Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Steve McKee

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve was simply stunning. That's why he is named what he is named.
NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 6:21 pm

Even if we snared say Luke Darcy or some great tap-out ruckman, I would still want Stunning in the side. Great to have as the loose man in defence or just generally around the ground. I have always thought that he is a genuine midfielder in a ruckman's body! Laughing
natkingcole 

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 6:26 pm
Post subject: StunningReply with quote

You can say what you like about him but the reality is you can't afford to carry Ruckmen who are going to give away taps like Stunning did in the first quarter. OK, so Stunning redeemed himself later, but until we get a genuine ruckman who competes 100% of the time we can kiss goodbye any thought of winning premierships.
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:44 am

Culprit.... as good as McKee is around the ground.... to quote a fellow board member....

Damien wrote:
makes you wonder how much improvement could occur if we could win more tapouts....

and on MM's comment about almost being time to try a cardboard ruckman - if he's so aware of our grim situation in hitouts.... why not give the kids (Richards / Cloke / Crowe) a chance?

not at McKee's expense, but coming on for a quarter or more off the bench.... surely that's not going to hurt anyone and will free Fraser and Rocca up to play forward.
grims 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:41 am

Collingwood don't need a tap ruckman, collingwood is one of the best team for clearances. Not because we get a lot of taps but because our midfield players read the ball better. We'll get murdered in the ruck this week agaisnt the eagles but doesn't mean they'll dominate centre clearances.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:21 am

Unfortunately with the salary cap and draft pick system you just cannot go out and get one (A good tap ruckman). McKee gets killed in tap outs against the quality ruckman, but nothings changed from last year. His around the ground play makes up for it. He has to do it's as simple as that as there is no one else in our list at this stage is mature and strong enough to be the #1 Ruck.

Look at the good news, Primus is out for a minimum of three weeks.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:42 am

Nobody 'doesn't' need a good tap ruckman no matter how good the midfielders are......

Luke Darcy is out of contract at the end of the year and we will have room under our salary cap according to the Herald Sun. Forget Nathan Brown, we don't need him but Luke Darcy would be very handy.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:49 am

I like Luke, somehow I can't seeing us getting him unless they wish to take kinnear for him..lol

Bulldogs would want a lot for him or we would have to trade for a first pick.

Rumour I have is we are after Judd and that's our Priority as they are looking at life after Bucks.

Judd is on record saying he wants to come home and Worsefold is on record saying if he wants to go home that's his choice and we will not stop him.

Williams for Adkins, Judd for ????
Trippy Pie Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:54 am

As ruckmen go I am afraid Stunning is not quite up ther with the better ruckmen of the competition.
Yes his aroud the ground work is fantastic, he is constantly at the fall of the ball when he has to, he is always blocking the hole in the opposition forward line and will always give his absolute all for the club but is he ment to be aruckman or another ruckover come tall backman.

Does anybody remember a player by the name of Damien Monkhorst>
Would the 1990 premiership been won with him as it was, or a ruckman of the style of Steve.

I am agreat fan of his but we really need to start giving the younger rucks a chance to prove themselves.

Yes we are doing very well at sharking the other rucks tap outs but what happens when the opposition works out a plan to counter our ability to exploit this skill the boys have almost perfected.

Last edited by Trippy Pie on Tue May 13, 2003 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:58 am

Monky has 4 boys (Father and son rule) Smile

McKee is great around the ground. Reads the play well makes an option up forward and positions himself down the backline well. Great reader of play and has been coached real well on rucking. I am not sure if it's still Peter Moore who is ruck coach though.
chalky 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:31 am

Tap ruckman would be handy, no doubt. But I will re iterate what I have been posting every time this debate comes up. I do not subscribe to the Walls school of thought - that the ruckman is the most important player on the team. MM had his pick pre season of any ruck going around, he chose Woewodin/Williams. What does this mean? That the advantages of having a flexible, dominant midfield far outweigh the advantages of having a one dimentional player, limited to stop play situations and unable to assist around the ground. If ruckmen are so vital to team success and the ultimate prize, why did we beat Port (Primus), Crows (Clarke), Cats (King) etc. The list goes on. Hawks got Spider, Where are they? Hyperthetical : Choose between - Nick Stevens, Judd, Brogan. All rumoured to be looking for opportunities elsewhere. Choice is obvious, NOT Brogan. The kids will get their chance if they are good enough and fit into MM game plan - running the best, classiest, rampaging midfield in the AFL. That is what will win Premierships. Not tap ruckmen
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:33 am

Great post Chalky and your points are spot on.
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:44 am

I'm also with you chalky.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:58 am

Stunna is a great ruckman!!
It's funny how people say we should get a quality ruckman like they grow on trees or something, fact is they don't. like chalky said "MM had his pick pre season of any ruck going around, he chose Woewodin/Williams."
Give me a average ruckman with guts and who'll work his guts out all day, oh hang on we have one.

drew1602 Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:14 pm
Post subject: Re: StunningReply with quote

natkingcole wrote:
You can say what you like about him but the reality is you can't afford to carry Ruckmen who are going to give away taps like Stunning did in the first quarter. OK, so Stunning redeemed himself later, but until we get a genuine ruckman who competes 100% of the time we can kiss goodbye any thought of winning premierships.

How the hell can you say we are carrying Mckee...The reality is that Steve has been carrying the very heavy load of the ruck division almost completely on his own, and should be comended for his efforts not condemmed...

And to say he doesnt compete 100% of the time is a slur on his good name. He may not win every contest...but NO-ONE can question his committment or competitivenes in every single contest he works his but off to get too Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: