Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Steve McKee

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:25 am
Post subject: Steve McKeeReply with quote

While everyone talks about how good Woey was (and so they should), Bucks played a true Captains game and Brodie has stepped into the void left by Locks. They all played great as far as I am concerned and it was truly a team effort for 4 quarters.

I want to point out my observation of Stunning. I was made to eat humble pie last year and to many that get stuck into this guy. His effort in the second half goes a long way to why we won. He was getting killed in the tap outs, but his around the ground play was sensational. He does all the little things as a footballer you have to do when you play hard. He is no1 in hardball gets this year as well.

He just pushes, taps, blocks and does a lot off the ball that not many see. He had only 8 possessions and I have always stated stats mean nothing in the context of any game. It’s what you do when you’re out there.

Top stuff Steve, keep it going.

Oh and to those who say my posts are always negative open the other eye. I say it as I see it. Razz
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

No one would doubt that he has a heart as big as Pharlap. I too have defended him vigorously in the past but watching the way that Spider Everitt and others give their on-ballers first use of the ball makes you wonder how much improvement could occur if we could win more tapouts.
AGE Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:36 am

I been on my own McKee bandwagon since last year. Obviously we get killed in the ruck week in, week out, but it's his play around the ground. I agree with you Culprit, it's the blocks, taps, marks etc etc around the ground that makes him a key player and doesn't get the recognition. Under-rated player who does the hard stuff.
drew1602 Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:08 pm

The Mckee factor can not be undersestimated...If Josh or Cameron Cloke can develop into tap ruckman soon...we will have a very formadable ruk divison...Mckee must be rated as one of teh better around the ground ruckman....

He was instumental in two goals during the third qtr...getting teh hardball, going in with second effort....

Go You Mckee Factor !!!!

Anjela04 Pisces

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:29 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Well said Culprit!

I agree, Bucks is all class and the game was superb. Full credit to all the boys for a magnificent game. COLLINGWOOD IS COMING!

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:42 pm

This week we run into the best ruckman in the league on form. Gardiner has flogged everyone he's played on, although King did ok against him.

MM take note:
1. Forget cousins, he'll get 30 possessions and have no impact.
2. The main stop must be CHAD FLETCHER. This guy is in awesome form and is their in form midfielder. Most of you probably don't see much of the eagles but fletch is close to a brownlow right now. Remember this, after 7 rounds fletcher will be top3 in the brownlow count. If we can close down Gardiner and Fletcher we will win easily.
3. Phil Matera needs to be met by jarrod molloy. Just a nice shoulder to the rib cage should do the job.

Stunner is the man to nullify gardiner i reckon. Go Stunner!

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:53 pm

I have great admiration for McKee as well. Last year I was quite happy to eat humble pie after thinking that he wasn't too flash.

The guy gets smashed in the hit outs which must be frustrating for the big fella, but he backs back into packs and takes marks, drifts forward and kicks the odd goal. His second and third efforts are brilliant.

Unlike other ruckman he's prepared to get the ball below his knees and dive onto the footy if need be and his decision making under pressure is excellent.

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:02 pm

I actually agree with you for once Culprit.
I wanted to start this thread myself but you beat me to it.

Stunning played in the ruck for the whole game and did a bloody good job.

He must have been exhausted from the effort but gave it everything as did Bucks, Woey, Licca, Bursy........I could go on.

Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:38 pm

Steve McKee is very good at ground level and around the ground.

We still however need to develop a quality tap ruckman. And I don't think we should be looking at Fraser. Playing him in the ruck accentuates Josh's main weakness - strength. And unfortunately I can't see this attribute improving greatly thru Josh's career as he just seems to have the type of body that will struggle to widen.

So why not work on what Josh has - agility, reading of play, good decision making, contesting at ground level and kicking at goal?
I think he's losing a fair amount of confidence by being asked to play in a role that he's physically not suited to.

Bring on Cloke.... and let's try Richards.... Cloke is a big lump of a boy and who is doing quite well for Williamstown and Richards.... well it's about time the coaches at least tried him.
chalky 

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:40 pm

Finally the awakening!
Can we put the tap out stat to rest once and for all.
Stunning has been doing the same job every week. Because of our loses we tend to lose the plot bit. This is what we have and MM works with it. Just imagine team balance without him.
You all saw it. He flogged his guts in the ruck contests, losing just about every tap. It was what he did immediately after that was so stirring. He'd follow up every loose ball that hit the ground, either blocking, shepherding or in and under. For the entire game he battled against a tag team and even toward the end, the last 5 mins, he was still fighting, wrestling, pushing and winning some crucial contests.

Drew, you have a point, but let's keep that debate for later in the year. We have McKee now. Sure, he'll get beaten in the stats every week. But that will be the only measure by which he will be beaten!
Truely inspiring to watch. Up there with Lica vs port. Woey wasn't too bad either along with Holland. What a revelation! lol
Congrats to those who made the trip and made the noise. cheers
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:59 pm

Blanch wrote:

1. Forget cousins, he'll get 30 possessions and have no impact.
!

Actually, in regards to Cousins, apparently he is carrying an injury.
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:55 pm

Cousins is carrying a big corky from last week and shouldn't have played against geelong. He'll be right this week though. Just trust me on fletcher - he has burned for them.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:39 pm

As long as our midfield dominates the centre take aways you can afford to lose the tap outs. We can only play who we have and McKee is doing everything he can possibly do.

He has great hands and is very deceptive on how fast he actually moves. You think he is slow, but he gets the ball moving very quickly.
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:43 pm

27 hit outs to Collingwood[ mckee 16 and rocca 6 I think] with 60 hit outs to Adelaide.
But clearances....Collingwood 42 and crows 49.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:08 pm

If you break those stats into 2 halfs you will see we were on top ofclearances in the second half.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: