Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Scott Burns

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter_pies4ever 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:05 pm
Post subject: Scott BurnsReply with quote

I don't understand why Malthouse continually starts the guy on the bench. He is one of our best players yet most weeks he doesn't start on the ground. Why is this so?
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Peter. Let's see him on for 4 quarters against the Swans.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
lethalburns Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:36 am

Not sure.. I can only assume its something to do with match ups.. Or perhaps slight injury niggle...

Josh and Burns are probably getting close to starting you would assume?
Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:23 pm

Frazer has to start in the ruck. I know that McKee has had a reasonably good year to date, but it is shitting me to tears that he never trys to win the tap out, his 1st option is to negate the other ruckman. This is because he can't jump, but come on at least look like your trying to win a tap out, he has been giving away some crucial free kicks in the middle for a while now because of this....

And yeah, Burnsy should start as well...

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:08 pm

yes i was just about to start a new topic saying how good is burns!

time and time again, our players are panicking and were all tense in our seats watching the game, i reckon that we can relax a bit wen burnsey has the ball cos he has a cool head and consistently makes the best decision in high pressure play.
Whitey Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:22 pm

Hi. it's puzzling. are we sure he's not injured or something? Although he doesn't look at all injured when he comes on.
hotpie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:29 pm

Burns should start on the ground for sure. In my opinion Scotty, Bucks and Licca are definately our best 3 midfielders and need to spend the majority of matchtime on the ground, which isn't happening at the moment. I think that currently there is a bit too much midfield rotation going on and i think this doesn't allow the players a chance to get any rythym into their game if they are on less for 10 mins.
As for Fraser, I honestly believe that he is too smart to be a ruckman and is more suited to a full/half foward position on the ground. By putting him there we could draw the oppisitions tallest defender. Some teams would then not have a tall enough backline to cover the likes of Fraser, Molloy, Rocca and Tarrant. What do the rest of you think?
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:37 pm

i dont think fraser is suited to the ruck. play him anywhere but there.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:44 pm

ive been asking myself that same question for a while, and i think josh was actually pretty good in the ruck at one stage.
TRELOS 

TRELOS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:27 pm

i dont understand either y Burnsy isnt started on field...his one of our best if not our best in and under player...his just fearless and constantly puts his body and the line to get the ball...and 9/10 times he comes out wif it
AbsoluteTallant 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:17 am

Why doesn't MM start Burns on the ground, why not start Fraser in the ruck or the forward line?

Well it's simply because:

MM has lost the plot

- Cloke in the forward line?
- Playing McGough as a half forward?
- PLaying McGough at all in front of Holland and Scotland?
- McGough at full back (v Carlton on Hickmott)?
- Lonie on and off the bench?
- Leon towelled by media and supporters when he can't get even half a game because MM is playing him on the bench!
- Calling mistakes 'lack of dicipline and concentration' instead of admitting some of our players are not up to it?

Hotpie I have to disagree about Licuria. You can only go so far with sub standard skills and athleticism.

I think the footy community has merged the term 'midfielder' and 'onballer' together.

An onballer to me is largely a player that has one unique skill - the ability to clear the ball from within very close spaces.

A midfielder is someone (to me) who largely receives and delivers the ball but rarely gets it himself.

Unfortunately onballers now also have to be midfielders because the game is so much about maintaining possession and delivering the ball in the best possible manner.

Paul Licuria should be very highly admired for what he has got out of himself in football terms but it simply isn't enough when competing against the likes of Brisbane.

In this era which is personified by McLeod's absolute robust aerobic ability to get the ball and move with it, then deliver it, Licca is just not up to it.

My hope was that Woewodin could take Licca's role and send Licca back to defense where we might be able to hide his inability to deliver the ball but it seems that Woewodin's onballer ability is not up to scratch and hence MM has largely been playing him off a wing - a position that any number of our players could be filling.

Last edited by AbsoluteTallant on Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:29 am

AbsoluteTallant wrote:
Why doesn't MM start Burns on the ground, why not start Fraser in the ruck or the forward line?

Well it's simply because:

MM has lost the plot

- Cloke in the forward line?
- Playing McGough as a half forward?
- PLaying McGough at all in front of Holland and Scotland?
- McGough at full back (v Carlton on Hickmott)?
- Lonie on and off the bench?
- Leon towelled by media and supporters when he can't get even half a game because MM is playing him on the bench!
- Calling mistakes 'lack of dicipline and concentration' instead of admitting some of our players are not up to it?

lol that is one fkn funny post!!!! Laughing Very Happy
AbsoluteTallant 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:37 am

Hi CQ

Glad you got a laugh out of my post. My heart is not laughing atm though
Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:43 am

Stuff all this talk about finding a place to store phar-lap's heart.

Where on earth are they going to find a place big enough to store Scotty's when he eventually keels over.
AbsoluteTallant 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:49 am

Ev5Magpies wrote:
Frazer has to start in the ruck. I know that McKee has had a reasonably good year to date, but it is shitting me to tears that he never trys to win the tap out, his 1st option is to negate the other ruckman. This is because he can't jump, but come on at least look like your trying to win a tap out, he has been giving away some crucial free kicks in the middle for a while now because of this....

And yeah, Burnsy should start as well...

Great post Ev. McKee tries valiantly around the ground and does some good things for such a slow-looking (and moving sometimes) player, but his ruckwork seems to have gone as far as it can.

In the last quarter v Geelong I would struggle to split Fraser and Burns as the players who won it for us. Sure Roc and Taz played well up forward but we were getting caned all day out of the middle against Geelong until the last quarter when those two took over.

For me it was also clearly Fraser in the latter part of the second quarter on Friday who got us back into it. He clearly won plenty of taps against the experienced Alessio and not only that but many of them went straight to our blokes like Frase was shelling peas.

However come third quarter and what does MM do? Frickin puts Frase down the forward line. This move paid some divedends but sheez, how about giving Frase his chance to develop in the ruck when he's got some form going? We've thrown him in there plenty of times without any form and his confidence got shattered ("I thought they'd drop me" Prelim 2002) because of it.

Having said that anybody who cries about Fraser not being what we many thought he would be - a top notch ruckman - etc etc is just wasting energy. The boy is the best 2 metre forward I've ever seen. Twice as good as Everitt below his knees and shooting at goal... more versatile than McKernan in his better days... towells up Burton...

With Molloy unable to dominate for even half a game, N. Davis gone, Leon benched by MM and Pidaks expected to do too much, suddenly our kick-arse forward line is struggling with only Pebbles and Taz shouldering the whole burden - yet Fraser is benchwarming? What's that all about MM?

Don't forget though Fraser did have the ankle injury... they're possibly resting Frase because of the after-effects of that. I hope so though based on MM's madness of late, I think the decision to bench Frase is just another bad decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: