or 3 men on their own ahead of play from stoppages when a kick or handball is shot out of a pack (Voss knows this, that is why he just thumps the ball forward). Watch Ricciuto get easy possessions ahead of play. Paul Williams' first three possessions 2 weeks ago were from doing the same thing. All result in easy goals with little or no pressure.

I'm all for Mick Malthouse and his 'Accountable' football, but what's wrong with giving our players a licence to 'cheat' and put scoreboard pressure on opposition teams, particularly in the centre square where it is quite congested. Our players are always too close to eachother or jumping on packs in the middle. If they knew players would be ahead of the contest, they would have the confidence to kick a mongrel out of the pack.

What we lack is free-running goals. We used to be one of the most exciting teams to watch on the run. We have the players - Woewodin, Buckley, Lonie, Burns, Didak, etc. - to kick on the run, so why do we never have any space for these players to do so? Their goalkicking talents seem wasted.

C'mon boys, CHEAT!!!
hotpies 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think that's cheating daicos magic, it's just a gameplay they might use if they the team is losing by a few dozen points, or lack of general overhead marking.
grims 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:36 pm

he did say 'cheat' and then he explained what he meant by 'cheat'.
hotpies 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:38 pm

i reckon the style of that daicos magic is good, and i think mm should go back to that mabee a few times in the season, especially when were down by a few goals, or at the start of each quater, (especially the first)
TaZ_LuVs_EmIn3m Gemini

*~KeViN is GoRjOuZ~*

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:13 pm

we r a fair team and we dont need cheats to win a game.....
Interesting more Sinkers than Floaters....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
zoia Virgo

didak's number 1 fan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:26 pm

thats rite does anyone know wats happenin with brisbane with having the extra man on the field spose they get off on that too
TaZ_LuVs_EmIn3m Gemini

*~KeViN is GoRjOuZ~*

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:36 pm

of course they would they r brisbane!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
TaZ_LuVs_EmIn3m Gemini

*~KeViN is GoRjOuZ~*

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:36 pm

i would rather we win from ebing fair than from cheating!
zoia Virgo

didak's number 1 fan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:47 pm

knowing our luck if we cheated we would get busted b4 we even did it lol
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:14 am

Either many of you missed my point, or just didn't read the post.

Let me explain it a little more clearly. I have been playing football for many years now, and within football, one will often refer to a player as a 'cheat'. These players are the ones who get easy kicks (you may also call them receivers) particularly ahead of the ball.

There is no official 'cheating' or breaking of the rules, just a soft option of 'hoping' to win the ball without 'getting hurt'.
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:35 am

As Malthouse says:
Quote:
The best form of attack is defence.

We would be great playing like that but if you think logically, all those teams mentioned have dominant ruckman. We often have to rely on reading the ball out of the opposition ruckmans hands and therefore it is more of a risk to run forward ahead of play and leave an opponent behind.

If we plan to be all out attack then we would most likely get flogged. Have you counted how many clearances we have had this year compared to other teams? We are not up there at all! The way we play foot is to attack in general play, and if you watch the ball around pack contests we do "cheat", and alot of the time it does come off.

But around boundry throw-ins and ball ups we cant afford to because we are starting behind the other players as it is, with having to read the ball out of opposition ruckmans hands, but the pressure that we apply around those packs is excellent. If you watch closly alot of the quick clearences from boundry throw-ins and ball ups against us are turned over.

Gobbles.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:40 am

maggies2003 wrote:
how is that cheating?

They're off-side, of course. Wink
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:19 am

I absolutely agree Dmagic, have noticed that on and off for years. I think it should be an integral part of the gameplan rather than used every so often as someone suggested. YOu shouldln't have used the word "cheat" as they took it too literally of course - but also it's not cheating although I see how it could be if some players habitually do it off their own bat all the time to get easy kicks - esp in lower grade footy (coulnd't see players gettign away with that in the AFL these days).

Also it doesn't have a huge amount to do with ruck dominance either since as you say it's more to do with the feed out of the pack or passing into forward space than tapouts. I guess it helps with these things if you've actually played a few games. I was thinking for a while that maybe MM was groooming woey for this role but maybe not.
I've seen Burns do it sometimes but that was more creating the play and *then* running forward of the pack to receive - possibly making too hard work of it than necessary.
Lockyer24 Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:27 am

"Downhill skiing"
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:36 am

The ball can't be fed out of a pack well, if the opposition has first hands on the footy. We are starting with a disadvantage. Around general play it is a 50-50 contest, but at ruck contests we are staring at about a 40-60. We cannot feed the ball out of a pack well if we don't have 1st oppotunity to use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: