Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

censorship?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicholas 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:24 am
Post subject: censorship?Reply with quote

Noticed a girl asked an innocent question about a player on Chicks channel. Some narrow-minded (fub), person wants it censored and it disappears. Does this forum believe in freedom of speech?
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicholas, I dunno the specific incident you refer too, but this next paragraph is quoted from a discussion on the mods board...

"You have no idea how often people cry 'freedom of speech' when they aren't allowed to say what they want on the Bulletin Board. You never hear anything about it at any other time. No, freedom of speech did not go out the window, because it was never here. There is no such thing as 'freedom of speech' on the Bulletin Board - never has been. Why do you think we have moderators? If speech was 'free' they wouldn't have anything to do."

If you have a problem, email the mods, but as far as 'freedom of speech' goes, you'll be having an argument you won't win. Last I checked, you don't have 'freedom of speech' in the country you reside in, it's not 'enshrined' in a bill of rights. There are a set of 'rules' regarding posting content, i.e. Please note that posts containing abuse, defamation or gratuitous profanity will be removed or modified.

Who decides what is worthy of deletion or editing? Mods do, and they tend to err on the side of caution. Like it, or lump it.
Nicholas 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:14 am

there was nothing outrageous about what I posted. Someone asked a question about a past player who apparently you are not allowed to talk about or even mention. I suggested that this person was immature because she asks for the topic to be wiped. I don't care about the player involved but if we are consistent we don't talk about any past players because if we ban one what about others who left for money etc. Why do we restrict topics that in no way have incriminating material? Why should some people be so precious?
Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:40 pm

Nicholas - the answer to your question is no, this forum does not beleive in freedom of speech. and that's a good thing. Otherwise there'd be big footy style abuse and no real input about this mighty club.

As far as censorship goes, I don't think this is as much an issue of censorship (although it does occur here too) as it is about practicality. Why was the previous post, that I haven't read, posted, and what will it acheive? It may have been posted quite innocently, however it probably would've blown up into a huge slanging match. Like I said, I haven't read it, but that's likely the reason it was removed.

Likewise, there is no need to remove topics about other past players as they do not provoke the same response.

Hope this cleared up your query.

- Ben
Danzy Rocks!!! 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:44 pm

Nicholas

I deleted that topic because all I could see coming was another fight between the Nick-lovers and the Nick-haters. There have been plenty of discussions back Nick and I reckon we've said all we can say about him already... why bother with another topic??

When I read it, it seemed clear to me that someone would get upset, pissed off, etc. I could have left it and regret deleting it (I think if I left it it would have been deleted later, by me or another mod), I could have locked it but it would still be there. So I chose to delete it.

I'm sorry if you don't agree with my actions but I honestly didn't see the point of arguments caused over him.
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:15 pm

oh, its all about him again Rolling Eyes
ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:03 pm

London Dave wrote:

If you have a problem, email the mods, but as far as 'freedom of speech' goes, you'll be having an argument you won't win. Last I checked, you don't have 'freedom of speech' in the country you reside in, it's not 'enshrined' in a bill of rights. There are a set of 'rules' regarding posting content, i.e. Please note that posts containing abuse, defamation or gratuitous profanity will be removed or modified.

Who decides what is worthy of deletion or editing? Mods do, and they tend to err on the side of caution. Like it, or lump it.

For the record, for the country we are in. As London Dave said we don't have a Bill of Rights (unlike the US). In our Constitution the only right we have is a right to follow a religion and that religion is not specified - so it does not have to be Christianity. In my case my religion is Collingwood. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: