Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What year will a Melbourne based club win a Premiership ??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:29 pm
Post subject: What year will a Melbourne based club win a Premiership ??Reply with quote

If you look at the ladder interstate teams are dominating. Only Fremantle is outside the Top 8. I don't fancy any club winning a final in Perth or in Brisbane. The only saving grace is the contract with the MCC stating that one final has to be played in Melbourne each year. Wayne Jackson did his best to remove this contract in his tenure. Thankfully he failed. If this contract gets removed i doubt whether a Melbourne based club will win a premiership for ages. The home ground advantage is getting ever wider in football.

Although the AFL im sure has one mission left to achieve and thats a Premiership to be delivered to Sydney. That way every competing state will have won a premiership.

How many Melbourne based clubs have won Interstate this year ??

Anyway back to my question......my guess is 2006.....lol

jlc

zoia Virgo

didak's number 1 fan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is 2003 the pies
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:10 pm
Post subject: Re: What year will a Melbourne based club win a PremiershipReply with quote

JLC wrote:
If you look at the ladder interstate teams are dominating. Only Fremantle is outside the Top 8. I don't fancy any club winning a final in Perth or in Brisbane. The only saving grace is the contract with the MCC stating that one final has to be played in Melbourne each year. Wayne Jackson did his best to remove this contract in his tenure. Thankfully he failed. If this contract gets removed i doubt whether a Melbourne based club will win a premiership for ages. The home ground advantage is getting ever wider in football.

Although the AFL im sure has one mission left to achieve and thats a Premiership to be delivered to Sydney. That way every competing state will have won a premiership.

How many Melbourne based clubs have won Interstate this year ??

Anyway back to my question......my guess is 2006.....lol

jlc

Before I answer, I will just make a few comments, I hope no one is offended by that.

1) Moving the AFL Grand Final from Melbourne will hurt the AFL in the long run. It should always be played at the AFL home Ground, even though there are teams that enjoy playing there, in a final it's no considered a home game well I don't consider it a home game anyways.

2) Once the Regular seaason ends, every team turns equal, look what happened to Port Adelaide last year. They had a home final and they lost it. Just because Brisbane is strong in this years Premiership season, doesn't mean they will win a finals game although we know they will I am just saying that may not which doesn't mean I believe that they won't.

3)The reason moving the Grand Final from Melbourne would be the fact, that it say a Melbourne team was in at against Brisbane in Brisbane it wouldn't be fair. And then moving it again, there isn't another Ground with the amount of seats that the Ground Final would get, which means the AFL will lose money on it. So which ground could hold atleast 100,000 AFL fans? Surly not Telstra Dome, not the 'Gabba, not AAMI Stadium, and not Telstra Stadium. Although Telstra Stadium would hold almost the same amount of fans.

So in answering your question, I would have to say, there isn't really a clear answer. Because right now their may not be a Melbourne team in the top or whatever. But that can and will change through the season, I can't see West Coast playing well in Melbourne for the rest of the year.

I am going to take a chance and say 2003 I still reckon Collingwood can win the 2003 Grand Final, but they need to work really hard to win it.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:11 pm

Ok we shall wait and see. I can only see the Interstate domination growing stronger. Even if we do become a power we will be constrained and forced to give up players just like Essendon had to do.

jlc

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:17 pm

JLC wrote:
Ok we shall wait and see. I can only see the Interstate domination growing stronger. Even if we do become a power we will be constrained and forced to give up players just like Essendon had to do.

jlc

Sad, but true, the AFL doesn't practice what it preaches, they are handing all this money to Brisbane to Devolp AFL in Queensland yet, all they are doing is buying players...Am I the only one that thinks the AFL should be helping say the Bulldogs? or even Geelong? or maybe a team that is in trouble of going out of business? The AFL preaches they want 16 AFL teams, yet they aren't helping to keep 16 AFL clubs....

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:18 pm

this year a melbourne team will win it, Collingwood.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:22 pm

Exactly they are letting the Bulldogs and Kangaroos die while continuing to pour money into interstate teams. If they REALLY wanted to help Brisbane take the $600,000 salary cap money and put it into developing footy in QLD and maybe they can develop their own players and not rely on supposed extra money to keep players.

jlc

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:26 pm

Let's wait and see what they do.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:33 pm

I agree with that, I've been saying that for awhile, not here though, it's a fact that Brisbane should of been helped up until they started to find their feet. Now they need to cut the rope and let some other team get a life line. They need to take the money away from Brisbane and then give it to Football Queensland (or whatever Queenlands football thing is called) and then Queensland will then be able to be a Rugby, Cricket and AFL state. I believe in equal rights with the AFL teams, if one team cannot survive on their own, give them a little help. Sure Collingwood had to do it alone, but Collingwood had the supporters, and the stuff to do it.

It happened to Fitzroy, do we want it to happen again? Of course not, so the AFL will have to try and stop it from happening. It's sad that some AFL teams are unable to get their finaces in check.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:27 pm

thank god waynes out soon! Smile
Bones 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:54 pm

Some people here would like to see the Kangaroos and Doggies dissappear off the face of the earth. For the time being they should be helped as much as possible.
Interesting tho that the Lions have a bigger membership than the Broncos.
Qld has a very strong AFL following, mainly because of the Victorian migration.
I'm afraid to admit that Brisbane could very well win the next 2 or 3 premierships.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: