Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Teams that have surprised-Those that haven't

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:58 pm
Post subject: Teams that have surprised-Those that haven'tReply with quote

Okay guys who are they. Let's name them after seven rounds.

Above Expectations:

No doubt Sydney are my top pick.

A few weeks ago when they lost to P.A I thought they were still looking good. They played them over there, they were within striking distance for some time, similarly their effort against Freo in WA had merit. I think some people here stating they were the worst team in the AFL were a little erroneous to say the least.

Fremantle. Despite their totally disgraceful effort against Richmond, their goal scoring this year has been quite impressive. Need to see them beat a top six team over here in Melbourne before I am convinced they are ready for a finals crack.

St Kilda. Only one reason, they beat Carlton last weekend despite being challenged repeatedly. Any win over the blues earns my praise. They have at least had a go.

Below Expectations:

Where do I begin? I won't include us in this-we really only had one bad game-against the Swans when we almost snatched it anyway

Hawthorn: Expected them to show some heart against richmond. that was insipid. Didn't expect them to get any higher than sixth this year, but quite frankly, my girlfriend, and several other friends who are Dawk supporters are more frustrated than HAL when he can't find his oil can. The hawks deserve every bit of misery they get.

W. Bulldogs. Need I say more. Just repeating the name...W. Bulldogs has an air of nothingness about it. Injuries have hurt them-but they happen to every club. Last week was the lowest of the low. Fremantle, here, 13 goals. Deary me indeed Mike. They have completely rooted me in my footy tipping. They have no toughness, no skill, no depth, no money, and an incompetent President in Smorgon. Bye bye dogs in two years.

Geelong: The team from mullet land need a star. All teams do. they simply don't have one. No one is standing up. Their supporters should double anyone else's-but it is commensurate with their football ability. No heart.

Carlton: I just love reading the paper week after week where a Carlton player is stating 'we are almost there...' or 'we are getting there...'. Where? They don't know. If Fevola isn't firing, Carlton are drowning. No one help them. Please don't throw them a life jacket. Yes, they have been under water for more than three minutes without air, yes, theor faces are turning blue...but as they say...they are getting there. So be it. Come to my kitchen, I have a stirring implement with 2003 on it.

Essendon:
Unfortunately we ran into them when they were white hot. Only a matter of time though before Hird got hurt, and someone urinated on their fire. Now they just stink.

I have forgotten a few teams because it is still a bit early. in fact, some of these comments might come back and bite me on the bum. But on current performances-I think it is about right. West Coast have been quite good.

Until this Saturday afternoon.

Go Pies.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm this is a good topic mate... just interested in what your thoughts are on Richmond and Melbourne?
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:06 am
Post subject: Re: Teams that have surprised-Those that haven'tReply with quote

Yes. Sydney's playing well, but, I think that a lose is going to spark the downfall for Sydney. Richmond has surprised me as of late, but I know that is not going to last all that much longer. Brisbane look like they are almost down and out. The past few weeks, that haven't looked very convincing in their victories. Which showed on Sunday against the Swans, maybe the cockiness of the Lions will help the downward slide for the lions. Yes, it's only just one lose, but if you study their style of play against the Cats, and against Collingwood. You would see the difference from last year. I will explain my point

Brisbane/Collingwood: Brisbane were playing all over Collingwood, and should have won by atleast 60pts (no offense to any Collingwood supporter, but that was the way we looked at that point) anyways, Collingwood came back at the Lions, and if their had been something like 5-6 more minutes, I think Collingwood may have steamrolled the Lions.

Brisbane/Geelong: In the first Quarter the Cats seem to have blown the Lions away for that time. But in the second the lions came back. In the 3rd the Cats started to run away from the Lions again, the 4th Brisbane crawled over the line, brusied and battered, as the Cats fought out one very good match.

Brisbane/Sydney: Sydney looked very good most of the game, all the excuses in the world will not help the Lions explain this loss. Sure, it was the SCG but would that have mattered? Probarly not, but you have to give it to the Swans to blow away the Lions like that. But I think it was a fluke win anyways.

Here's something on Sydney aswell.

Although they beat Collingwood, if you take away the big lead Collingwood gave them, and take away some points Collingwood kicked, maybe the Swans would have been lucky to get over. But again like the Lions game (Pies/Lions that is) if there was some time left, maybe Collingwood could of won the game. Sydney look like some of the other "bottom" sides that get a run on, then a bad loss comes and they fall away for the rest of the season.

I do agree with you, however, I think that Richmond would be the one team no one would have expected to be anywhere near the Eight right now. Or at any time this season, I think Melbourne's win was also a fluke, made possible by the news that was going on during the week. Whcih "inspired" them to win the game to save their coach.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:14 am

correction SD.... the BAD game was against Essendon.... we got blown out of the ballpark!

We played better against the Swans, and they've proven they're top 8 material by knocking over Brisbane on the weekend.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:41 am

It's round 7. Quality teams know what it takes to finish top 4 and they pace themselves.

At the moment it looks like a pretty even race for the Premiership, but in a few rounds we shall see who is who. A lot of young kids catching clubs off guard, second time they play will be a different story.

Sydney look great now and have suprised knocking both last years grand finalists off. It's where and how you finish in September that matters not May.
Ian Pisces

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:51 am
Post subject: Teams that do/dont impressReply with quote

Port havent done wonders for me yet - Melbourne showed that on Sunday (Primus huge loss)
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:04 am

Francou is a huge blow for Port, Primus is another. They are still good enough to beat Carlton Razz
Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:16 pm

Richmond and Melbourne you ask?

I pretty much didn't mention them because they have had by and large even performances.

Nothing was expected of Melbourne and the resulting position they have is nothing special nor woeful. They needed the Port win or they would have been on the list.

Richmond, perhaps a tad harsh not to rate them but quite frankly I predict they will not make the eight.

The only team of substance they have come up against since us has been Port-and they failed. Yes they beat Essendon, but they are nothing to rate at the moment.

Richmond have everything to prove still. Beating, the Dogs, Fremantle, St Kilda and Hawthorn is quite frankly nothing to get excited about.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:37 pm

Essendon - Only surprise was that they beat us. Very much an over rated team living on past glories. Still too reliant on Hird Fletcher and Lloyd.

Melbourne - Thought they would be much better than they have been.

Richmond - Have surprised me with how well they have performed. Coughlan is a gun player. If he had the fortune of playing for Essendon the wraps would be much bigger as Sheedy talks up his players. Richmond have players without Ottens, Ben Holland, Duncan Kellaway, and have missed Richo for a couple games and Campbell was missing in the demolition of Essendon. They may not play brilliant football but the results are on the board. Still not sure about the coach but at least the players have HEART.

None of the interstate teams have surprsied me as at the endof the day they have a huge home ground advantage!!!!!!!

jlc

Nova Kaine Leo

Winners never quit, and quitters NEVER win.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:20 am

Melboune: Lacking alot, their win was just luck, they still didn't look any better then they have been playing. I guess a win's a win, but if the Port "revival" (although short) if it was the 3rd Quarter I think Melbourne could have lost the game.

Sydney: A wim here, a lose there, still nothing to expect at the end of the season. Sure maybe a top eight spot (around 8th) would be all Sydney may get.

West Coast: Still to early to pass judgment on them, the up coming Collingwood game will tell us how West Coast may turn out.

Carlton: Are no where near good enough to win enough games to make the finals. Which no one expects, no even a Carlton Football player. Carlton will stay in the bottom eight, they may even jump a spot next season. But they are down and out for awhile yet.

Geelong: Playing good football, but still aren't playing well enough to win a game. They took it to the lions, but came up short, they came up short against the Eagles (Umpires help? Maybe not) What's the Cats problem? They don't play 4 Quarters, they won't win another game, until they learn that they need to play consistent football. I think it will be tough for them to make it to the Finals this year, unless there is a miracle in the next few weeks.

Brisbane: Still top, but I think that look down, compared to last year's effot's. Maybe they've got the "Premiership Hang Over" now, the last few weeks have shown that. Western Bulldogs looked good against them, but lost. Geelong looked good against them lost. Sydney looked very good against them and won. Or it could be, Brisbane is expecting to win every week and can't be bothered actually fighting the games out until the othe team decides to fight back and almost beat them.

Nova Kaine Leo

Winners never quit, and quitters NEVER win.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:21 am

Melboune: Lacking alot, their win was just luck, they still didn't look any better then they have been playing. I guess a win's a win, but if the Port "revival" (although short) if it was the 3rd Quarter I think Melbourne could have lost the game.

Sydney: A wim here, a lose there, still nothing to expect at the end of the season. Sure maybe a top eight spot (around 8th) would be all Sydney may get.

West Coast: Still to early to pass judgment on them, the up coming Collingwood game will tell us how West Coast may turn out.

Carlton: Are no where near good enough to win enough games to make the finals. Which no one expects, no even a Carlton Football player. Carlton will stay in the bottom eight, they may even jump a spot next season. But they are down and out for awhile yet.

Geelong: Playing good football, but still aren't playing well enough to win a game. They took it to the lions, but came up short, they came up short against the Eagles (Umpires help? Maybe not) What's the Cats problem? They don't play 4 Quarters, they won't win another game, until they learn that they need to play consistent football. I think it will be tough for them to make it to the Finals this year, unless there is a miracle in the next few weeks.

Brisbane: Still top, but I think that look down, compared to last year's effot's. Maybe they've got the "Premiership Hang Over" now, the last few weeks have shown that. Western Bulldogs looked good against them, but lost. Geelong looked good against them lost. Sydney looked very good against them and won. Or it could be, Brisbane is expecting to win every week and can't be bothered actually fighting the games out until the othe team decides to fight back and almost beat them.

hermie Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:10 am

richmond have played 3 teams that finished in the finals last year and only beaten one of them.essendon were a chance to lose because i don't think any team has won after playing at subiaco the week before.tigers have been lucky;tigers are shite
morgues 

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:52 am
Post subject: Re: Teams that have surprised-Those that haven'tReply with quote

Special Delivery wrote:

Essendon:
Unfortunately we ran into them when they were white hot. Only a matter of time though before Hird got hurt, and someone urinated on their fire. Now they just stink.

i dont think they were white hot, i just think the pies were completely out of form and played FAR below our normal form

was a sad day, being there, sitting thru the whole thing, i was shell-shocked. but then the bombers got beatan the week after didnt they? kind of made me feel that they werent THAT good against us, it was a combination of us being well below our real form and them being able to lift their form up a gear.

and i agree, they are too reliant on hird/fletch/loyd to fire so they win games.
magpiefanatic 

Aged Pensioner

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:54 am

ABOVE EXPECTATIONS

Sydney...I went in a time capsule comp at seasons beginning, they were my tip for the Spoon. Considering their win over Brisbane, it takes some pain out of our loss to them.

BELOW EXPECTATION

Geelong....Again in the time capsule comp I tipped them to be the seasons biggest improver on 2002. Have taken it up to a few teams including Collingwood, Brisbane and West Coast in Perth last week, but just cannot seem to be able to crack it.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:06 pm

magpiefanatic wrote:
ABOVE EXPECTATIONS

Sydney...I went in a time capsule comp at seasons beginning, they were my tip for the Spoon. Considering their win over Brisbane, it takes some pain out of our loss to them.

BELOW EXPECTATION

Geelong....Again in the time capsule comp I tipped them to be the seasons biggest improver on 2002. Have taken it up to a few teams including Collingwood, Brisbane and West Coast in Perth last week, but just cannot seem to be able to crack it.

I think Geelong need to take a long hard look at their games, they come out and play for half the game, and then they seem to go home. Going to hurt them for the rest of the year. and the futurue.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: